Cheapest sim card for Europe data

Posted 22nd Dec 2022
hey im flying to Portugal but they charge 2quid a day to use my data. is there a sim can pick up now from the corner shop and top up which is a better option. thank you
Community Updates
New Comment

14 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    E_Sel Author
    Thank you. Can I pick either of these 2 from a corner shop or is it online order only?
    KodaBear
    How long are you going for and how much data do you need?

I personally use the special travel SIMs (also available as an eSIM) from Orange - travel.orange.com but lots of others tend to pick up a UK SIM from Smarty or LycaMobile too.
    E_Sel Author
    2 weeks.
    RehanKhan
    Did you found its answer?
    rrb68
    I did a Lebara sim for a month in October to use in Cyprus. Just beware though that although it's a 15GB sim, I think that the roaming has a limit of 10GB, so you may want to check the terms of the roaming data for the sim deal.
    E_Sel Author
    Will do cheers
    AndyRoyd
    Standard Three PAYG SIM + 30day bundle with your choice of data upto 12GB monthly roaming limit.

Total £9.20 for SIM+16GB bundle (max 12GB EU roaming) shifted directly by Amazon:
    amazon.co.uk/Thr…14/
    or buy SIM from corner shop at around £1, then add topup value, then convert the topup to the bundle of your choice.

If you think you will need more than 12GB, buy multiple SIM+12GB bundles, & activate (all) SIM(s) in UK prior to travel.

May be a faff & not a great saving compared to total circa £30 to use your existing (but unstated) roaming data allowance limit in EU.
    Daaaavvveee
    I used Simtex bought a e-sim that lasted 10 days when I was last in America, worked brilliantly, will be doing that again!

P.s, not sure what’s happened with the url (edited)
    Onlydongles
    I tried Lebara in Portugal and 5G works good , but could not use the data in a Portbale Mifi ( Huawei 4G AND the ZTE MU5001 5G Voda deal on here) . Lebara didnt know how to resolve this, but suspect they disable its use in a router !

Regarding eSIMs, I am still on the fence whether to replace my handset with a eSIm capable one OR buy that Physical "eSIm.me" in a dual sim handset and be done with. ( costs £30 plus tax, whic is offputting)
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants