Posted 22nd Dec 2022
hey im flying to Portugal but they charge 2quid a day to use my data. is there a sim can pick up now from the corner shop and top up which is a better option. thank you
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

15 Comments

sorted by
  1. Avatar
    Author
    Thank you. Can I pick either of these 2 from a corner shop or is it online order only?
  2. Avatar
    How long are you going for and how much data do you need?

I personally use the special travel SIMs (also available as an eSIM) from Orange - travel.orange.com but lots of others tend to pick up a UK SIM from Smarty or LycaMobile too.
    Author
    2 weeks.
  3. Avatar
    Did you found its answer?
  4. Avatar
    I did a Lebara sim for a month in October to use in Cyprus. Just beware though that although it's a 15GB sim, I think that the roaming has a limit of 10GB, so you may want to check the terms of the roaming data for the sim deal.
    Author
    Will do cheers
  5. Avatar
    Standard Three PAYG SIM + 30day bundle with your choice of data upto 12GB monthly roaming limit.

Total £9.20 for SIM+16GB bundle (max 12GB EU roaming) shifted directly by Amazon:
    amazon.co.uk/Thr…14/
    or buy SIM from corner shop at around £1, then add topup value, then convert the topup to the bundle of your choice.

If you think you will need more than 12GB, buy multiple SIM+12GB bundles, & activate (all) SIM(s) in UK prior to travel.

May be a faff & not a great saving compared to total circa £30 to use your existing (but unstated) roaming data allowance limit in EU.
  6. Avatar
    I used Simtex bought a e-sim that lasted 10 days when I was last in America, worked brilliantly, will be doing that again!

P.s, not sure what’s happened with the url (edited)
  7. Avatar
    I tried Lebara in Portugal and 5G works good , but could not use the data in a Portbale Mifi ( Huawei 4G AND the ZTE MU5001 5G Voda deal on here) . Lebara didnt know how to resolve this, but suspect they disable its use in a router !

Regarding eSIMs, I am still on the fence whether to replace my handset with a eSIm capable one OR buy that Physical "eSIm.me" in a dual sim handset and be done with. ( costs £30 plus tax, whic is offputting)
    Did you set the correct Lebara APN rather than the Vodafone one that it will automatically apply?

Lebara don’t ban SIM cards from any devices.
Top Merchants