Expired

Cheapest to run .......Induction hob or gas hob?

Found 1st Nov 2014
Hi all,

Just about to commit to buying a new kitchen, currently we've got a 4 ring gas hob which is in perfect working order but just seen this:

appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/4…hob

And its stating that its 30% more efficient than gas and also in my opinion it will look better and is also easier to clean.

So just wondered in the long run would this be a better option to buy, and cheaper to run what with the difference in gas prices and electric prices?

I'm sure someone has already worked this out already so would be appreciated if they could share their knowledge :-)

Cheers

18 Comments

The significant efficiency improvements offered by induction are probably & unfortunately offset by the higher cost of electricity. If there is a saving, you would probably have to use it a lot to notice anything significant in savings. Plus when you factor in the upfront cost/effort of buying the appliance, and installing it and disposing of the old one I'd say it's not going to make much of a difference at all. Happy to be corrected by someone that knows more/better about such things.
Of course this doesn't factor in emotional or practical considerations, i.e. how much you want to splash out on a new appliance, and any gains on time saved waiting for pans to heat, extra cleaning involved etc etc

Don't forget that you have to have special pans (ie expensive) for an induction hob - your current ones may not be suitable...!

had a new induction hob for about 4 months now.
They heat up almost as quick as gas, the heat is generated directly in the pan steel so no waiting for transfer.
They do not require "special" pans just steel ones, as my mrs had got rid of all out aluminium pans over heath issues we didn't have to buy any new.
The rings(plate) are much easier to clean as they don't get hot until heat is transferred from the pan itself so if the ring is not on long its much cooler than any other method.
Only downside i have found to them is "simmering" is tricky. the model we have uses the microwave method of percentage of time "on"
So if you set the ring to level 3 it switch's itself off and on say 3 seconds in every 10, this means that stuff you want to keep moving may settle.

Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies, the majority of the pans etc we've got are the Tefal teflon ones like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tefal-Intensium-30-cm-Frypan/dp/B005O9QXG2/ref=sr_1_12/277-7352921-6220457?ie=UTF8&qid=1414840083&sr=8-12&keywords=tefal+non-stick+pan

So like you've mentioned i'm not even sure these will work, or will they?

If not think i'll stick to the gas one we've got as thats also got a big ring (lol, sorry (_;) ) for use with woks and the like.

steevieboy4u

Thanks for all the replies, the majority of the pans etc we've got are … Thanks for all the replies, the majority of the pans etc we've got are the Tefal teflon ones like this:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tefal-Intensium-30-cm-Frypan/dp/B005O9QXG2/ref=sr_1_12/277-7352921-6220457?ie=UTF8&qid=1414840083&sr=8-12&keywords=tefal+non-stick+panSo like you've mentioned i'm not even sure these will work, or will they?If not think i'll stick to the gas one we've got as thats also got a big ring (lol, sorry (_;) ) for use with woks and the like.

Just clicked your link to pan ... second bullet point says 'Suitable for all heat sources except induction' ...

Haven't looked for a few years but gas /kWh was a third that of electricity /kWh.

Induction pans need to be magnetic based, just try a magnet on the base of the pan, if it sticks, it will be OK.

Much cleaner to use than gas.

Original Poster

Thanks all, at work at the moment so can do the magnet test.

Think i'm going to stick with what ive got though, better the devil you know and all that and what with the £200-£300 additional upfront cost it out weighs the possible saving

steevieboy4u

Thanks all, at work at the moment so can do the magnet test. Think i'm … Thanks all, at work at the moment so can do the magnet test. Think i'm going to stick with what ive got though, better the devil you know and all that and what with the £200-£300 additional upfront cost it out weighs the possible saving

induction hobs don't have to be that expensive ours was cheaper, check out AO.com, for how little most people tend to use hobs energy/money saving isn't really a consideration in buying induction, my wife insisted on ours based on looks,safety and easy cleaning which is fine for her as i do most of the cooking lol
personally i like gas for cooking but my area has no mains gas, next best to me would be a combo with 2x induction and two times halogen but no one makes one.

steevieboy4u

Thanks for all the replies, the majority of the pans etc we've got are … Thanks for all the replies, the majority of the pans etc we've got are the Tefal teflon ones like this:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tefal-Intensium-30-cm-Frypan/dp/B005O9QXG2/ref=sr_1_12/277-7352921-6220457?ie=UTF8&qid=1414840083&sr=8-12&keywords=tefal+non-stick+panSo like you've mentioned i'm not even sure these will work, or will they?If not think i'll stick to the gas one we've got as thats also got a big ring (lol, sorry (_;) ) for use with woks and the like.

If you read the description on Amazon that your link opens up, it clearly states "Suitable for all heat sources except induction"

The best way to test your pots and pans is to get a magnet and put it on the bottom and if magnetic, your ok (not sides as some saucepans are made of steel on the sides with aluminium encapsulation on the base)

esar

If you read the description on Amazon that your link opens up, it clearly … If you read the description on Amazon that your link opens up, it clearly states "Suitable for all heat sources except induction"The best way to test your pots and pans is to get a magnet and put it on the bottom and if magnetic, your ok (not sides as some saucepans are made of steel on the sides with aluminium encapsulation on the base)

he's already been told that but some of the tefal red spot pans are steel we have one and it works fine so the OP saying they are "like" this is not much of a guide.

Gas also has the advantage if the leccy goes out locally, you can still have a bit of heating!

Some thing not mentioned, even by manufacturers / retailers is that you shouldnt use an induction hob if you or anyone in the house has a pacemaker
not a consideration for you perhaps but worth noting for anyone else who stumbles upon this thread at a later stage

Banned

mrwhitelabel

Some thing not mentioned, even by manufacturers / retailers is that you … Some thing not mentioned, even by manufacturers / retailers is that you shouldnt use an induction hob if you or anyone in the house has a pacemakernot a consideration for you perhaps but worth noting for anyone else who stumbles upon this thread at a later stage

as the british heart foundation only recommend keeping a distance of 2ft when using an induction hob, its not surprising no one has mentioned not using one if someone in the house has a pacemaker

esar

Gas also has the advantage if the leccy goes out locally, you can still … Gas also has the advantage if the leccy goes out locally, you can still have a bit of heating!

and if the gas goes off???

Use the microwave for cooking and an electric blanket for keeping warm

kingtreelo

and if the gas goes off???

Pee in a bottle and hug it.

whatsThePoint

as the british heart foundation only recommend keeping a distance of 2ft … as the british heart foundation only recommend keeping a distance of 2ft when using an induction hob, its not surprising no one has mentioned not using one if someone in the house has a pacemaker

just repeating what I read in which magazine
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions