Groups
    EXPIRED

Cheapest to run/insurance hatchback for 21 yr old?

Hey, i'm looking to get a car to get me around/get some experience. I'm 21 and just passed this yr so insurance is naturally going to be a bit high.

I know owning a car is expensive but I'm looking for the absolute cheapest to run used hatchback in terms of insurance/fuel costs/maintenance parts & any other costs. Also other than power, is it worth looking for a diesel over a petrol?

Anything but a Nissan micra would suffice, i'm willing to get a black box and all the other stuff as i'm far from a boy racer!

24 Comments

My nephews got Corsa's. No point paying the extra premium for diesel (do they even do Corsa's in diesel?) as the mpg is pretty decent already.

Original Poster

The_IMF

My nephews got Corsa's. No point paying the extra premium for diesel (do … My nephews got Corsa's. No point paying the extra premium for diesel (do they even do Corsa's in diesel?) as the mpg is pretty decent already.

what year corsas?

Don't bother with diesel, tax and insurance is usually higher and a small petrol will only have slightly less mpg. Petrol are more reliable too.

Citroen C1/ Peugeot 107/ Toyota Aygo...

This really depends on your budget! an older small cheap run around as mentioned above would be great on a lower budget but if you have a little more to spend the Peugeot just add fuel offer is good, although you do have to have a telemetrics box installed so no racing!!!

Original Poster

andylee210

This really depends on your budget! an older small cheap run around as … This really depends on your budget! an older small cheap run around as mentioned above would be great on a lower budget but if you have a little more to spend the Peugeot just add fuel offer is good, although you do have to have a telemetrics box installed so no racing!!!

my budget is pretty much £1.5K or less, and then insurance added so I'm gonna have to look for a bargain used car.

i'm very keen on telematics lol, since I'm really not into speed and would rather save money wherever possible (for the time being anyway).

makes and models don't really make much of a difference to insurance at your age, anything under like a 1.2 will be much of a muchness with prices.

As a new driver what your paying for in insurance is your higher risk of having an accident, and claiming yourself or having someone else claim against you, so your choice of car really doesn't matter much.

Chuck a grand at an old small hatchback and use it as a tool to build a year or two worth of no claims, your insurance is still likely to be eye watering expensive at first though.

I think they're a decade old. There's a website that tells you what to look out for when you check them out (google is your friend) but should be able to find them sub £1k.

Original Poster

eset12345

makes and models don't really make much of a difference to insurance at … makes and models don't really make much of a difference to insurance at your age, anything under like a 1.2 will be much of a muchness with prices.As a new driver what your paying for in insurance is your higher risk of having an accident, and claiming yourself or having someone else claim against you, so your choice of car really doesn't matter much.Chuck a grand at an old small hatchback and use it as a tool to build a year or two worth of no claims, your insurance is still likely to be eye watering expensive at first though.

yup thats when i intend on doing. Going to try to build my ncb instead of being a 2nd driver.

i mainly wanted to consider makes because of mpg.

eset12345

makes and models don't really make much of a difference to insurance at … makes and models don't really make much of a difference to insurance at your age, anything under like a 1.2 will be much of a muchness with prices.As a new driver what your paying for in insurance is your higher risk of having an accident, and claiming yourself or having someone else claim against you, so your choice of car really doesn't matter much.Chuck a grand at an old small hatchback and use it as a tool to build a year or two worth of no claims, your insurance is still likely to be eye watering expensive at first though.

Exactly I had a 1.6 litre focus as my first car which was only about £50 more a year in insurance when compared with a Corsa

ukting

yup thats when i intend on doing. Going to try to build my ncb instead of … yup thats when i intend on doing. Going to try to build my ncb instead of being a 2nd driver. i mainly wanted to consider makes because of mpg.

Generally you don't build no claims being a named driver and if you do its with the same insurer which probably won't be the best deal.

Original Poster

joedastudd

Generally you don't build no claims being a named driver and if you do … Generally you don't build no claims being a named driver and if you do its with the same insurer which probably won't be the best deal.

yeah i know, but would I be able to add my mum or dad as a second to get the quote down a bit?

A Nissan Micra is actually a good and safe bet !!!!!!

ukting

yeah i know, but would I be able to add my mum or dad as a second to get … yeah i know, but would I be able to add my mum or dad as a second to get the quote down a bit?

​yes adding your mum and/or dad will reduce your insurance. beware increasing the excess to bring the price down, although you only pay excess for damage you do to your own car, not what you (hopefully won't)do to someone elses.

Original Poster

Haliviel

​yes adding your mum and/or dad will reduce your insurance. beware i … ​yes adding your mum and/or dad will reduce your insurance. beware increasing the excess to bring the price down, although you only pay excess for damage you do to your own car, not what you (hopefully won't)do to someone elses.

if im getting a banger or something around the £500-600 mark, is it worth setting the excess to £500 or whatever the value of the car is since I will probably replace it in the event of an accident/write off. I'm a very defensive driver + Im getting a dash cam. Or am I missing something here?

My lad has been looking at either a 1.2 fiesta ( the square shaped one ) about a 07 plate or a fiat grand punto 1.2 07 plate and both alot of car for the money and not too bad on the insurance for his first car

Go for a car at higher end of your budget. In an accident a £500 car will usually be written off even for minor panel damage compared to something at £1.5k. This reflects in your insurance premium you pay. Change the value you set on the exact same car from £500 to £2,000 will reduce the premiums.
    My other half went for old Astra 1.6 eco (prior to eco flex). Cheap to insure and cheap to tax with a decent size boot.
    Edited by: "Islamicchaplain" 9th Sep 2016

Original Poster

Islamicchaplain

Go for a car at higher end of your budget. In an accident a £500 car will … Go for a car at higher end of your budget. In an accident a £500 car will usually be written off even for minor panel damage compared to something at £1.5k. This reflects in your insurance premium you pay. Change the value you set on the exact same car from £500 to £2,000 will reduce the premiums.My other half went for old Astra 1.6 eco (prior to eco flex). Cheap to insure and cheap to tax with a decent size boot.

but if I'm trying to get a low quote, isn't getting a car at the higher end of my budget counter-intuitive?

why not just get a £500 car, set the excess as high as possible and get low premiums?

ukting

why not just get a £500 car, set the excess as high as possible and get … why not just get a £500 car, set the excess as high as possible and get low premiums?

Exactly what I would do in in your situation. Unless you really need the car (ie you have a job which is impossible to get to by public transport), buy cheap until your premiums drop. In my experience of bangernomics there isn't a huge amount of difference in reliability between a £1,500 car and a £500 one anyway.

Any particular reason you don't like Micras, I'd go for one over a Corsa or a Ka?

Ford Fiesta or Skoda Fabia?

Original Poster

spoo

Exactly what I would do in in your situation. Unless you really need the … Exactly what I would do in in your situation. Unless you really need the car (ie you have a job which is impossible to get to by public transport), buy cheap until your premiums drop. In my experience of bangernomics there isn't a huge amount of difference in reliability between a £1,500 car and a £500 one anyway. Any particular reason you don't like Micras, I'd go for one over a Corsa or a Ka?

im just after a car to gain experience + lower premiums. Not really essential at this point but no harm in building ncbs.

i'm just keen on either a corsa/polo, not sure why lol.

Corsa headgaskets are common issues, they also like to burn oil, Polo is a better option, Fiesta is a good all rounder and a safe bet.

Golf 2.0 tdi are quite cheap to run and insure
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Back to European satellite tv43
      2. Any now tv entertainment offers going on???22
      3. cheap glasses websites67
      4. Virgin Media - what is a good price?620

See more discussions