Cheapest train tickets?

Found 27th Jul 2017
I'm hoping to take my kids on holiday in October there will be 2 adults and 3 kids with an infant travelling. we have a family railcard

travelling from Glasgow to Newcastle

I can only find tickets that are about £120 ish

even with advanced booking
what sites do others use?

thanks in advance for advice

Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
12 Comments
What are the exact dates you are travelling?

You have a few options:
1) Look for advance fares (you have to book for specific times for trains and if you miss them you may have to pay extra) on various operator websites.
2) Split ticketing websites (can sometimes save 50% + )
3) Megabus / Megatrain is a good site for very cheap fares and Glasgow to Newcastle is a route option. Fares are not yet available, but will be in about a months time. Some fares in August from Glasgow to Newcastle are as low as £4p/p!

You may be to early!! Most sites only release advance fares 12 weeks in advance

EDIT: Just had a look and you can get singles for £28 each way (£56 in total) so well worth a look now
Edited by: "copplehead" 27th Jul 2017
Original Poster
copplehead28 m ago

What are the exact dates you are travelling?You have a few options:1) Look …What are the exact dates you are travelling?You have a few options:1) Look for advance fares (you have to book for specific times for trains and if you miss them you may have to pay extra) on various operator websites.2) Split ticketing websites (can sometimes save 50% + )3) Megabus / Megatrain is a good site for very cheap fares and Glasgow to Newcastle is a route option. Fares are not yet available, but will be in about a months time. Some fares in August from Glasgow to Newcastle are as low as £4p/p!You may be to early!! Most sites only release advance fares 12 weeks in advance EDIT: Just had a look and you can get singles for £28 each way (£56 in total) so well worth a look now

Which site did you get each way for £28? Was that for each of us or as a group of 5?
lynne192

Which site did you get each way for £28? Was that for each of us or as a … Which site did you get each way for £28? Was that for each of us or as a group of 5?

Maybe thanking them for the effort they have put in might be nice.
As suggested, try someone like split ticketing a ticket splitting website.
Edited by: "windym" 27th Jul 2017
dont bother with any other sites as they all charge the same price but some will charge you booking fees. On east costs own website it is pretty easy to see cheaper fares, on that route split the tickets at Berwick Upon Tweed or occassional Alnmouth.

Tho if your saying £120 is for all 5 of you im not sure what your issue is as just over £20 each return seems a decent deal
lynne192

Which site did you get each way for £28? Was that for each of us or as a … Which site did you get each way for £28? Was that for each of us or as a group of 5?

Trainline, £56 return for everyone.
Original Poster
copplehead5 m ago

Trainline, £56 return for everyone.

Great thank you. I've looked as we're returning on Friday it's more expensive but like you've suggested it's cheaper with singles going there it is as cheap as £28 most of the day which I brilliant. Will keep eye on them as someone said may come down again
Original Poster
jase.212 h, 38 m ago

dont bother with any other sites as they all charge the same price but …dont bother with any other sites as they all charge the same price but some will charge you booking fees. On east costs own website it is pretty easy to see cheaper fares, on that route split the tickets at Berwick Upon Tweed or occassional Alnmouth.Tho if your saying £120 is for all 5 of you im not sure what your issue is as just over £20 each return seems a decent deal

Thanks will try this too. I tried splitting it up in Edinburgh but made it more expensive but will try Berwick split

£120 is alot of money if you can get it for £57 for all to return which those above have found. It's always nice to save money isn't that the point of these sites?

As above found Trainline by far the cheapest and most charge booking fees
Edited by: "lynne192" 28th Jul 2017
Original Poster
windym13 h, 36 m ago

As suggested, try someone like split ticketing a ticket splitting website.

Thanks will try this as well
Original Poster
Has anyone tried or done cash back sites for train tickets too
If you can pop in to the station and speak to a member of staff they often tell you when cheap tickets are going to be released
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants