Cheapest Watch / Wrist Device to use with Samsung Health?

Found 26th May 2017
Since being diagnosed with diabetes 6 weeks ago, and being obese, i've taken up gentle fitness i.e walking. I'm up to 6 miles a day and started jogging a little as well.
I carry my S8+ in my pocket so i can track my activity through Samsung Health, though when i started jogging this morning, it fell out but lucky the case took all the impact!

I'm very new to wearables, i'm taking it by wearing a device means i can leave my phone at home and they sync when i get back?

So what i would like to do is buy a 2nd hand (don't have much money) device so i can wear that instead of taking my phone. But i would like to stick with Samsung Health as the wife does her activities indoors and we compare each others data and find it a great motivation tool.

Can anyone advise of what i can expect to pay for a 2nd hand device that i can use with the S8+, and what they are?

Thanks
Community Updates
15 Comments
I dont know what Samsung health is but most devices will have their own apps to sync to. The Samsung health app should have an option to add/sync compatible devices in options of which will tell you what you can specifically use for that app.
I would however recommend a second hand Garmin fenix 3, they can be found on Amazon warehouse for about £200 or new for £250.
It will give you a trackable gps maps so you can view your walks. Calories, distance, speed, heart rate ( with strap ) unless you are lucky enough to get the H/R wrist version that cheap. Daily goals and anything else you want to add. If taking your phone it also has bluetooth music so you can control the phone music via the watch plus call and message notifications can be displayed on the watch.
Original Poster
Sorry i should have stated my budget is under £100
If you can find one cheap on eBay try getting a Sony Smartwatch 3. Some people will shout me down because it won't get updated to the latest wear 2.0 but for the money it will do everything you need, and tbh wear 2.0 isn't that good! It has built in GPS, Bluetooth (of course), allows you to store and play music whilst doing your activity and it works with many apps like Strava, Runtastic, Endomondo etc. Should work fine with your Samsung too!
TomTom do GPS watches for under £100 new but Ive never used them. Ive only ever used Garmin or Suunto. Maybe have a look on Amazon warehouse and type Garmin to see whats available for under £100, then look at the specs and see if thats the type of watch for you.
Samsung have their own fitness band called Gear Fit. I think any fitness tracker would do what you're looking for, they can be had for fairly cheap, but I'm not sure if they would all work with the Samsung app. You may be able to get an original Gear Fit for not much money now, as the current model is Gear Fit2 which came out last year
Original Poster
Evouk

If you can find one cheap on eBay try getting a Sony Smartwatch 3. Some … If you can find one cheap on eBay try getting a Sony Smartwatch 3. Some people will shout me down because it won't get updated to the latest wear 2.0 but for the money it will do everything you need, and tbh wear 2.0 isn't that good! It has built in GPS, Bluetooth (of course), allows you to store and play music whilst doing your activity and it works with many apps like Strava, Runtastic, Endomondo etc. Should work fine with your Samsung too!

I would be very interested if anyone can confirm if the SWR50 works with Samsung Health?

Otherwise i think the Gear Fit2 would suit my needs, but i like the idea of having a smart watch, rather than just a fitness tracker.
If you have to use Samsung health there is a list of compatible devices in the app. All made by Samsung.
saintscouple

Otherwise i think the Gear Fit2 would suit my needs, but i like the idea … Otherwise i think the Gear Fit2 would suit my needs, but i like the idea of having a smart watch, rather than just a fitness tracker.

I have the original Gear Fit, it can do stuff like playing music, seeing who's calling, displaying messages and emails, and sending preset replies. And there are a few other apps you can download to give it more functionality such as RSS feeds, calculator, and others
Gear fit
I have a Sony sw3 and would like a gear fit to use Samsung health. The sw3 is more use if you were using Google's health app.
Would recommend the Gear Fit2 I've had one since it launched in the UK. Been using it with Samsung Health app and works very well with it. (been using it on a LG G3) and syncs its data with the app. So even you can also it without having the phone, useful when you go for a walk or jog and you dont want to bring the phone. Very good all rounder but its a shame its not fully waterproof otherwise I would use it for swimming.
Original Poster
Thanks all, just bought a Gear Fit2, new off gumtree for £50..... now to try and work out how to use it.
saintscouple

Thanks all, just bought a Gear Fit2, new off gumtree for £50..... now to … Thanks all, just bought a Gear Fit2, new off gumtree for £50..... now to try and work out how to use it.

Good deal
Great deal, as I've been looking at £100 on gumtree
Original Poster
Yeah, they were £100 locally to me too, but so many out there due to them being given out free with the s7 edge, so just emailed them all offering £50, and luckily for me one was desperate for the money
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions