Groups

Cheapest way of watching avi films off a usb stick on my TV?

Banned
    I have really come to love and appreciate my Xbox 360s ability to play avi movies off a USB stick, it certainly beats burning a DVD everytime we want to watch a movie on the proper tv instead of laptop screen. Anyway, the 360 is fairly hefty and Im not keen on moving about the house, it stays upstairs.
    So I am looking at buying something that we can use on the TV's downstairs that will allow me to plug a usb stick in to the front of it and accepts avi movie files. I dont really care if its a cheap DVD player or some other device. I am not even sure if they exist to be honest.

Thanks

10 Comments

Original Poster Banned

wow, that is ugly! might do the trick though, its only going to get battered taking from room to room anyway.

Bought one of these for Xmas. Pretty good write up and a lot of functions. Think it will do what you need and as a benefit is an upscaler too..
    ]http//ww…ye/
    I only paid £30 quid and I am sure you could get a similat deal if you shop about.

Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

Rockhound;1469965

Bought one of these for Xmas. Pretty good write up and a lot of … Bought one of these for Xmas. Pretty good write up and a lot of functions. Think it will do what you need and as a benefit is an upscaler too..]http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/123569/today-only-sumvision-hdmi-dvd-playe/I only paid £30 quid and I am sure you could get a similat deal if you shop about.Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

That's what I bought a sumvision for £30-£35 for ebuyer.com , found it did low resolution. After researching on the internet on various UK Audio Visual forums found that many people said it did not upscale to high resolution. This was confirmed by ebuyer after sales. The upscale word was misused. I checked last night the model is no longer on their web site. It may upscale a bit but not to the full HD as we all know it from all the LCD TV capable of full HD. But the Sumvsion was still excellent value for people with 37" of less LCD. So now returned the Sumvision and bought a Pioneer DV-600 DVD upscaler with USB port in the front. This produces far better colours but cost 3X as much as the Sumvision. Alternative good buys are the two Philips models DVp5980 and DVP5960 which are very popular as they start from £38, both have USB port. The cheaper Pioneer DV400 is the best value of them all for quality,build and colours. This has USB port too. DV600 has extra functions that 98% of people would never use, e,g. SACD. All the models that I suggested support the official Divx ( so some Xvid may not work which strays off the divx definition).

I brought one of these DVD's players in may and its great for DivX , AVI files comes with a HDMI input and up scales too

]HERE is the link to the argos page :thumbsup:

What about one of those third party magic eyes?

That way you can watch your movies playing downstairs, upstairs. About a fiver on ebay I believe.

Any good?

geoneo123;1470232

I brought one of these DVD's players in may and its great for DivX , AVI … I brought one of these DVD's players in may and its great for DivX , AVI files comes with a HDMI input and up scales too]HERE is the link to the argos page :thumbsup:

Looks noice!
    40 quid at amazon.
    amazon.co.uk/o/A…V82

Original Poster Banned

zarguio;1470251

What about one of those third party magic eyes? That way you can watch … What about one of those third party magic eyes? That way you can watch your movies playing downstairs, upstairs. About a fiver on ebay I believe.Any good?

never even heard the term 'magic eyes' before, except for those optical illusions. Is it a way of streaming video over your home network? A bit like how a computer can stream to an xbox?

anyone know if the xbox 360 will play avi files on a disc

Original Poster Banned

yes it will. it plays them directly from a usb stick so definately a disc. your better off just using a usb stick though, saves you burning a new disc everytime, unless of course you are using RW discs
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tradesmen battery power tools.22
      2. Budget gaming pc with capability of overclock ?23
      3. Flights only Dominican Republic33
      4. Buy back on Euros to £££34

See more discussions