Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Cheapest way to acquire MS Office365?

Posted 25th NovEdited by:"deeky"
A friend wants MS Office365. I've advised her that there are free alternatives that come highly recommended but she is insistent on 365.

What's the cheapest way to get a legit, full (non-trial) version please?

Edit: I've just been looking at prices and it seems they are only 1 year licences? Can't you just buy a copy with a one-off payment that lasts indefinitely?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

34 Comments
Just buy a license off eBay for a fiver.
seabs25/11/2019 18:05

Just buy a license off eBay for a fiver.

I wanted legit because it's me who would have to sort it when it goes pear-shaped, and I cba with it
Biddy225/11/2019 18:08

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Student-one-time-purchase-Windows/dp/B07FYRSS4Q I use an older version of this. Gets me by ok.

Mind you, if it's a lifetime licence... cheers bids. Still looking at my options
Biddy225/11/2019 18:08

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Student-one-time-purchase-Windows/dp/B07FYRSS4Q I use an older version of this. Gets me by ok.

Hang on, what do you mean - 'older version'? Is that cheaper and legit?
Microsoft Home Use Program used to be great. I'd always get the latest incarnation of Office for about a tenner via it.

Not sure if that's applicable to your friend or not.
.Griff.25/11/2019 18:16

Microsoft Home Use Program used to be great. I'd always get the latest …Microsoft Home Use Program used to be great. I'd always get the latest incarnation of Office for about a tenner via it.Not sure if that's applicable to your friend or not.

I've just had a look but don't think she's eligible. Thanks anyway.
Office 365 is always a subscription, for a one off perpetual license you're looking at Office 2019 or earlier standalone versions.
deeky25/11/2019 18:14

Hang on, what do you mean - 'older version'? Is that cheaper and legit?

What I mean is, I bought it about 5 years ago, cheap, (paid about £40 I think) and am too tight to upgrade it to the latest version. I was like you are right now, refusing to pay a yearly sub for it because they all look the same to me.
Biddy225/11/2019 18:19

they all look the same to me.

not sure how you managed to slide that in
IamMT25/11/2019 18:18

Office 365 is always a subscription, for a one off perpetual license …Office 365 is always a subscription, for a one off perpetual license you're looking at Office 2019 or earlier standalone versions.

Ah, right. Does Office 2019 include Powerpoint, Excel etc? What's the difference? If they have the same then I assume 2019 is more expensive?

It's ok mate, I found the details
Edited by: "deeky" 25th Nov
deeky25/11/2019 18:25

Ah, right. Does Office 2019 include Powerpoint, Excel etc? What's the …Ah, right. Does Office 2019 include Powerpoint, Excel etc? What's the difference? If they have the same then I assume 2019 is more expensive?It's ok mate, I found the details

Yes, but not all editions. Here's Microsoft explaining office 2019 v 365

support.office.com/en-…b96
IamMT25/11/2019 18:32

As @Biddy2 said I use an older version eg …As @Biddy2 said I use an older version eg https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/org-microsoft-office-2016-windows

That looks more like it. Is there anything (pretty basic) you can't do with that older version? I appreciate you don't get any upgrades or anything with it.

The 4 things, Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Excel are all she needs.
deeky25/11/2019 18:35

That looks more like it. Is there anything (pretty basic) you can't do …That looks more like it. Is there anything (pretty basic) you can't do with that older version? I appreciate you don't get any upgrades or anything with it.The 4 things, Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Excel are all she needs.

Frankly, I haven't used a new feature since Office 97. There will be marketing bumf, but as a basic user I have never seen a must have on a later version.
deeky25/11/2019 18:35

That looks more like it. Is there anything (pretty basic) you can't do …That looks more like it. Is there anything (pretty basic) you can't do with that older version? I appreciate you don't get any upgrades or anything with it.The 4 things, Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Excel are all she needs.

Get the one that @IamMT linked to as you’ll get those 4 with that version. Newer editions are missing Powerpoint I think.

£26.99 too... Feel like I overpaid now.
Biddy225/11/2019 18:19

What I mean is, I bought it about 5 years ago, cheap, (paid about £40 I …What I mean is, I bought it about 5 years ago, cheap, (paid about £40 I think) and am too tight to upgrade it to the latest version. I was like you are right now, refusing to pay a yearly sub for it because they all look the same to me.

IamMT25/11/2019 18:38

Frankly, I haven't used a new feature since Office 97. There will be …Frankly, I haven't used a new feature since Office 97. There will be marketing bumf, but as a basic user I have never seen a must have on a later version.

That's brilliant and sounds perfect. Cheers, both, for you help
Expired now, thanks everyone.
Or LibreOffice if they really don't need Office365...
alexjameshaines25/11/2019 19:50

Or LibreOffice if they really don't need Office365...

Yeah, I did suggest that after reading the excellent reviews but she's adamant. Says she's used Office at work and knows how to use it. And she's paying so there's no point in me trying to persuade her otherwise.
I bought Microsoft office 2019 for £20 a few months ago and I would not hesitate in recommending it - it's very good.

I had used office 365 before that. It's exactly like office 365 and gets updates, has all the features that 365 has. Can't tell the difference at the moment. Maybe next year when 365 moves on and leaves 2019 behind but it's really very good.

I would say try it. If she doesn't like it she can get her money back. They've got a very helpful live chat. Before I bought it I made them promise all sorts and they were brilliant. Offered me my money back if I wasn't happy.

Can pay with PayPal too.

Here's the link
softmall.co.uk/pro…ry/
Gone down to £16.99 now.
Edited by: "notalwaysright19" 25th Nov
notalwaysright1925/11/2019 20:28

I bought Microsoft office 2019 for £20 a few months ago and I would not …I bought Microsoft office 2019 for £20 a few months ago and I would not hesitate in recommending it - it's very good. I had used office 365 before that. It's exactly like office 365 and gets updates, has all the features that 365 has. Can't tell the difference at the moment. Maybe next year when 365 moves on and leaves 2019 behind but it's really very good. I would say try it. If she doesn't like it she can get her money back. They've got a very helpful live chat. Before I bought it I made them promise all sorts and they were brilliant. Offered me my money back if I wasn't happy. Can pay with PayPal too.Here's the linkhttps://softmall.co.uk/product/microsoft-office-2019-home-and-student-instant-delivery/Gone down to £16.99 now.

Thanks for that. No offence but I think I'd rather stick with the older version from Groupon, I know that will be legit. I really don't want any issues and a few reviews say they've had some problems. Appreciate it though
You know there's a free web version of office online which includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, all you need is an MS account.

products.office.com/en-…web
4Real201625/11/2019 20:47

You know there's a free web version of office online which includes Word, …You know there's a free web version of office online which includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, all you need is an MS account.https://products.office.com/en-gb/free-office-online-for-the-web

Thanks, I'll send her the link
deeky25/11/2019 20:45

...I think I'd rather stick with the older version from Groupon, I know …...I think I'd rather stick with the older version from Groupon, I know that will be legit. I really don't want any issues...

Call me a cynic (AR you're a cynic) but that Groupon option looks less than legit. It seems to resemble the dubious £5 ebay options but with a pimped front provided by Groupon to justify / convey a comforting higher price, cos if it's a higher price it's gotta be legit, innit?
Maybe check the (any?) trading credentials of the Dutch supplier prior to hoping to potentially avoid future more expensive grief than the cheaper ebay grief.
deeky25/11/2019 20:45

Thanks for that. No offence but I think I'd rather stick with the older …Thanks for that. No offence but I think I'd rather stick with the older version from Groupon, I know that will be legit. I really don't want any issues and a few reviews say they've had some problems. Appreciate it though

Microsoft stops sales of the old version a year after the new version has been released, so only Office 2019 and possibly 2016 would be 'legit' in the sense that Microsoft was getting some of the money you paid. Basically only versions the established computer shops carry.

Older versions may be legal to sell under the laws around second hand software but it seems to be a bit of a grey area. And unfortunately the sellers of those old versions tend not to be very upfront about where they're coming from.
EndlessWaves25/11/2019 22:06

Microsoft stops sales of the old version a year after the new version has …Microsoft stops sales of the old version a year after the new version has been released, so only Office 2019 and possibly 2016 would be 'legit' in the sense that Microsoft was getting some of the money you paid. Basically only versions the established computer shops carry. Older versions may be legal to sell under the laws around second hand software but it seems to be a bit of a grey area. And unfortunately the sellers of those old versions tend not to be very upfront about where they're coming from.

Do some digging and the Groupon s/w vendor states it is shifting used software but isn't too upfront about it, and certainly actively chooses not mention it on the Groupon page.
AndyRoyd25/11/2019 22:04

Call me a cynic (AR you're a cynic) but that Groupon option looks less …Call me a cynic (AR you're a cynic) but that Groupon option looks less than legit. It seems to resemble the dubious £5 ebay options but with a pimped front provided by Groupon to justify / convey a comforting higher price, cos if it's a higher price it's gotta be legit, innit?Maybe check the (any?) trading credentials of the Dutch supplier prior to hoping to potentially avoid future more expensive grief than the cheaper ebay grief.

You're such a cynic I'll have a look at the details.

'Who - CLIX is a young and dynamic company that specializes in pre-owned software for the business and private market'

Edited by: "deeky" 26th Nov
deeky26/11/2019 03:08

You're such a cynic I'll have a look at the details. 'Who - CLIX …You're such a cynic I'll have a look at the details. 'Who - CLIX is a young and dynamic company that specializes in pre-owned software for the business and private market'

A cynic may suggest a "young and dynamic" company is marketing-speak for a recently-formed fly-by-night hit-and-run operation that can run faster than Microsoft's lawyers.
AndyRoyd26/11/2019 10:35

A cynic may suggest a "young and dynamic" company is marketing-speak for a …A cynic may suggest a "young and dynamic" company is marketing-speak for a recently-formed fly-by-night hit-and-run operation that can run faster than Microsoft's lawyers.

uk.trustpilot.com/rev…com
AndyRoyd26/11/2019 10:35

A cynic may suggest a "young and dynamic" company is marketing-speak for a …A cynic may suggest a "young and dynamic" company is marketing-speak for a recently-formed fly-by-night hit-and-run operation that can run faster than Microsoft's lawyers.

Cheers Andy. She wants 2 licences now and there's 20% cashback today only (my commission ) so I think I'm gonna give Groupon a whirl after looking at the reviews.
IamMT26/11/2019 11:42

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/clixdistri.com

Cheers, that's help make my mind up, they look ok.
deeky26/11/2019 14:31

Cheers Andy. She wants 2 licences now and there's 20% cashback today only …Cheers Andy. She wants 2 licences now and there's 20% cashback today only (my commission ) so I think I'm gonna give Groupon a whirl after looking at the reviews. Cheers, that's help make my mind up, they look ok.

all will be fine until about 6-months or 12 months time when Microsoft starts deactivating the installation codes, then the reviews will start to reflect the reality of the product.
AndyRoyd26/11/2019 14:35

all will be fine until about 6-months or 12 months time when Microsoft …all will be fine until about 6-months or 12 months time when Microsoft starts deactivating the installation codes, then the reviews will start to reflect the reality of the product.

Meh. She hasn't got much dosh though and with no really viable alternatives for multiple users, other than the £80 a year for official Office 365, I think it's worth the risk at just over £20 apiece.
deeky26/11/2019 14:43

Meh. She hasn't got much dosh though and with no really viable … Meh. She hasn't got much dosh though and with no really viable alternatives for multiple users, other than the £80 a year for official Office 365, I think it's worth the risk at just over £20 apiece.

Mr Cynic he say: "if the user cannot afford a legitimate solution, opt for a bent one, but why pay for a bent solution?"
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants