Cheapest way to get 32GB RAM in an ATX or mATX case?

Found 14th Apr
Used servers from the likes of Dell are cheapest but unfortunately these do not fit traditional ATX/mATX pins. Consumer boards running DDR2 rarely go up to 32GB, DDR3 is very expensive and although DDR4 is accessible the newness makes overall package expensive.
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Why do you need 32GB of ram ?
DDR3 second hand is pretty cheap check CEX.
Bought 3x4GB DDR3 RAM from CEX recently for £30.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 14th Apr
kester7611 h, 8 m ago

Why do you need 32GB of ram ?

There's always one. Why do you need an i7 8700K?
bibizizi1 h, 11 m ago

There's always one. Why do you need an i7 8700K?

Mostly emulation and gaming. Writing code for my Samsung gear s2 needs an emulator that only supports Intel virtualisation. Ripping and converting needs the extra core. A lot of other reasons. Video work and other stuff.

Memory wise I originally went for 8GB of 3200 CL16 but bought 16GB 2x8GB CL14 due to time delays.

Ram is very expensive at the moment so I asked OP why he needed 32GB on any platform as people mostly have other specifications to fulfill. Might be OP is better off buying a m.2 nvme instead of the extra memory.
kester7613 m ago

Mostly emulation and gaming. Writing code for my Samsung gear s2 needs an …Mostly emulation and gaming. Writing code for my Samsung gear s2 needs an emulator that only supports Intel virtualisation. Ripping and converting needs the extra core. A lot of other reasons. Video work and other stuff.Memory wise I originally went for 8GB of 3200 CL16 but bought 16GB 2x8GB CL14 due to time delays. Ram is very expensive at the moment so I asked OP why he needed 32GB on any platform as people mostly have other specifications to fulfill. Might be OP is better off buying a m.2 nvme instead of the extra memory.

You don't need an i7 you want it. There is nothing in your use that won't run with an i5 or lower. You can make things up if you like in your "lot of other reasons" but that's the truth. There are many cases when a certain amount is RAM is needed otherwise the function required won't execute. It's not about running slow, it won't run. There is more to computing than playing games.
bibizizi8 m ago

You don't need an i7 you want it. There is nothing in your use that won't …You don't need an i7 you want it. There is nothing in your use that won't run with an i5 or lower. You can make things up if you like in your "lot of other reasons" but that's the truth. There are many cases when a certain amount is RAM is needed otherwise the function required won't execute. It's not about running slow, it won't run. There is more to computing than playing games.

Name one then as last time I checked swap files helped with that.
I want 32GB if RAM.
When I was importing 500 20MB RAW files tonight into Lightroom. With 1:1 and smart preview generation. I was routinely hitting the swap file. Which is on a Samsung 512GB 961 NVME drive.
While I don’t do this everyday. The tardiness of the process could add hours to my workflow.
Oneday7715 h, 29 m ago

I want 32GB if RAM. When I was importing 500 20MB RAW files tonight into …I want 32GB if RAM. When I was importing 500 20MB RAW files tonight into Lightroom. With 1:1 and smart preview generation. I was routinely hitting the swap file. Which is on a Samsung 512GB 961 NVME drive. While I don’t do this everyday. The tardiness of the process could add hours to my workflow.

Surprised you noticed it degrade in performance. Did you check performance monitor to see why you were getting so many faults ?
kester761 h, 6 m ago

Surprised you noticed it degrade in performance. Did you check performance …Surprised you noticed it degrade in performance. Did you check performance monitor to see why you were getting so many faults ?

Yeah. It was hitting the page file. As my physical RAM was saturated. There are processes that hit limits but for many they would be fine.
Oneday771 h, 7 m ago

Yeah. It was hitting the page file. As my physical RAM was saturated. …Yeah. It was hitting the page file. As my physical RAM was saturated. There are processes that hit limits but for many they would be fine.

Been a long time since I've maxed out physical ram, used to be a massive issue when you only had 640KB to play around with himem.sys to get all your drivers loaded
What memory did you go for and did the ram frequency alter the performance of the application ?
kester761 h, 59 m ago

Been a long time since I've maxed out physical ram, used to be a massive …Been a long time since I've maxed out physical ram, used to be a massive issue when you only had 640KB to play around with himem.sys to get all your drivers loaded What memory did you go for and did the ram frequency alter the performance of the application ?

Currently have 16 (2x8GB) Corsair LPX 3000 CL15. Will double it up when I get a decent deal to go with my Ryzen 1700 @ 3.6Ghz though still need to play more with that now my Noctua D15 is on it.
Worth mentioning all 16 threads were maxing out but showed drops when memory saturated.
Oneday773 h, 25 m ago

Currently have 16 (2x8GB) Corsair LPX 3000 CL15. Will double it up when I …Currently have 16 (2x8GB) Corsair LPX 3000 CL15. Will double it up when I get a decent deal to go with my Ryzen 1700 @ 3.6Ghz though still need to play more with that now my Noctua D15 is on it. Worth mentioning all 16 threads were maxing out but showed drops when memory saturated.

OC'ing should give you a nice boost. Costs are the main problem though, 32GB is steep at a decent speed unfortunately at the moment. Probably will buy an Nvme at some point when the samsung 960 500GB comes down a bit.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions