Groups

Cheapest way to get an Orange phone unlocked?

Orange branded Sony Ericsson W580i.

7 Comments

What's the make and model of the phone?

Or do you mean the "orange phone", that phone which is exclusive to Orange?

Original Poster

oldmanhouse;5143632

What's the make and model of the phone?Or do you mean the "orange phone", … What's the make and model of the phone?Or do you mean the "orange phone", that phone which is exclusive to Orange?

Orange branded Sony Ericsson W580i.

gsm-support.co.uk/?p=…ock £8 + £3.30 to unlock it there + cost of sending it to them unless you are near Brent, North London and see them yourself.

Local place should it for a tenner max.

Here's a tutorial on how to do it yourself (free!): ]http//fo…582

I wouldn't recommend it unless you're confident with these kind of things and you don't have someone who is to give you a hand. As an easier alternative, as schizoboy mentioned, local places like independent phone shops (not Orange, Carphone Warehouse, Phones4U, etc) or the local market should be able to do it for around a tenner - I wouldn't pay anymore than that though. Local phone shop here wanted £25 to do my K800i so I did it myself!

Also, might be worth ringing Orange to see if they'll unlock it for you. They probably have restrictions in place though like you must have been using the phone on Orange for x months and must have topped up by £x.xx ... Worth a shot, they might just do it for free!

Original Poster

oldmanhouse;5143779

Here's a tutorial on how to do it yourself (free!): … Here's a tutorial on how to do it yourself (free!): http://forums.se-nse.net/index.php?showtopic=37582I wouldn't recommend it unless you're confident with these kind of things and you don't have someone who is to give you a hand. As an easier alternative, as schizoboy mentioned, local places like independent phone shops (not Orange, Carphone Warehouse, Phones4U, etc) or the local market should be able to do it for around a tenner - I wouldn't pay anymore than that though. Local phone shop here wanted £25 to do my K800i so I did it myself!

Can I do any damage to the phone if I try myself?

I'm a cheapskate. :-D

IWannaBeAdored;5143855

Can I do any damage to the phone if I try myself?I'm a cheapskate. :-D

Yep you can brick it.

I think before you start the process you make a backup of crucial data on the phone (called the "GDFS"). If you mess up the process then the GDFS on the phone is corrupted and the phone won't start ("bricked"). Luckily you can restore the original GDFS from the backup which will "unbrick" the phone.

Just make sure you have a clear understanding of what you are doing before you start unlocking the phone and make sure you create that backup of the GDFS!!

edit: Found another guide to read over: ]http//ww…es/

Akshayy and SE-NSE are both good resources for unlocking Sony Ericsson phones - have a read around them before getting into anything.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764458
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …1422
      3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846250
      4. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48310863

See more discussions