Cheapest way to get data in Spain

Found 12th Feb
We are going to Spain on holiday for 3 weeks in April and the villa that we have rented does not have internet access so we will have to provide our own.

My EE sim has 4GB of data allowance and my husband's Virgin mobile sim has 2GB of data allowance so between the two of us we will have 6GB of data to use but I don't think this is going to be enough for us for the 3 weeks that we are there as I would like to be able to browse a few hours a day and stream for about an hour or two of movies each night that we are there.

How much data will we need to enable us to do this?

What is the cheapest / best way to get data for the 3 weeks that we are there?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
" as I would like to be able to browse a few hours a day" - Seriously?

Switch off and enjoy the holiday
29 Comments
If your phones are unlocked/sim free ask for a sim in Spain and ask how much they charge for data.
AW00798 m ago

If your phones are unlocked/sim free ask for a sim in Spain and ask how …If your phones are unlocked/sim free ask for a sim in Spain and ask how much they charge for data.

Both our phones are unlocked. Do we need to be residents to buy data sim in spain
" as I would like to be able to browse a few hours a day" - Seriously?

Switch off and enjoy the holiday
mutley123 m ago

Both our phones are unlocked. Do we need to be residents to buy data sim …Both our phones are unlocked. Do we need to be residents to buy data sim in spain

I wouldn't of thought so.Just go in to a mobile phone shop,ask for a prepay sim,then ask about their data rates.
mutley135 m ago

Both our phones are unlocked. Do we need to be residents to buy data sim …Both our phones are unlocked. Do we need to be residents to buy data sim in spain

I think you just need to be residents of planet earth. No need to faff around buying Spanish sims.

Seriously! DATA USAGE AND ADD-ONS FOR 4GEE WIFI. Just call 150 and ask them to bolt on extra data. They don't need to know you're using the data in Spain. The only issue will be if you are away when you monthly billing cycle changes as I would think the data purchased will expire then.

Do the same for Virgin phone if you must

Arte you really looking to stream movies on a phone whilst on holiday?
Edited by: "OllieSt" 12th Feb
I'm on o2 and get to use my data anywhere in europe
murtgurge57 m ago

I'm on o2 and get to use my data anywhere in europe

all mobile providers now have to allow their data to be used in the EU under new EU legislation as if you are still in the UK as far as I understand.

we don't have enough data to use as we would like as we have internet access at home and would like to have the facility to use the internet regularly when we are on holiday.
Just get a another sim only sim of your choice on a rolling contract for what ever amount of data u want nearer the time.
OllieSt2 h, 1 m ago

I think you just need to be residents of planet earth. No need to faff …I think you just need to be residents of planet earth. No need to faff around buying Spanish sims. Seriously! DATA USAGE AND ADD-ONS FOR 4GEE WIFI. Just call 150 and ask them to bolt on extra data. They don't need to know you're using the data in Spain. The only issue will be if you are away when you monthly billing cycle changes as I would think the data purchased will expire then.Do the same for Virgin phone if you mustArte you really looking to stream movies on a phone whilst on holiday?

this is probably the best bet as you can now use data on your plan in the EU. i will need to check our billing cycle as it may mean we have to pay for two months of extra data in order to get the 3 weeks if that period spans over the monthly billing cycle. may still work out cheaper than buying a spanish PAYG sim when we are there.

i want to stream movies on my ipad by tethering but i doubt that the EE data signal will be strong enough to stream movies, so i may have to settle for just browsing.
tregs2 h, 15 m ago

" as I would like to be able to browse a few hours a day" - …" as I would like to be able to browse a few hours a day" - Seriously?Switch off and enjoy the holiday

unfortunately i can not switch off and just enjoy my holiday. it's a luxury i do not have.

i have to be on call / on-line 24/7 for various reasons so i need access to the internet. we also do a lot of travelling around when we are abroad so we need access to the internet to look for places to visit and road information etc. it is not easy to plan ahead and get this done in the UK as it often depends on what we bump into when we are abroad.

also with dog in tow, we have to look for information about where the dog is allowed to go etc.
mutley112 m ago

unfortunately i can not switch off and just enjoy my holiday. it's a …unfortunately i can not switch off and just enjoy my holiday. it's a luxury i do not have.i have to be on call / on-line 24/7 for various reasons so i need access to the internet. we also do a lot of travelling around when we are abroad so we need access to the internet to look for places to visit and road information etc. it is not easy to plan ahead and get this done in the UK as it often depends on what we bump into when we are abroad.also with dog in tow, we have to look for information about where the dog is allowed to go etc.

Then don't go on holiday if you can't enjoy it - what is the point if you don't enjoy it?
Download the films before you go.
WHy not get a villa which includes wifi as standard
benjammin3161 h, 38 m ago

WHy not get a villa which includes wifi as standard

because we have a dog with us, finding a villa that accepts a dog is hard enough without adding any more criteria to the requirement.

it can work out cheaper to pay for data than to find a villa that has wifi, accepts a dog, is in the right location, has car parking facility, available at the time that we want to be there, that has good reviews, that has an owner that doesn't sound dodgy....

we had to drop off the wifi requirement as the dog acceptance and car parking facility is something that we can not get ourselves separate from the villa.

we spent several hours just to find this one as it is so difficult to find a suitable place to stay if you have a pet with you.
chocci1 h, 47 m ago

Download the films before you go.

we are going to do this as well as we have sky go. i was hoping to stream tv series and movies as well but i can do without this if data is expensive or unreliable.

browsing the net is more important than the movies, which is entertainment so it would be nice to have but not a must.
mutley142 m ago

we are going to do this as well as we have sky go. i was hoping to stream …we are going to do this as well as we have sky go. i was hoping to stream tv series and movies as well but i can do without this if data is expensive or unreliable.browsing the net is more important than the movies, which is entertainment so it would be nice to have but not a must.

Browsing for an hour uses little data. 500mb normally lasts us fine for a week so 6gb is plenty. A 45 minute tv show at mobile resolution only uses about 180mb
Log onto next doors wifi
Unlimited data from three sim only via uswitch
chocci14 h, 47 m ago

Browsing for an hour uses little data. 500mb normally lasts us fine for a …Browsing for an hour uses little data. 500mb normally lasts us fine for a week so 6gb is plenty. A 45 minute tv show at mobile resolution only uses about 180mb

i have concluded from the limited response to my question on Ask that i should forget about streaming entertainment but it would be good to be able to do so if it only uses 180mb for 45 minute. That sounds extraordinarily low.

we were in snowdonia last summer and we used up about 2GB between the 2 of us for about 2 hours of browsing a day for 5 days, but i think that was because i made the mistake of sending two heavy photos on whatsapp.
ding14 h, 36 m ago

Log onto next doors wifi

i am going to look but they may be password protected. most wifi are now password protected

the last time we were in spain, our neighbour happened to be an expat and took pity on us and gave us their wifi password. we gave them a bottle of wine to thank them.
jpoolfitz4 h, 46 m ago

three data signal is iffy in the UK. do you know if it is ok in southern spain?
mutley120 h, 46 m ago

unfortunately i can not switch off and just enjoy my holiday. it's a …unfortunately i can not switch off and just enjoy my holiday. it's a luxury i do not have.i have to be on call / on-line 24/7 for various reasons so i need access to the internet. we also do a lot of travelling around when we are abroad so we need access to the internet to look for places to visit and road information etc. it is not easy to plan ahead and get this done in the UK as it often depends on what we bump into when we are abroad.also with dog in tow, we have to look for information about where the dog is allowed to go etc.

You originally said you want to browse and stream though, there was no mention of "having to be on call online 24/7".

Perhaps this is where the unhelpful comments have come from.
dataload2 h, 13 m ago

You originally said you want to browse and stream though, there was no …You originally said you want to browse and stream though, there was no mention of "having to be on call online 24/7".Perhaps this is where the unhelpful comments have come from.

that was in reply to why i need internet access when i am on holiday as i need to be contactable and i also need to do things on the net when i am on holiday. i still have to carry on as normal even when i am abroad as i have too many things going on and people relying on me so i can not just be cut off and not worry about anything else except my holiday.

i need internet access to browse as a minimum for a few hours a day and allow me to be contactable by phone or over the net if someone needs to speak to me or contact me.

anyway, it sounds like buying extra data from EE is going to be the best way to achieve the daily browsing that i need as i can use the data abroad as if i am still in the UK.
jpoolfitz22 h, 37 m ago

Three's unlimited data is limited to 9GB per period when roaming.
mutley118 h, 7 m ago

three data signal is iffy in the UK. do you know if it is ok in southern …three data signal is iffy in the UK. do you know if it is ok in southern spain?

No idea who Three nor EE partner with in Spain. No idea of the areas in southern Spain where the partners may change; presumably you've already checked the EE partners' service.
If staying in touch is imperitive, you will need to have at least two mobile networks available to you, where the second will be the fallback.
9GB on-handset data suitable to be used when roaming in EU is £15 via a Three PAYG sim and applying an AllinOne15 add-on, includes 3k mins & 3k txts to UK, no local allowance. Lasts max 30days or until allowances exhausted.
AndyRoyd6 h, 32 m ago

No idea who Three nor EE partner with in Spain. No idea of the areas in …No idea who Three nor EE partner with in Spain. No idea of the areas in southern Spain where the partners may change; presumably you've already checked the EE partners' service.If staying in touch is imperitive, you will need to have at least two mobile networks available to you, where the second will be the fallback.9GB on-handset data suitable to be used when roaming in EU is £15 via a Three PAYG sim and applying an AllinOne15 add-on, includes 3k mins & 3k txts to UK, no local allowance. Lasts max 30days or until allowances exhausted.

The last time i was in portugal i used my EE payg sim to call the UK and EE had signal in portugal, unless i have remembered incorrectly.

I will call EE and find out how this will work for me in spain. I can only assume that they have signal in spain as well.
mutley112th Feb

all mobile providers now have to allow their data to be used in the EU …all mobile providers now have to allow their data to be used in the EU under new EU legislation as if you are still in the UK as far as I understand.

Only if the subject network has a roaming service. Some MVNOs don't offer roaming.
£101.46 for 21 days - portable WIFI for your 3 devices (4gb daily allowance) is another option and use your existing SIM cards for calls and texts but take note of this:

33264807-zx146.jpg

It depends where you location is. I used to travel to Spain regularly going back 10 years and had a Spanish SIM card. Once I moved out of the built up areas data was always quite flakey. I can only imagine things have improved but their coverage out in the sticks will more than likely be mediocre
Edited by: "OllieSt" 15th Feb
mutley113th Feb

i have too many things going on and people relying on me

God help them.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions