Cheapest way to return to Gearbest/China

Found 19th May 2016
I have bought the Onda deal posted here the other day and the item arrived faulty, it had two red columns of pixels and now won't turn on.

So I asked gearbest who offered me to return it to them in China (at my cost) and for me to pay extra for the shipping of a new item back to me...

I point blank refused and went to file a PayPal claim which was naturally resolved in my favour.

But PayPal is also asking me to return the item to China, tracked...

Regardless of me ordering from EU warehouse btw.

I am wondering if anyone knows what would be the cheapest way to do this? (So ship a package, tracked to China)

I tried arguing with gearbest again based on winning the claim but they simply wanted to scam me into closing the claim.

Also as warning to others that when ordering from Gearbest you are NOT protected from getting a faulty on arrival item,...

And PayPal protection is absolute rubbish as any (even ebay) sellers who ships from UK can simply put a China or some random address and you need to send the item there, tracked, which causes most low value item to not be worth it for the postage.

Many thanks on any advice or ideas in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
29 Comments
Try parcel2go.com/ probably between £20-£30.
'Regardless of me ordering from EU warehouse btw.' <-- That makes no difference.

Please don't take this personally but I am constantly surprised at the amount of people who are 'amazed' at this type of scenario.

Buying outside of the EU (which you are as the company / website is not based in the EU despite having a warehouse here) you should always take into consideration the shipping costs of a potential return.

These 'Chinese' phones, tablets, laptops etc. will always come with an element of risk in regards to QC etc. so you need to factor in the 'saving' based on that.

These companies are businesses operating very differently to ones in the UK. If you want something for cheap then something, somewhere has to give in this case it is quality control. If you don't want the gamble / risk buy known brand from the likes of Amazon.

However, in regards to your original question see above.

Edited by: "ipswich78" 19th May 2016
Good luck, pain in the nelly

buy from amazon next time
Same experience here - PayPal wants me to return the item tracked which is further expense I am not prepared to incur. I bought a PC stick which had a loose power socket and I had to pay US$30 for them to send me a replacement. Replacement came but Windows was not activated and when challenged they sent me a link to some dodgy activation software. Will take it as a life lesson and will not be buying from them again.
Did you pay for their Gearbest insurance? Does it cover above scenario?
I called PayPal with my gearbest claim, they refunded me on the phone and said keep the item
I understand your frustration but if they are going to reimburse you for shipping, isn't that fair? You could always ask for some compensation on top due to the inconvenience.
Edited by: "zan87" 19th May 2016
Original Poster
ipswich78

'Regardless of me ordering from EU warehouse btw.'

I understood the risks, to some extent, but I was not aware of the extent, hence this post (apart from asking for advice). To possibly show others what the risks are. I was also under impression I was covered by PayPal if they start to play funny, for example ask for return shipping to China...

Also it seemed logical that you would return an item to the place you bought it from/it was sent from, ie their EU warehouse.

Also PayPal's policy makes them next to useless in these situations...

Thx for your opinion though...
Nexusfifth

I understood the risks, to some extent, but I was not aware of the … I understood the risks, to some extent, but I was not aware of the extent, hence this post (apart from asking for advice). To possibly show others what the risks are. I was also under impression I was covered by PayPal if they start to play funny, for example ask for return shipping to China...Also it seemed logical that you would return an item to the place you bought it from/it was sent from, ie their EU warehouse. Also PayPal's policy makes them next to useless in these situations...Thx for your opinion though...

What have PayPal actually done wrong in your 'opinion'?
Original Poster
missleading

Royal Mail International Signed for a 1kg small parcel is about £20.Think … Royal Mail International Signed for a 1kg small parcel is about £20.Think of it this way; if you had been charged import VAT and handling it wuld have cost you that anyhow. And if Gearbest have said they will pay back shipping then keep reminding them until they do.

Problem is that that is not tracked outside of UK, so PayPal is not happy...
Royal mail cheapest was about 40£ (parcelforce) does anyone possibly have one of those parcelforce referral codes?

Original Poster
ipswich78

What have PayPal actually done wrong in your 'opinion'?

Asking for a return to the address which is different than the one sent from. If the seller doesn't provide a return address to PayPal matching the one where it was sent from I should not be required to return the item.

This allows sellers to give false overseas addresses to PayPal, basically stopping any claim for item of valu eless than 30-40£ which is the shipping cost.

Because same thing is happening with ebay it seems, you order an item from UK, it turns out faulty and you are asked to return to sellers China address which costs you far more than the items value...
Original Poster
zan87

I understand your frustration but if they are going to reimburse you for … I understand your frustration but if they are going to reimburse you for shipping, isn't that fair? You could always ask for some compensation on top due to the inconvenience.

They are not going to reimburse me any return shipping costs. It would be fair if it was like for like, If they paid shipping to me from EU warehouse then I should pay shipping to EU warehouse, not to China.
Original Poster
davening

Did you pay for their Gearbest insurance? Does it cover above scenario?

I did for the laugh of it, utter waste of money, it covers basically nothing. Only if the item doesn't arrive, like I was going to just accept it didn't arrive regardless of whether I paid for insurance...
Original Poster
tejjy

I called PayPal with my gearbest claim, they refunded me on the phone and … I called PayPal with my gearbest claim, they refunded me on the phone and said keep the item

I am very interested in what you said to them?
Nexusfifth

Asking for a return to the address which is different than the one sent … Asking for a return to the address which is different than the one sent from. If the seller doesn't provide a return address to PayPal matching the one where it was sent from I should not be required to return the item.This allows sellers to give false overseas addresses to PayPal, basically stopping any claim for item of valu eless than 30-40£ which is the shipping cost.Because same thing is happening with ebay it seems, you order an item from UK, it turns out faulty and you are asked to return to sellers China address which costs you far more than the items value...

"Asking for a return to the address which is different than the one sent from. If the seller doesn't provide a return address to PayPal matching the one where it was sent from I should not be required to return the item."

Genuinely asking this and not trying to wind you up... Could you link to that for me please?
Edited by: "ipswich78" 19th May 2016
Original Poster
ipswich78

Genuinely asking this and not trying to wind you up... Could you link to … Genuinely asking this and not trying to wind you up... Could you link to that for me please?

Just the first I found now,
https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Disputes-and-claims-Archive/Why-to-I-have-to-pay-return-shipping-on-an-Item-I-recieved-that/td-p/353214

I have found several similar posts while I was searching if there is anything sensible I could do before making this post.
Nexusfifth

Just the first I found … Just the first I found now,https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Disputes-and-claims-Archive/Why-to-I-have-to-pay-return-shipping-on-an-Item-I-recieved-that/td-p/353214I have found several similar posts while I was searching if there is anything sensible I could do before making this post.

I meant a link to PayPals Terms and Conditions where it states what you say above i.e. item should be returned to the same place.

Just to add, my initial piece above wasn't personally aimed at you. It's good that you share your experiences on here, but if you do a search I reckon there is one similar 'question' every week with this scenario.
Original Poster
ipswich78

I meant a link to PayPals Terms and Conditions where it states what you … I meant a link to PayPals Terms and Conditions where it states what you say above i.e. item should be returned to the same place.Just to add, my initial piece above wasn't personally aimed at you. It's good that you share your experiences on here, but if you do a search I reckon there is one similar 'question' every week with this scenario.

Of course it is not in their t&c's as they are not doing it, I am simply saying it should be as this way their claims are useless unless your item costs a lot and it allows sellers to exploit this.

I actually did a search, but couldn't find anyone asking/giving advice about shipping cost and complaining about paypal's policy on returning the item to China.

It is easy to say that all of us who order from China are "similar"...

Details very much matter, for example if my item failed after a month or two, that would be a very different story than this.

This way they can basically sell you a tablet for say 20£, ship you a brick and then you won't return it as it costs you 30£ to ship the thing...
PayPal were doing free worldwide returns recently. I take it has finished?
Firstly the order was for 8 items I only received one which was faulty, gearbest said to get it fixed and they will pay for it. Nobody fixes PS4 controllers, so they said send it back they would fix it and send it back to me, then it became pay 40% of the value and we will send you another one and if that turns out faulty then use parts from each to make one working one. I told paypal the story and said "I have already paid for what was advertised, which is a working product, which I did not receive and now I am being told that I have to pay more to get... maybe get a working item, just want my money back so that I can buy something from somewhere else"... put on hold for 2 minutes and got told I have a refund and keep the item, throw it away, do whatever you want with it.
Original Poster

PayPal were doing free worldwide returns recently. I take it has finished?

Oh thanks a lot, it is actually not expired, valid till end of August.

It is limited to 15£ so at least I will get a bit back...

Oh thanks a lot, it is actually not expired, valid till end of August. It … Oh thanks a lot, it is actually not expired, valid till end of August. It is limited to 15£ so at least I will get a bit back...

That was lucky.
What till they send you a replacement and you get hit for customs, try explaining to them that its a warranty replacement without a invoice for its inward custom charges,
We should have a 'HUKD Gearbest bulk returns' group. You send your return to the group organiser with say £5 and they send one big box back to China once a month?
Original Poster

What till they send you a replacement and you get hit for customs, try … What till they send you a replacement and you get hit for customs, try explaining to them that its a warranty replacement without a invoice for its inward custom charges,

I am not getting a replacement, I am getting a refund. It will get caught in customs going there and they will never receive the return, but that is not my problem.

I really tried everything a sensible person could and there is an obvious better option for all parties involved, but they don't want to listen...
Basic rules of ordering anything from China (or china based company) is only buy it if the saving is more then enough that you can buy it again.
Also pretty much any warranty isn't worth the paper it's printed on, shipping the item back is rarely worth it and after sales is hit and miss at best.
Plus if it can be faked it will.

Short of it is shipping it back ain't cheap and it's easier to just cut your losses and sell it for spares in the UK.

They are not going to reimburse me any return shipping costs. It would be … They are not going to reimburse me any return shipping costs. It would be fair if it was like for like, If they paid shipping to me from EU warehouse then I should pay shipping to EU warehouse, not to China.

Sorry, must have misread. Hope you get a good outcome.
I recently had to return a 4G phone back to China because they made the mistake of sending me a 4G phone version that only gets 4G in mainland China and not in the UK, i used parcelflight.co.uk/ind…spx which uses DHL at a cost of £23.99.
I spoke to a very knowledgeable guy from Paypal (PM me and i will give you his name and ask to speak to him specifically) and he told me that the parcel only needs to get to China for Paypal to issue a full refund (I spoke to someone else and she told me that once the seller receives the phone back they could issue a refund which was rubbish).
http://i67.tinypic.com/1z5jg4o.jpg

You need to fill out 3 x custom forms, put 2 in a blank envelope and the other you hand to the DHL driver and wait 2 days to claim your refund. I was quite lucky as well Paypal offer of refund of return shipping costs hotukdeals.com/dea…613 i actually made my purchase 5 days before this offer started but Paypal refunded my £23.99 shipping cost back to China (you got to speak to the right person)
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 20th May 2016
You asked me if my parcel got stuck in custom or did it get delivered to the seller?

http://i66.tinypic.com/eg34vr.jpg

It doesn't really matter if it gets to the seller so long as you can track the parcel to China.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants