Cheapest way to watch films

Posted 1st Jan
I currently have Sky Cinema but their film availability/quality varies from month to month. I’ve bought digital copies from Amazon but expensive. Am I better off buying a DVD player and if so where is the best place to buy DVDs from?

Legally.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
39561363-0Q30C.jpg
666FU01/01/2020 17:10

just because it is not illegal does not make it right!

All hail our new King 666FU

He/she/they will determine what we should and should not do!
56 Comments
May want to add the word "legitimately" to the thread title, unless you don't.
Add to / replace your current arrangement with a Netflix share at around £2.50/month?
Instead of sticking with one streaming service you can always just switch to a different one each month. Do a month on Netflix, the next month on Prime, the next on Now TV, the next on Disney+ (when it eventually gets here in a few months) etc.

Have a look on justwatch.com/ and you can browse each provider to see which have movies you'd want to watch.

Personally i'd skip buying a DVD player + DVD's unless your TV is small and you have no plans on upgrading to a bigger one any times soon. DVD's don't look great on todays 55"+ sets.
I’ve got a Turkish Netflix subscription - 4 users at one time with UHD and it works out around £6 a month
You can get a 1 Month Now TV movie pass for £2.75 on Amazon, that works out at 68p a week which is pretty cheap.
Haircut_10001/01/2020 15:45

You can get a 1 Month Now TV movie pass for £2.75 on Amazon, that works …You can get a 1 Month Now TV movie pass for £2.75 on Amazon, that works out at 68p a week which is pretty cheap.

He said he is currently on sky cinema which is basically what you mentioned
Arto01/01/2020 15:56

He said he is currently on sky cinema which is basically what you mentioned

But it's a lot more expensive though for a Sky Cinema subscription as opposed to just streaming via Now TV and the OP was asking for the cheapest way to watch movies.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 1st Jan
If you do want to buy DVDs I'd say best place is CEX, Musicmagpie is also a possibility
What type of films are you after? Latest releases or ?
I just bought a load of cheap 2nd hand 3d blu rays from MusicMagpie, CeX, eBay, Poundland (the ones from here were actually new and sealed. Some with cardboard overlay). Loads of DVD deals on those sites/in Poundland.
I've bought blu-ray players from charity shops for a tenner or less- they will play DVDs as well of course. DVDs ought to be really cheap, though some places haven't caught on. My local charity shop sells three for a pound, but I once bought 70 of them at ten pence each from the local CEX.
If a few of your (older) intended films are on Netflix etc. then cheaper to pay a month’s subs. If not CEX have 50p+ DVDs (Poundland / ebay / Charity shops too) Alternatively you can stream for 90p+ (sometimes older full films on YouTube)
Don't listen to the idiots suggesting Netflix shares and foreign ways of watching films! Whilst they might not technically be illegal thay are still wrong.

Adults are legally allowed to have sex with 12 year olds in some countries, just because it is not illegal does not make it right!
Legally i'd think cheapest way is nowtv. I got a new account, traded in £4 of clubcard coupons for a £12 voucher. Logged into now tv and i got a 7day free trial, cancelled the reoccurring sub saying couldn't afford it and got offered 3 months for £2.40 a month.

So £4 of clubcard vouchers has got me 3 months and 1 week of cinema and i'll still have a little credit left.

Musicmagpie is great for 2nd hand dvds. Cex not so much as they rip you off for postage unless you live near one.

Not legal you can get 12 months of iptv for £20 to £30 with VOD.
666FU01/01/2020 17:10

just because it is not illegal does not make it right!

All hail our new King 666FU

He/she/they will determine what we should and should not do!
sohailh198401/01/2020 15:29

I’ve got a Turkish Netflix subscription - 4 users at one time with UHD and …I’ve got a Turkish Netflix subscription - 4 users at one time with UHD and it works out around £6 a month

Why isn't Netflix the same cost in each country?

Do you have to use a VPN with a Turkish IP address to watch whilst in England?
Is the site you go to customised for Turkey? Is it in English? Does it have the same content as UK Netflix?
Common.Sense01/01/2020 17:41

Why isn't Netflix the same cost in each country?Do you have to use a VPN …Why isn't Netflix the same cost in each country?Do you have to use a VPN with a Turkish IP address to watch whilst in England?Is the site you go to customised for Turkey? Is it in English? Does it have the same content as UK Netflix?

You just sign up and pay while using the VPN, after that you can use without the VPN and use it as you normally would
Arto01/01/2020 17:44

You just sign up and pay while using the VPN, after that you can use …You just sign up and pay while using the VPN, after that you can use without the VPN and use it as you normally would

But is the content they same as UK content?
39561363-0Q30C.jpg
Common.Sense01/01/2020 17:41

Why isn't Netflix the same cost in each country?Do you have to use a VPN …Why isn't Netflix the same cost in each country?Do you have to use a VPN with a Turkish IP address to watch whilst in England?Is the site you go to customised for Turkey? Is it in English? Does it have the same content as UK Netflix?

"Why isn't Netflix the same cost in each country?"

Do you think each country in the world has the same wage, disposable income and tax structure.

Such a bizzare question.
ibblackberry101/01/2020 22:25

"Why isn't Netflix the same cost in each country?"Do you think each …"Why isn't Netflix the same cost in each country?"Do you think each country in the world has the same wage, disposable income and tax structure. Such a bizzare question.

But the service is the same. So, yes the price should be the same in all countries.
If they can afford a lower price in Turkey, why not in UK (bar VAT)?

A BMW is not half the price in Turkey compared to UK. Ecommerce has no boundaries. One global price + tax.
Common.Sense01/01/2020 22:28

But the service is the same. So, yes the price should be the same in all …But the service is the same. So, yes the price should be the same in all countries.If they can afford a lower price in Turkey, why not in UK (bar VAT)?A BMW is not half the price in Turkey compared to UK. Ecommerce has no boundaries. One global price + tax.

Hardware costs are fixed. Software costs can be anything.
MadeDixonsCry01/01/2020 22:38

Hardware costs are fixed. Software costs can be anything.

Do Netfix use different servers for different countries?
If not, I would expect the pre-tax costs to be the same in all countries.
Edited by: "Common.Sense" 1st Jan
Common.Sense01/01/2020 22:41

Do Netfix use different servers for different countries?If not, I would …Do Netfix use different servers for different countries?If not, I would expect the pre-tax costs to be the same in all countries.

Agreed, but that doesn't stop them expecting more profit out of UK customers
"
But the service is the same. So, yes the price should be the same in all countries."

That's not how business works, the UK is subjectively wealthier per capita than turkey, why would Netflix price their product at the affordability of its poorest member. Makes no business sense.

If the UK can afford and will willingly pay more than 'poorer country X' then why would they even consider charging less.
"But the service is the same. So, yes the price should be the same in all countries."

Could you also tell absolutely everyone in London to lower their prices as it's cheaper in Dundee.
Depends on what your taste in movies is, but you tube has literally 1000's of free movies. I am currently on a film noir kick and have seen so many great movies for nothing at all. If you want the big new stuff now tv cd keys are on here all the time and really good retention deals when you cancel the pass.
ibblackberry101/01/2020 23:05

"But the service is the same. So, yes the price should be the same in all …"But the service is the same. So, yes the price should be the same in all countries."That's not how business works, the UK is subjectively wealthier per capita than turkey, why would Netflix price their product at the affordability of its poorest member. Makes no business sense.If the UK can afford and will willingly pay more than 'poorer country X' then why would they even consider charging less.

I’m not sure the service is the same. For example in the uk we get about 50% less titles on Netflix then the USA. Im pretty sure turkey get less then we do. I remember checking this out awhile back when someone suggested getting Netflix via another country. Maybe it’s changed now
uglybob88801/01/2020 23:22

I’m not sure the service is the same. For example in the uk we get about 5 …I’m not sure the service is the same. For example in the uk we get about 50% less titles on Netflix then the USA. Im pretty sure turkey get less then we do. I remember checking this out awhile back when someone suggested getting Netflix via another country. Maybe it’s changed now

Each country has a different selection of movies and tv shows to choose from and a different amount, this is why the prices are different
Arto01/01/2020 23:28

Each country has a different selection of movies and tv shows to choose …Each country has a different selection of movies and tv shows to choose from and a different amount, this is why the prices are different

That was my point. So perhaps if you sign up with a Turkish subscription you don’t get all the content you would with a uk subscription.
uglybob88801/01/2020 23:31

That was my point. So perhaps if you sign up with a Turkish subscription …That was my point. So perhaps if you sign up with a Turkish subscription you don’t get all the content you would with a uk subscription.

You sign up and pay via a Turkish VPN, afterwards you turn the VPN off and restart Netflix and you then have the UK library
Arto01/01/2020 23:32

You sign up and pay via a Turkish VPN, afterwards you turn the VPN off and …You sign up and pay via a Turkish VPN, afterwards you turn the VPN off and restart Netflix and you then have the UK library

If that’s what happens then that’s great.
Same way it always has been be an actor/extra in one.
uglybob88801/01/2020 23:38

If that’s what happens then that’s great.

It is what happens. You seem skeptical, Google it and you'll get confirmation if required.
Arto01/01/2020 23:32

You sign up and pay via a Turkish VPN, afterwards you turn the VPN off and …You sign up and pay via a Turkish VPN, afterwards you turn the VPN off and restart Netflix and you then have the UK library

ibblackberry101/01/2020 23:47

It is what happens. You seem skeptical, Google it and you'll get …It is what happens. You seem skeptical, Google it and you'll get confirmation if required.

Comrades, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.
MadeDixonsCry02/01/2020 00:27

Comrades, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

You can if you put a tube down it’s throat
ibblackberry101/01/2020 23:47

It is what happens. You seem skeptical, Google it and you'll get …It is what happens. You seem skeptical, Google it and you'll get confirmation if required.

I’m not skeptical. I have no reason to be as I am not looking to take out a Netflix subscription. My point was a possible reason as to why Netflix might charge different prices in different country’s
uglybob88802/01/2020 05:21

I’m not skeptical. I have no reason to be as I am not looking to take out a …I’m not skeptical. I have no reason to be as I am not looking to take out a Netflix subscription. My point was a possible reason as to why Netflix might charge different prices in different country’s

Ah I thought you were skeptical as you said "if that's what happens....."

As in, you were questioning the answer provided.
ibblackberry102/01/2020 07:43

Ah I thought you were skeptical as you said "if that's what …Ah I thought you were skeptical as you said "if that's what happens....."As in, you were questioning the answer provided.

Nope. I said ‘if that’s what happens’ because I’ve never tried it so I don’t know. I don’t doubt what you’re saying.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions