Cheapest/Best butter for baking

Posted 10th Feb
I like to bake at the weekend but my tightness will find myself often go for shop bought stuff due to the costs coming to such a similar price mainly because of butter at £1.50 for 250g,

Intrested in finding the cheapest/best butter there is, I'm sure the worst better won't make much diffrence to taste in a cake but also want to find a balance by not getting the worse for health?

any reccomendations?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
Asda’s own for £1.47 for a 1kg tub. Use it all the time and it’s great
Arto10/02/2020 10:32

“Best for baking cakes” it’s called
Arto10/02/2020 10:32

so looking at clover for £2 kg, I don't mind the extra to get 20% buttermilk into the mix,

Is Clover going to be better for health over an all oil spread?

Obvcourse I know eating cakes is not good for your health but for a small increase getting better ingredients is okay (would have to buy it when on offeR)
Gumbon10/02/2020 10:51

so looking at clover for £2 kg, I don't mind the extra to get 20% …so looking at clover for £2 kg, I don't mind the extra to get 20% buttermilk into the mix,Is Clover going to be better for health over an all oil spread? Obvcourse I know eating cakes is not good for your health but for a small increase getting better ingredients is okay (would have to buy it when on offeR)

I’ve never used it personally I just use that ASDA one. Even works great for things like pastry etc
Have you tried stork? Cheap, great for baking and doesn't taste bad.
Mum in her 70s has used stork all her life. Grandad was a baker and used it too.
Look at ingredients and avoid the ones with fish oil. Asda used to have that while Tesco didn't. Worked for a lady that switched her small home baking business from Tesco to Asda cheap tubs and she got complaints. Was 10 years ago so might have changed now.
spyro12310/02/2020 11:56

Have you tried stork? Cheap, great for baking and doesn't taste bad.

I have yes and not had a problem with taste/turnout, is stork any better then the supermarket brands baking spreads?

I've come to realise that supermarket versions of products is just as good and even better then branded IE cereals are normally less suggary and nicer
wayners10/02/2020 12:51

Look at ingredients and avoid the ones with fish oil. Asda used to have …Look at ingredients and avoid the ones with fish oil. Asda used to have that while Tesco didn't. Worked for a lady that switched her small home baking business from Tesco to Asda cheap tubs and she got complaints. Was 10 years ago so might have changed now.

Although not known for quality food ICELANDS version states 9% buttermilk which is more then other own brands, (stork does not state)

circus
You will get away with margarines as stated above, but if it's butter you want then at moment farmfoods is the cheapest place I can find 99p for 200g butter then home bargains at£1 .30 for 250g, Aldi margarine is good aswell at £1.25 for 1kg.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants