EXPIRED

Cheapo Graphics Card for My Bro's Del Dimension 3100

Hi All

Sorry to bother you

My bro is new to pcs and a while back we bought him a Del Dimension 3100.

Now at the time he only wanted it to browse net, read emails and download music/vids.

However now he plays the odd game online (Albatross 18 and a Tennis Game).

I told him that the graphics card is probably on board cheapo one that is not really good.

Can anyone suggest a graphics card for say less than £60 (That doesnt require a new PSU and will fit in this machine ) that will allow him to play some decent games. It doesnt have to be future proof but i think graphics cards are cheap compared to the days when i spent £200 on my ATI 9800xt 256mb Card.

I am playing an online game in closed beta at the moment called fiesta and his pc with its current graphics card wont play it. We even d/l a BF 2 rip off called Warrock and the on board graphics card couldnt handle that.

Many Thanks in advance.

Regards

Me

7 Comments

ha war rock i quite used to enjoy that game!

does he need AGP or PCI-express although a quick google says the motherboard has neither slots and isnt upgradable!!!!:w00t:

check and then i can recommend a card for u

I have a brand new x1600 512mb graphics card, plays demanding games like Battlefield 2 great, also tried Broken Sword 4 etc no slowdown.

I was going to sell it for around £38 delivered considering its like £60 on Ebay.

Original Poster

muffin247

ha war rock i quite used to enjoy that game!does he need AGP or … ha war rock i quite used to enjoy that game!does he need AGP or PCI-express although a quick google says the motherboard has neither slots and isnt upgradable!!!!:w00t: check and then i can recommend a card for u

Ouch if thats the case. Thanks for the reply chaps. I will have a look.

Or just do a Google search may be easier,

If checking the PC use software like Belarc to scan it.

Here says it has a PCIe slot

pcworld.com/pro…tml

Original Poster

Well according to another website it says.

Upgrading simply isn't an option when it comes to the system's Intel-integrated graphics. Scoring a woeful 4.5 frames a second in our Doom 3 test, the graphics just can't cope with the latest games - and because the proprietary Dell motherboard has no AGP or PCI-Express 16x slot for a graphics card, you can't replace the graphics card with anything better. For a system designed for home entertainment, this is a serious

ADVERTISEMENT
flaw. In fact, limited upgrade potential is an issue throughout this system. Only one PCI-Express slot is free for internal add-in cards, while outside, only four USB 2 ports are provided to plug in external devices and there's no FireWire.

Does this mean we can put a graphics card in the pci express slot?

Original Poster

Cheers Ryouga.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Any know of offers on London eye and Maddam Tussauds please45
    2. Where has the Freebies section gone ?22
    3. Issue with a CV rewrite any help appreciated.910
    4. Wifi extender811

See more discussions