Cheapo tips for around the home. Aka "life hacks"

Found 15th Aug 2017
Come share your wisdom.

Example
Clean the cooker inside and out with toothpaste, the mild abrasive cleans off burnt spills good without harshly scratching the surface.

You can buy cheap supermarket basic tubes of toothpaste for as little as 25p, just put a dab on a kitchen sponge and start scrubbing, wipe it all off with a damp sponge after 2 to 3 times after so your cooker doesn't smell all minty fresh.

Also works well for cleaning the bath too. And probably a lot better for the environment then oven\bathroom cleaners.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Save money on toilet roll by only pooing at work.
tryn2help5 h, 22 m ago

Never thought of that, it did the job well enough, taking every trace of …Never thought of that, it did the job well enough, taking every trace of the paste off, and everything (bar the touchpad) seems to be working tip-top - much faster and quieter.Hopefully won't have any probs and soon find out how to turn on touchpad again (unless I've missed a connection somewhere).

Good luck with that. Acetone is flammable. I knew someone that cleaned their RAM with pledge once, whole computer burst into flames. I have to admit, I did laugh.

Just scrape it off next time.

Tried cleaning kitchen stuff with toothpaste once, never again. Nearly vomited from the combined smell of food and paste and it didn't get anything very clean.

Oven cleaner is a pound and lasts multiple uses. Why would you do that?

I'll have a think about money saving tips. I don't do anything too crazy.
Condoms are much cheaper than having kids.
43 Comments
Or dont wipe down so next time you cook in the oven, make sure its lamb as is the only thing that will pair well with the minty afterburn when the temp gets up!
Edited by: "groenleader" 15th Aug 2017
I use bicarbonate of soda. Lemon juice and vinegar are also great cleaners. If you need to clean streaky stainless steel, a bit of baby oil will get rid of the marks
Bulk buy food items when half price

Skimmed milk powder with coffee and a mini-whisk makes exactly the same cappuccinos as the nescafe packet ones but about a quarter of the cost
Recently couldn't find rubbing alcohol to clean the thermopaste off a cpu so used wife's nail polish remover - worked a treat.
Original Poster
tryn2help44 m ago

Recently couldn't find rubbing alcohol to clean the thermopaste off a cpu …Recently couldn't find rubbing alcohol to clean the thermopaste off a cpu so used wife's nail polish remover - worked a treat.

I wouldn't recommend that one, although both are solvents that'll do the job the nail varnish remover will leave residue and some have nail conditioners in so even more residue.
Thinking ahead, for example I know in christmas months I drink alot of lemondade with my disaronno, the bottle for 1£ are cheapest but lets be honest 1/4 goes in the bin, and 1/4 was drunk half flat and not at full taste, so basically 1£ for 1 litre, at the moment morrison 1.50£ for 6 cans 330ml, 1980ml, so realisticly cheaper then drinking half a bottle, and great taste every can, bulk buy that ahead of the christmas months will save money on it + the petrol on the continuous trips for 1 bottle of lemonade (and impulse buys when your there) ( SHWEPPES)

like someone else said think of things you often have to nip to the shop for buy in bulk will save you money when on offer and stop the impulse buys
Edited by: "whelan189" 15th Aug 2017
Error4401 h, 1 m ago

I wouldn't recommend that one, although both are solvents that'll do the …I wouldn't recommend that one, although both are solvents that'll do the job the nail varnish remover will leave residue and some have nail conditioners in so even more residue.

Never thought of that, it did the job well enough, taking every trace of the paste off, and everything (bar the touchpad) seems to be working tip-top - much faster and quieter.

Hopefully won't have any probs and soon find out how to turn on touchpad again (unless I've missed a connection somewhere).
whelan1895 h, 37 m ago

Thinking ahead, for example I know in christmas months I drink alot of …Thinking ahead, for example I know in christmas months I drink alot of lemondade with my disaronno, the bottle for 1£ are cheapest but lets be honest 1/4 goes in the bin, and 1/4 was drunk half flat and not at full taste, so basically 1£ for 1 litre, at the moment morrison 1.50£ for 6 cans 330ml, 1980ml, so realisticly cheaper then drinking half a bottle, and great taste every can, bulk buy that ahead of the christmas months will save money on it + the petrol on the continuous trips for 1 bottle of lemonade (and impulse buys when your there) ( SHWEPPES)like someone else said think of things you often have to nip to the shop for buy in bulk will save you money when on offer and stop the impulse buys

And disaronno is lovely
tryn2help5 h, 22 m ago

Never thought of that, it did the job well enough, taking every trace of …Never thought of that, it did the job well enough, taking every trace of the paste off, and everything (bar the touchpad) seems to be working tip-top - much faster and quieter.Hopefully won't have any probs and soon find out how to turn on touchpad again (unless I've missed a connection somewhere).

Good luck with that. Acetone is flammable. I knew someone that cleaned their RAM with pledge once, whole computer burst into flames. I have to admit, I did laugh.

Just scrape it off next time.

Tried cleaning kitchen stuff with toothpaste once, never again. Nearly vomited from the combined smell of food and paste and it didn't get anything very clean.

Oven cleaner is a pound and lasts multiple uses. Why would you do that?

I'll have a think about money saving tips. I don't do anything too crazy.
Original Poster
MSK.5 m ago

Good luck with that. Acetone is flammable. I knew someone that cleaned …Good luck with that. Acetone is flammable. I knew someone that cleaned their RAM with pledge once, whole computer burst into flames. I have to admit, I did laugh.Just scrape it off next time.Tried cleaning kitchen stuff with toothpaste once, never again. Nearly vomited from the combined smell of food and paste and it didn't get anything very clean.Oven cleaner is a pound and lasts multiple uses. Why would you do that?I'll have a think about money saving tips. I don't do anything too crazy.

So does the toothpaste, it only needs about the same amount on the sponge as a couple of days tooth cleaning worth and its not hazardous to health with a billion warnings on like a lot of cleaners, i think the stuff is great i clean the bathroom and kitchen wall tiles with it too.
Error44027 m ago

So does the toothpaste, it only needs about the same amount on the sponge …So does the toothpaste, it only needs about the same amount on the sponge as a couple of days tooth cleaning worth and its not hazardous to health with a billion warnings on like a lot of cleaners, i think the stuff is great i clean the bathroom and kitchen wall tiles with it too.

I don't know how you can do it without puking, it's such a disgusting combo. In my experience, it won't remove anything something like washing up liquid would remove either. It's just gross for the sake of being gross.
Original Poster
MSK.2 m ago

I don't know how you can do it without puking, it's such a disgusting …I don't know how you can do it without puking, it's such a disgusting combo. In my experience, it won't remove anything something like washing up liquid would remove either. It's just gross for the sake of being gross.

Washing up liquid doesn't clean as well, I've tried that on the cooker, baby wipes was what i used before as that works well, i think you got a problem with minty fresh thats all, doesn't bother me and other flavours are available
Error44018 m ago

Washing up liquid doesn't clean as well, I've tried that on the cooker, …Washing up liquid doesn't clean as well, I've tried that on the cooker, baby wipes was what i used before as that works well, i think you got a problem with minty fresh thats all, doesn't bother me and other flavours are available

I'm sorry I have to beg to differ, toothpaste doesn't clean well at all. It's not cheap and it's not effective. Washing up liquid would do a better job. A plethora of cleaning products caustic or not you can buy for the same money or less would do a better job, without being disgusting.
I suppose my best cleaning tip which costs no money at all came from Fungi. Rubbing your hand over the carpet with a rubber glove on, brings up so much hair and crap. Carpet looks almost new after that. But I've moved on a little and use shoes with rubber soles now. Because lazy.

Also works for bedding with pet hair on it etc.
Bio powder in hot water is great for cleaning oven shelves if left to soak for a couple of hours. Rinse and dry,all done.
MSK.1 h, 30 m ago

I suppose my best cleaning tip which costs no money at all came from …I suppose my best cleaning tip which costs no money at all came from Fungi. Rubbing your hand over the carpet with a rubber glove on, brings up so much hair and crap. Carpet looks almost new after that. But I've moved on a little and use shoes with rubber soles now. Because lazy.Also works for bedding with pet hair on it etc.

Using a rubber glove in small circles get pet hair out of car mats a treat too.
Edited by: "mrty" 15th Aug 2017
spoo8 h, 24 m ago

What happens when you have the shish kebabs
Error44015th Aug

So does the toothpaste, it only needs about the same amount on the sponge …So does the toothpaste, it only needs about the same amount on the sponge as a couple of days tooth cleaning worth and its not hazardous to health with a billion warnings on like a lot of cleaners, i think the stuff is great i clean the bathroom and kitchen wall tiles with it too.

I find used brillo pads excellent for cleaning teeth, wave those stubborn stains goodbye, yay.
Edited by: "CookinBat" 16th Aug 2017
Shove your empty washing liquid,fabric softener bottles though with the wash
zero waste and they are clean ready to put straight in the recycling
Make your own weed killer:
Ammonium Sulphamate + Water + fairy liquid.
Kills more weeds including mares tales and it works a lot faster than commercial products, works out about 1/3 of the price.
spoo20 h, 15 m ago

Or just rob the toilet roll from work
DKLS1 h, 47 m ago

Especially if you rinse them through after use.
fivegoldstars21 m ago

Especially if you rinse them through after use.

Best to use bread bags only once though.
Bath tub.
Mix Fairy with a lil bit of water and half-squeezed lemon juice and spread it around.Take the squeezed half and scrub.
"You can buy cheap supermarket basic tubes of toothpaste for as little as 25p"
don't know about the others but Tesco/Sainsbobs don't sell it anymore
Wongy1101 h, 22 m ago

"You can buy cheap supermarket basic tubes of toothpaste for as little as …"You can buy cheap supermarket basic tubes of toothpaste for as little as 25p"don't know about the others but Tesco/Sainsbobs don't sell it anymore

50p for 75ml seems to be the going rate for cheapo toothpaste these days. Whereas Astonish oven cleaner spray, the not scary don't need to open all your windows one, is £1 for 750ml *shrugs*

They don't do the cheapo toothbrushes anymore either, now they were good for cleaning things.
MSK.6 m ago

50p for 75ml seems to be the going rate for cheapo toothpaste these days. …50p for 75ml seems to be the going rate for cheapo toothpaste these days. Whereas Astonish oven cleaner spray, the not scary don't need to open all your windows one, is £1 for 750ml *shrugs*They don't do the cheapo toothbrushes anymore either, now they were good for cleaning things.

As mentioned on the thread baking powder works a treat just sometimes ends up in your food(also mentioned)
what I used to do is line the oven with foil

these days just have a halogen table top much easier to clean

31710693-AQtRy.jpg
Wongy1107 m ago

As mentioned on the thread baking powder works a treat just sometimes ends …As mentioned on the thread baking powder works a treat just sometimes ends up in your food(also mentioned)what I used to do is line the oven with foil these days just have a halogen table top much easier to clean[Image]

I use a steam cleaner on all the glass bits and a scraper. A liner on the bottom, which I can just wash up. The I only have the inside walls and top to clean. I think I get my oven dirtier than everyone else. Baking powder or bicarb doesn't really cut it.

I am finding soda crystals mixed with bio powder really good for getting black bits off the bottom of saucepans though. That's a relatively new discovery to me.

Also finding using kitchen towel (good stuff not cheap stuff) on the George Foreman grill plates keeps it much cleaner than a microfibre cloth does for some reason I can't fathom. Latest one still looks like new. It's worth it's money to use a couple of sheets each time I grill something.
MSK.8 m ago

I use a steam cleaner on all the glass bits and a scraper. A liner on the …I use a steam cleaner on all the glass bits and a scraper. A liner on the bottom, which I can just wash up. The I only have the inside walls and top to clean. I think I get my oven dirtier than everyone else. Baking powder or bicarb doesn't really cut it.I am finding soda crystals mixed with bio powder really good for getting black bits off the bottom of saucepans though. That's a relatively new discovery to me.Also finding using kitchen towel (good stuff not cheap stuff) on the George Foreman grill plates keeps it much cleaner than a microfibre cloth does for some reason I can't fathom. Latest one still looks like new. It's worth it's money to use a couple of sheets each time I grill something.

I think the thing with baking power is it is also preventive
don't use kitchen towel don't see the point ?

my new brevil grill is great just use it as a toaster mostly
Wongy1102 m ago

I think the thing with baking power is it is also preventive don't use …I think the thing with baking power is it is also preventive don't use kitchen towel don't see the point ?my new brevil grill is great just use it as a toaster mostly

Ahh, preventative. Perhaps that's the trick I am missing?

I don't normally see the point, I literally just buy it to clean the grill. Doesn't get used for anything else. Oh apart from mould on a window. I didn't want that going on a cloth in the new washing machine!

Sounds fancy, is it like a foreman grill or different?
MSK.8 m ago

Ahh, preventative. Perhaps that's the trick I am missing?I don't normally …Ahh, preventative. Perhaps that's the trick I am missing?I don't normally see the point, I literally just buy it to clean the grill. Doesn't get used for anything else. Oh apart from mould on a window. I didn't want that going on a cloth in the new washing machine!Sounds fancy, is it like a foreman grill or different?

Yeah you sort of smear it on(as the actress said to the bishop)
then when you come to clean it just wipes off again

have a bit of a mould problem with my machine probably inevitable after so many years

supposed to be a sandwich press but not great at that does cook bacon fine
but the thing is does toast then just wipes clean no mess
Wongy11017 m ago

I think the thing with baking power is it is also preventive don't use …I think the thing with baking power is it is also preventive don't use kitchen towel don't see the point ?my new brevil grill is great just use it as a toaster mostly

buzzfeed.com/rob…DB4

The lemon curd one seems a very bad idea.
Wongy11013 m ago

Yeah you sort of smear it on(as the actress said to the bishop)then when …Yeah you sort of smear it on(as the actress said to the bishop)then when you come to clean it just wipes off againhave a bit of a mould problem with my machine probably inevitable after so many years supposed to be a sandwich press but not great at that does cook bacon finebut the thing is does toast then just wipes clean no mess

What sort of things do you smear it on, the inside of the oven or? I'm curious to try it but not sure where I'd use that trick.

It'll be the liquid that does it. Using bio powder at least some of the time keep mould at bay. I've said this before haven't I?

Mmmm bacon... I could just eat some bacon.
Andy@XCite7 m ago

https://www.buzzfeed.com/robynwilder/mmm-tuna-mars-bar?utm_term=.ljMeZ8DB4#.ikXbao9XYThe lemon curd one seems a very bad idea.

Mars bar tuna? :X
Andy@XCite8 m ago

https://www.buzzfeed.com/robynwilder/mmm-tuna-mars-bar?utm_term=.ljMeZ8DB4#.ikXbao9XYThe lemon curd one seems a very bad idea.

Tinned breakfast toastie is worse Shirley ?

it was lemon meringue pie day yesterday

31710923-e41Vc.jpg
MSK.5 m ago

What sort of things do you smear it on, the inside of the oven or? I'm …What sort of things do you smear it on, the inside of the oven or? I'm curious to try it but not sure where I'd use that trick.It'll be the liquid that does it. Using bio powder at least some of the time keep mould at bay. I've said this before haven't I?Mmmm bacon... I could just eat some bacon.

The inside of the oven and the 'shelves' on the top as well

don't remember not used powder in years ta muchly
MSK.5 m ago

Mars bar tuna? :X

Missed that one

31710951-NkGQV.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions