Check if a motor vehicle, part or accessory has had a safety recall

Posted 19th Oct
Find out if the manufacturer has recalled a vehicle, part or accessory because of a serious safety problem.

You need to get your car fixed or replaced by the manufacturer if there’s a problem. You will not usually have to pay for any repairs or parts.

You can use the car registration number to check if it’s been recalled.

You can view:

• safety recalls that have not been checked or fixed
  • the car’s MOT history

You’ll be told by the manufacturer if a car has been recalled for any reason other than safety.

If you do not know the registration numberYou can check a car without knowing its registration number.

You need to know the manufacturer, model and year of manufacture.

Check other types of vehicleYou can check other types of vehicle for safety recalls. This includes:

• motorcycles, quadricycles and motor trikes
  • buses, coaches and minibuses
  • lorries
  • caravans
  • horse boxes
You need to know the manufacturer, model and year of manufacture.

Check parts or accessoriesYou can check parts or accessories for safety recalls. This includes:

• child car seats
  • seat belts and harnesses
  • tyres
  • components and parts
  • agricultural equipment

You need to know the manufacturer and model.

Check for any other registered faults. You can also check if the vehicle, part or accessory has a fault that’s been registered with the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).
Community Updates
GOV.UK DealsMisc

Groups

22 Comments
Well worth knowing for those who were unaware.
When I checked mine last time this was posted I discovered it had had a safety recall for a considerable time. Absolutely no effort by Ford to inform me about it - and I havent moved address recently. I normally only check deals, maybe could post it there for more traffic.
buzzard19/10/2019 08:43

When I checked mine last time this was posted I discovered it had had a …When I checked mine last time this was posted I discovered it had had a safety recall for a considerable time. Absolutely no effort by Ford to inform me about it - and I havent moved address recently. I normally only check deals, maybe could post it there for more traffic.

It's hard for them to know unless you bought it direct from them.
reckoning19/10/2019 09:00

DVLA are able to provide the information to a manufacturer in the event of a recall, so not very hard at all.
Tom.Wilson19/10/2019 09:13

DVLA are able to provide the information to a manufacturer in the event of …DVLA are able to provide the information to a manufacturer in the event of a recall, so not very hard at all.

Is it law to provide updates asap or at service intervals?
Toyota has air bag recalls. They said, they are awaiting for parts. Millions of car on recall for it. No ETA.
Mine is from Watford Branch Toyota
reckoning19/10/2019 10:12

Is it law to provide updates asap or at service intervals?

DVSA guidance is to launch mailings to registered keepers within 6 weeks of notice of a recall.
Thanks for this - looks like my wifes BMW (& 268,000 other Diesel BMW's) has an outstanding recall since July which I wasn't aware of. Verified on BMW website and booked in to my local BMW dealership with a courtesy lift back home after dropping it off (they're not obliged & won't offer a courtesy car but do offer a lift or a 'fastlane' while you wait appointment). Impressed that I did all of the above in 5 mins online and didn't need to speak to anyone. For anyone that owns a Diesel BMW you can check if your car is affected directly with the following link (you will need your 17 digit VIN number which will be on your V5 document or you can find on a black metal plate on the inside of the drivers door): bmw.co.uk/en/…tml
Gez2u19/10/2019 10:40

Thanks for this - looks like my wifes BMW (& 268,000 other Diesel BMW's) …Thanks for this - looks like my wifes BMW (& 268,000 other Diesel BMW's) has an outstanding recall since July which I wasn't aware of. Verified on BMW website and booked in to my local BMW dealership with a courtesy lift back home after dropping it off (they're not obliged & won't offer a courtesy car but do offer a lift or a 'fastlane' while you wait appointment). Impressed that I did all of the above in 5 mins online and didn't need to speak to anyone. For anyone that owns a Diesel BMW you can check if your car is affected directly with the following link (you will need your 17 digit VIN number which will be on your V5 document or you can find on a black metal plate on the inside of the drivers door): https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/footer/quick-links/bmw-vehicle-recalls.html

When mine went in for a recall they offered a hired rental car free or charge. You might wanna ask them
Fair enough - you don't ask you don't get right
Excellent link...
Tom.Wilson19/10/2019 10:24

DVSA guidance is to launch mailings to registered keepers within 6 weeks …DVSA guidance is to launch mailings to registered keepers within 6 weeks of notice of a recall.

So not law then, strange that it's not, if it's serious.
Zed96319/10/2019 10:44

When mine went in for a recall they offered a hired rental car free or …When mine went in for a recall they offered a hired rental car free or charge. You might wanna ask them

When I had mine done they gave me money for my taxi
Wish I hadn't checked now, it says "unintentional airbag deployment". Recall date was Feb 2015 and my car was registered in September 2014; it says number of affected vehicles 526.

My car has always been to the VW dealership for servicing, so wouldn't they have checked?
Melbury19/10/2019 13:02

Wish I hadn't checked now, it says "unintentional airbag deployment". …Wish I hadn't checked now, it says "unintentional airbag deployment". Recall date was Feb 2015 and my car was registered in September 2014; it says number of affected vehicles 526.My car has always been to the VW dealership for servicing, so wouldn't they have checked?

They certainly should have done.
Weird thing is, my 13 month old car (Jag E-pace) is coming up as a Citroen C3 and I got it from a Jag main dealer!!
Melbury19/10/2019 13:02

Wish I hadn't checked now, it says "unintentional airbag deployment". …Wish I hadn't checked now, it says "unintentional airbag deployment". Recall date was Feb 2015 and my car was registered in September 2014; it says number of affected vehicles 526.My car has always been to the VW dealership for servicing, so wouldn't they have checked?

Check with the DVSA as to whether their information needs updating - it's not 100% accurate.

Ford's after care is atrocious.
Excellent information link, the MOT history thing could be handy too if looking at buying a car
The government handed over "Recall" events to the dealers to police themselves. They very quickly dropped the word RECALL and not just call it "Enhancement"
If you say recall they will not hold their hands up, ....it is not a recall Sir, but we will see if an Enhancement is in order. Pathetic!!
peterdarlison219/10/2019 18:46

Ford's after care is atrocious.

It is a pleasant experience compared to BMW mate.
The government handed over "Recall" events to the dealers to police themselves. They very quickly dropped the word RECALL and not just call it "Enhancement"
If you say recall they will not hold their hands up, ....it is not a recall Sir, but we will see if an Enhancement is in order. Pathetic!!

Bought it from a Ford dealer, who are happy to send me emails offering me discounts on new fords. Had it serviced the first 3 years at a different ford dealer. My next of kin would have had good grounds to sue if anything had happened.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants