Groups

Check if your motor vehicle is insured.

Check your own vehicle insurance

askmid.com/own…le/

*Mod Edit: Thread has been tidied to remove any encouragement to check vehicles other than your own.

18 Comments

i tend to agree with you but its illegal isnt it?

surely the police already know dont they?

Original Poster

What is?

I used it when I changed to a private plate to make sure my insurance company had changed the vehicle details.

What you use if for is up to you

Original Poster

If you have every been hit by an unisured driver you might understand.

I know a few people who found this very helpfull.

kjbenja;6960710

If you have every been hit by an unisured driver you might understand.I … If you have every been hit by an unisured driver you might understand.I know a few people who found this very helpfull.

i wouldnt hesitate if i thought a neighbour was uninsured tbh-just saying i wouldnt tell the police where i got the info;-)

Confirm that this vehicle belongs to you
    I confirm that the vehicle detailed above is registered, owned or insured by either my employer or myself and is regularly driven by me. I understand it is an offence to wrongfully obtain information of this nature without reasonable cause and if I fail to provide true reasons for acquiring information I may be committing an offence of unlawfully obtaining data contrary to section 55 of the Data Protection Act 1988. I declare that the information provided will not be used for any purposes unrelated to this enquiry. I agree to the terms of use as stated on this web site.

kyalion;6960763

Confirm that this vehicle belongs to you I confirm that the vehicle … Confirm that this vehicle belongs to you I confirm that the vehicle detailed above is registered, owned or insured by either my employer or myself and is regularly driven by me. I understand it is an offence to wrongfully obtain information of this nature without reasonable cause and if I fail to provide true reasons for acquiring information I may be committing an offence of unlawfully obtaining data contrary to section 55 of the Data Protection Act 1988. I declare that the information provided will not be used for any purposes unrelated to this enquiry. I agree to the terms of use as stated on this web site.

And when you discover that there not insured, how do you go about reporting it without admitting that you have unlawfully obtained the data? :whistling:

brill heat added

This isn't a deal.

Great!!!
    I don't think you'll go to jail if you advise the police that you believe your neighbours car is uninsured - get a life!!!!!

Nitro111;6960786

And when you discover that there not insured, how do you go about … And when you discover that there not insured, how do you go about reporting it without admitting that you have unlawfully obtained the data? :whistling:

Breaching the DPA is a serious offence.

The system isn't infallible, it can take several days after getting insurance before the database is updated.
    You could be causing a lot of problems for someone who is driving legally, including having their car impounded and costing them hundreds of £'s to get it back.

Should they ever find out it was you who "shopped" them by unlawfully accessing a database, they have every right to bring court action against you for all their loss and damages.

In case someone asks the question how can they trace who looked? The website logs ALL IP address's along with the time and reg number looked at and it can be traced back via the IP address to the house/flat that made the query, simple computer forensics then pinpount exactly which computer accessed it.

"Breaching the DPA" penalties.

This offence carries a maximum penalty of a £5,000 fine in the magistrates' court, and an unlimited fine in the Crown Court.

Best advice, use the database for your own vehicle, don't use it for anything else.

grate find don't care if illegal i would goto jail to shop an uninsured driver so would most i think i would kill them if they hit my child ect.... so would be in jail either way!!!!!!!!!

curtain twitchers charter imho-so its ok to break the law to get details on someone who MAY be breaking the law?

so many people in the world who just cant mind their own business!

inaccurate and illegal.

good site if its right, im worried that a family member (child) is being driven about by an uninsured driver but didnt know how to do anything about it. how accurate is it?

dcx_badass;6961028

Surely you'd know.It's wrong anyway it claims my dads old car is … Surely you'd know.It's wrong anyway it claims my dads old car is uninsured, I don't think a huge worldwide company wouldn't insure a car.

your dad runs a worldwide company ?

Original Poster

When I checked my personal plate T***MAD it came up uninsured even though the DVLA office said that it would be changed.

When I rang my insurance company they still had the insurance under the old reg, so if I had been stop by the old bill I would have got done for no insurance.

Only 2 days later the details had been updated and now the new reg comes up as insured.

so it says my car on my drive has a false number plate as i doesnt exist

The results are never ever going to be 100% accurate, what about the many companies that now offer insurance cover for a day or two over the net?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cool kettle Bosch kettle cashback won't work. Help!22
      2. Question for electrician on bathroom fan45
      3. Cheapest way to obtain Microsoft Office?45
      4. To buy Iphone 611

See more discussions