Check your gas meters, I've overpaid by £1900 in 2 years!

Posted 16th Dec 2022
Just a heads up to anyone still submitting gas readings the old fashioned way.

For the last 2 years, Octopus have been converting my meter readings from cubic feet to cubic metres, done by multiplying by 2.83. My meter clearly states it is already reading in cubic metres so they should have missed that part of the equation when converting to kWh for billing.

This wasn't something I was aware was even a thing until I had a ridiculous bill come through. After going through my old bills, I have worked out Octopus owe us £1900. After a quick phone call, they agreed and have already credited the account with the amount.

Might be an isolated incident, but it's got to be worth a check!

4051867-dpK4T.jpg
Community Updates
New Comment

19 Comments

sorted by
  1. Avatar
    Went to check my meter. Remembered we don't have gas
  2. Avatar
    Blimey’ now that is a good find
  3. Avatar
    Well done OP, excellent result.
  4. Avatar
    49067453-uzX22.jpgthis is mine,tho it's gonna be 250 end of Dec with it being 7 💷 a day
    Same as me, measured in m³ already
  5. Avatar
    Wow, very well spotted 👏🏻 (edited)
  6. Avatar
    Nice surprise...£1900 is a lot. Great timing for Christmas
  7. Avatar
    Wow. Will check mine now.
  8. Avatar
    Nice spot mate, hopefully will give you around 3-4 months worth of gas
  9. Avatar
    Out of interest - why all the conversions? If meters read in cubic (feet or metres) why not price in same so people can work out their bills more easily? I'm sure there is a sensible reason I'm unaware of
    The reason is because you buy and pay for your energy in Kilowatt Hours Kwh but the meter measures your gas usage in Cubic Metres (or cubic Feet). So the measure of a physical volume of gas needs to be converted into an expression of energy used and that conversion has to be done mathematically. Its a good question, why they do this, its a mystery why you don't just pay for the volume you use in CuM. Probably a good explanation out there somewhere.
  10. Avatar
    Wow - good spot!
    We still submit readings so will check the meter (edited)
  11. Avatar
    Take the money out at get them to pay interest.
  12. Avatar
    Well spotted. Can't imagine for one moment that you're the only customer affected.

This needs spreading far and wide. Excellent find!!
  13. Avatar
    OP - great find. (edited)
Top Merchants