Check your Tesco Fuel transaction I've just been charged twice!!

Found 24th Jan 2015
Went to Tesco this morning and filled up with £49.77 of fuel. Just by chance I was checking my credit card account transactions online and noticed that the £49.77 had been charged twice. I contacted my Credit Card company and thy confirmed that this was the case and that I should contact Tesco for a refund.
I have spoken to them and they are getting back to me.

Do you think I shall be entitled to Double the Difference for being overcharged? : )

I would suggest if you have used Tesco for fuel that you check your credit card. I would have thought they had systems in place to stop you being charged more than once.

38 Comments

I doubt you'll get refunded double the difference , they'll probably apologise , refund the £49.77 and say it was a system error

iluvcake1

I doubt you'll get refunded double the difference , they'll probably … I doubt you'll get refunded double the difference , they'll probably apologise , refund the £49.77 and say it was a system error

http://academy.justjobs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/mgt67.png

Banned

You've not been overcharged as such though. It's not like buying something at £1 and being charged £1.30 through the till.

It's obviously an error though. Was your card declined originally or were you asked to enter your pin twice?

I was deducted 3 times on a flight back with Thomson, it was a nightmare getting my money back. Hope it's easier for you.

Original Poster

I realise double the difference is for instore purchases I did put my pin in twice as the operator said it did not go through first time so I csn see the error. I am just suprised the till accepted the transaction twice. I am guessing they will apologise and just refund one transaction

Wyley100

I was deducted 3 times on a flight back with Thomson, it was a nightmare … I was deducted 3 times on a flight back with Thomson, it was a nightmare getting my money back. Hope it's easier for you.

I didn't realise Tesco sold aviation fuel. oO

transit

what's that to do with Tesco or aviation

muddassarsardar

what's that to do with Tesco or aviation

Wut?

emmatthew

I realise double the difference is for instore purchases I did put my pin … I realise double the difference is for instore purchases I did put my pin in twice as the operator said it did not go through first time so I csn see the error. I am just suprised the till accepted the transaction twice. I am guessing they will apologise and just refund one transaction

Hmmm... The reason I stopped using Chip & PIN cards over counters was because (Disclaimer: allegedly) some employees at my regional Shell stations took it amongst themselves to re-enter details once customers had left the forecourt, but re-directed the funds to their own merchant accounts (/End Disclaimer).

After looking into this, I learned that transactions can be re-entered up to 45 minutes after the first attempt (in the event that a failure has occurred & to not keep the customer waiting unnecessarily).

A few years ago no safeguards existed related to the entry of duplicate transactions but, like you, I am surprised this is now not the case.

I am also surprised your credit card issuer asked you to resolve this, rather than taking the initiative themselves.

I will not bore you with all the discussions I have had with other members about this, but here is just one of them for your information:

[ hotukdeals.com/mis…914 ]

I would email the customer service and ask for double the difference as far as I was told by them that is their policy

credit card company should initiate a chargeback, telling you to deal with tesco seems a little weird..

Rather than joining in with the pretty pointless stuff above i'm going for a simple.

THANK YOU for pointing this out

And thats why i always pay cash at petrol stations. Have done since my local Shell was done for skimming cards and sending the proceeds to the Tamil Tigers in the Srilankan civil war.

I always pay with cash at filling stations for similar reasons to hooray henry.

I just you hope never had a triple whammy by filling up with their watered down Diesel! I hope they get stung big time for that.

thisismark

I just you hope never had a triple whammy by filling up with their … I just you hope never had a triple whammy by filling up with their watered down Diesel! I hope they get stung big time for that.

I love puzzles.

hooray henry

And thats why i always pay cash at petrol stations. Have done since my … And thats why i always pay cash at petrol stations. Have done since my local Shell was done for skimming cards and sending the proceeds to the Tamil Tigers in the Srilankan civil war.

I got a telephone call from my Bank asking if I had recently been in Australia, apparently I was on a bit of a spending spree . . . fortunately I was able to prove I wasn't in Australia; it was all tracked to someone in a service station.

thisismark

I just you hope never had a triple whammy by filling up with their … I just you hope never had a triple whammy by filling up with their watered down Diesel! I hope they get stung big time for that.

http://images1.tickld.com/live/1131205.gif

tryn2help

I got a telephone call from my Bank asking if I had recently been in … I got a telephone call from my Bank asking if I had recently been in Australia, apparently I was on a bit of a spending spree, someone in a service station

I've never been keen on sandwiches at service stations... X)

It just shows though how cards can easily be cloned/used though, I had mine used once but I also was able to prove I wasn't there at the time, not only did I get my money back but a bit of compensation as well, not asked for but offered by the bank and it would have been rude not to accept it
Edited by: "maccy1" 24th Jan 2015

maccy1

I've never been keen on sandwiches at service stations... X)It just … I've never been keen on sandwiches at service stations... X)It just shows though how cards can easily be cloned/used though, I had mine used once but I also was able to prove I wasn't there at the time, not only did I get my money back but a bit of compensation as well, not asked for but offered by the bank and it would have been rude not to accept it

I just got my cash replaced, but no compensation, and strangely enough there were never any charges or prosecutions at the Shell petrol station oO

tryn2help

I just got my cash replaced, but no compensation, and strangely enough … I just got my cash replaced, but no compensation, and strangely enough there were never any charges or prosecutions at the Shell petrol station

They will never find out who did it t2h it's rife.

Also there are the new Contactless Cards and some of which you don't even have to use at a cash point before they become valid, so in effect if they fall into the wrong hands they can be used straight away. Fortunately, there are still a lot of honest people around and also the banks are pretty good these days with refunding money if things like this do happen.

maccy1

They will never find out who did it t2h it's rife.Also there are the new … They will never find out who did it t2h it's rife.Also there are the new Contactless Cards and some of which you don't even have to use at a cash point before they become valid, so in effect if they fall into the wrong hands they can be used straight away. Fortunately, there are still a lot of honest people around and also the banks are pretty good these days with refunding money if things like this do happen.

Scary stuff, Maccy, not the like the old days when the wife was always the prime suspect. X)

tryn2help

Scary stuff, Maccy, not the like the old days when the wife was always … Scary stuff, Maccy, not the like the old days when the wife was always the prime suspect.

X)

Times change but not always for the better X) and on that note I'm going to sleep now, night night and don't you be dreaming about fraud

Id love to see the look ona crooks face if he was to skim my card. The proceeds wouldnt get him much before it was declined due to lack of funds. X)

Tesco;

Every little helps.

transit

You're so funny

fanpages

Hmmm... The reason I stopped using Chip & PIN cards over counters was … Hmmm... The reason I stopped using Chip & PIN cards over counters was because (Disclaimer: allegedly) some employees at my regional Shell stations took it amongst themselves to re-enter details once customers had left the forecourt, but re-directed the funds to their own merchant accounts (/End Disclaimer).After looking into this, I learned that transactions can be re-entered up to 45 minutes after the first attempt (in the event that a failure has occurred & to not keep the customer waiting unnecessarily).A few years ago no safeguards existed related to the entry of duplicate transactions but, like you, I am surprised this is now not the case.I am also surprised your credit card issuer asked you to resolve this, rather than taking the initiative themselves.I will not bore you with all the discussions I have had with other members about this, but here is just one of them for your information:[ http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/play-email-903617?p=10919914 ]

tryn2help

I got a telephone call from my Bank asking if I had recently been in … I got a telephone call from my Bank asking if I had recently been in Australia, apparently I was on a bit of a spending spree . . . fortunately I was able to prove I wasn't in Australia; it was all tracked to someone in a service station.

tryn2help

I just got my cash replaced, but no compensation, and strangely enough … I just got my cash replaced, but no compensation, and strangely enough there were never any charges or prosecutions at the Shell petrol station oO

For your information:
[ kentnews.co.uk/new…998 ]

maccy1

They will never find out who did it t2h it's rife.Also there are the new … They will never find out who did it t2h it's rife.Also there are the new Contactless Cards and some of which you don't even have to use at a cash point before they become valid, so in effect if they fall into the wrong hands they can be used straight away. Fortunately, there are still a lot of honest people around and also the banks are pretty good these days with refunding money if things like this do happen.

those contacless cards i got told there is an app that people can use to take money off your card so if you are sat on a bus or train and that person is close enough they can get some money from you i believe its small amounts tho

i got my card cloned a couple of weeks ago they had bought some flight tickets in africa i rang the back they cancelled my card and fully refunded me the same day, still dont know how they cloned it all the back could tell me it wasnt on a cash machine as my pin hadnt been used

A few years ago there was a problem with gangs targeting the less known petrol stations by one member getting recruits then recommending his mates until there were a few of them working there. They were then able to harvest card details but would sit on the info for several months and then pass on the card info which would then appear as transactions made in Mexico or the USA.

By the time of the card chargebacks and any police investigation, the staff would have already left their jobs.

If you regularly pay the same amount, say £30 for example, you could have an extra charge put on but would not realise as the amount and petrol station name are a familiar purchase. This was another scam, that thankfully has lessened in recent years and at the time it was advised to pay differing amounts each time you filled up, £30.06, £30.23 etc.

mercslkman

...those contacless cards i got told there is an app that people can use … ...those contacless cards i got told there is an app that people can use to take money off your card so if you are sat on a bus or train and that person is close enough they can get some money from you i believe its small amounts tho

The physical hardware to do this (of a discrete size to hide under clothing) has been available for some time; the publicity about "contactless payments" has just made the situation worse as "apps" are also now widely available as technology improves.

[ hotukdeals.com/mis…303 ]

Simply standing in close proximity within crowded areas (queuing to get in a concert, public firework displays [when your attention is to the sky, not around you], on an underground train, or on a bus, for instance), makes you a potential target.

[ hotukdeals.com/mis…890 ]

mercslkman

i got my card cloned a couple of weeks ago they had bought some flight … i got my card cloned a couple of weeks ago they had bought some flight tickets in africa i rang the back they cancelled my card and fully refunded me the same day, still dont know how they cloned it all the back could tell me it wasnt on a cash machine as my pin hadnt been used

The check-digits used within credit/debit card account numbers & the possible valid combinations of other digits for every debit/credit card are easy to obtain.

Once a scammer finds a site or vendor where the Chip & PIN card security code (the set of digits on the reverse of the card) is not required, all that remains is the (optional) start date & expiry dates, &/or an "issue reference" (for debit cards).

These can simply be guesswork.

Once a valid combination is achieved, if the information is not used electronically (either directly, or sold as a batch to the 'black market' [other colours are available]), a physical piece of plastic can be created effectively cloning an identity in some cases (if an organisation asks for 'proof' of a person's identity by way of producing a card from their wallet or purse!).

The use of "plastic payments" can be very helpful, but the misuse of the information they hold/represent can be very dangerous.

As mentioned previously, "cash is king" (for many reasons not associated with the typical usage of that phrase).

Wyley100

You're so funny

http://www.intomobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/cage-gifs-monster.gif

fanpages

Hmmm... The reason I stopped using Chip & PIN cards over counters was … Hmmm... The reason I stopped using Chip & PIN cards over counters was because (Disclaimer: allegedly) some employees at my regional Shell stations took it amongst themselves to re-enter details once customers had left the forecourt, but re-directed the funds to their own merchant accounts (/End Disclaimer).After looking into this, I learned that transactions can be re-entered up to 45 minutes after the first attempt (in the event that a failure has occurred & to not keep the customer waiting unnecessarily).A few years ago no safeguards existed related to the entry of duplicate transactions but, like you, I am surprised this is now not the case.I am also surprised your credit card issuer asked you to resolve this, rather than taking the initiative themselves.I will not bore you with all the discussions I have had with other members about this, but here is just one of them for your information:[ http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/play-email-903617?p=10919914 ]

Chip & Pin is for the banks benefit. It has no benefit for the card holder.

CrispEditor

Chip & Pin is for the banks benefit. It has no benefit for the card … Chip & Pin is for the banks benefit. It has no benefit for the card holder.

I have benefited from not having to repeat myself to shop till staff as to why I do not sign the strip on the reverse of my cards since "Chip & PIN" was introduced.

fanpages

I have benefited from not having to repeat myself to shop till staff as … I have benefited from not having to repeat myself to shop till staff as to why I do not sign the strip on the reverse of my cards since "Chip & PIN" was introduced.

Yes

Read the terms of the C&P. By using it (and I do, also), they have dissolved themselves of the responsibility of fake charges. In their words, C&P is unhackable, so the consumer has little redress should their be fake or phantom charges.

Original Poster

Just an update. I have been in contact with Tesco and they tell me the duplicate is a ghost transaction and should drop off my account within 10 days they have also faxed my cc provider cap1 to confirm. I am confident with their response so should not be charged twice.

transit

Wut?

They must be new round these parts
Post a comment
@
    Text