Checkatrade

Found 19th Jul
I haven't used checkatrade much until now and just looking at bathroom fitters at the moment on there to build a new ensuite and add a toilet.

I note a lot of them have 'billed to quote' of less than 100% and 'billed above quote but kept informed' of around 5% to 10%, a statistic that is available on the checkatrade website.

Anyone familiar with checkatrade and can comment on whether I should worry if the bill to quote is less than 100%, and if so, what level should I accept? I am thinking maybe 95% and above is acceptable?
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
I assume 'bill to quote' means the final bill in comparison to the quote. If that's the case I shouldn't worry about those that show less - that just shows the trader is putting some contingency on his quote for the unexpected cost. The fact that he's not bumping the price up to the quoted price shows that he's being fair(er) with his customers.
The 'above' group are not necessarily crooks - they could simply be cutting the quote to the bone in order to win the bid. Worry more about the reviews of the quality, go and look at some work they've done if you can.
Edited by: "mrty" 19th Jul
mrty26 m ago

I assume 'bill to quote' means the final bill in comparison to the quote. …I assume 'bill to quote' means the final bill in comparison to the quote. If that's the case I shouldn't worry about those that show less - that just shows the trader is putting some contingency on his quote for the unexpected cost. The fact that he's not bumping the price up to the quoted price shows that he's being fair(er) with his customers.The 'above' group are not necessarily crooks - they could simply be cutting the quote to the bone in order to win the bid. Worry more about the reviews of the quality, go and look at some work they've done if you can.

for example a trader will have a statistic of 95% billed to quote and 5% 'billed above quote but kept informed'.

it means that from the reviews given, 95% of the time, the customer had reported that he has been billed as quoted, but that 5% of the time, the customer had reported that his actual final bill had increased above that quoted but that he had been informed to the reason why.

the reviews percentage on the traders' work is high otherwise, so it shows the customer is satisfied with the trader's work but that you should expect the final bill to come to more than that quoted 5% of the time.
There are no bad reviews on Checkatrade, they are not allowed. Draw your own conclusions.
Pandamansays4 m ago

There are no bad reviews on Checkatrade, they are not allowed. Draw your …There are no bad reviews on Checkatrade, they are not allowed. Draw your own conclusions.

They don't post actual reviews as far as I can see, unless I am not looking in the right area. I only see the percentage rating of the traders quality of work, courtesy, time keeping, missed appointments. So only percentage voting out of 100% given by customers. No actual comments from customers are posted on the site.
mutley110 m ago

They don't post actual reviews as far as I can see, unless I am not …They don't post actual reviews as far as I can see, unless I am not looking in the right area. I only see the percentage rating of the traders quality of work, courtesy, time keeping, missed appointments. So only percentage voting out of 100% given by customers. No actual comments from customers are posted on the site.

I see individual reviews from each customer
Ive not used checkatrade I tend to do all my own diy, however to me a figure of 95% seams resonable as there are quite often unforseen circumstances or customer additions.
123thisisme1 h, 12 m ago

Ive not used checkatrade I tend to do all my own diy, however to me a …Ive not used checkatrade I tend to do all my own diy, however to me a figure of 95% seams resonable as there are quite often unforseen circumstances or customer additions.

this is my thinking. i looked at gas engineers for boiler installation and most had 100% billed to quote but when I looked at bathroom fitter, i struggled to find traders with 100% billed to quote. this may be indicative of the type of job as to whether a quote can be accurate.

it may be that bathroom installations can become more complicated, with unforseen complications, or customer changing the specification, whereas boiler installation is less prone to variation.
mutley13 h, 14 m ago

this is my thinking. i looked at gas engineers for boiler installation …this is my thinking. i looked at gas engineers for boiler installation and most had 100% billed to quote but when I looked at bathroom fitter, i struggled to find traders with 100% billed to quote. this may be indicative of the type of job as to whether a quote can be accurate.it may be that bathroom installations can become more complicated, with unforseen complications, or customer changing the specification, whereas boiler installation is less prone to variation.

Exactly that. We are members of checkatrade (plumbing and gas engineer. ) When you quote for a job like a bathroom there is a lot you can't see. You make assumptions and quote based on that but when you remove the old suite or tiles you don't know what you're going to find that needs rectifying or renewing. This may then affect the end cost but the customer should always be kept informed of that. This is when the checkatrade reviews show 'above quote but kept informed'
Pandamansays20 h, 45 m ago

I see individual reviews from each customer

thank you. i didn't see the reviews tab, just looked again after reading this. doh
Be careful used checkatrade and came across rogues and checkatrade were about helpful as a chocolate fireguard. They appear to me to only be interested in the subscription fees paid.
Shahid19739 h, 54 m ago

Be careful used checkatrade and came across rogues and checkatrade were …Be careful used checkatrade and came across rogues and checkatrade were about helpful as a chocolate fireguard. They appear to me to only be interested in the subscription fees paid.

i read the reviews and choose ones with high number of reviews, from 50 upwards, with average scores of above 9.8 and who has been with checkatrade more than one year. i just hoping this is enough to filter out the dodgy ones.

did your rogue tradesman satisfy the above vetting? just wanted to know how reliable those reviews are and whether they could easily be created by the tradesman himself?
All I know is that sites like checkatrade in my humble opinion are interested in the monthly subscriptions as like you I did my due diligence and chose the contractor with the highest score. I have found rated people much better for finding the right person.
Shahid197311 h, 55 m ago

All I know is that sites like checkatrade in my humble opinion are …All I know is that sites like checkatrade in my humble opinion are interested in the monthly subscriptions as like you I did my due diligence and chose the contractor with the highest score. I have found rated people much better for finding the right person.

thanks. not heard of rated people before, will have a look.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants