Cheese making at home

Found 26th Apr
Does anyone make their own cheese from supermarket milk here. I have made a few this week and I am surprised at how easy it is and how tasty it is even matured a couple of days. I couldn't resist tasting it today and it was just like edam.
Anyone got any tips etc.

Will definitely be buying up discounted milk to convert it to cheese. Moneysaver
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
Never knew that can you show us pics to see how it came out, and tell us the ingredients so I can try it at home
Same here, would like to know
19DembaBa191 h, 11 m ago

Never knew that can you show us pics to see how it came out, and tell us …Never knew that can you show us pics to see how it came out, and tell us the ingredients so I can try it at home

qwales30 m ago

Same here, would like to know

Been doing this a few years now

Put the milk in a large pan on a very very low heat add a drop of vinegar or lemon juice

should curdle in ten minutes or so

strain off in a muslin bag

a lot of recipes seem to say boil the milk
Edited by: "Wongy110" 26th Apr
I tried it once and managed to burn it. At least I tried.
I put mine in a pan, heat to 30degree Celsius. Then add mesophilic II culture. Stir it in and leave it about 1hour. Then add about 10drops of rennet and 10 drops of calcium chloride. Leave another hour or so or overnight. Then when its set just cut into cubes and drain and put in a collinder and add sea salt, mix about gently then into a cloth. I used new dishcloths cut open at first as they are fine enough to hold most of the curds. Then just put into something with suitable holes in the bottom so you can weight the thing down and drain more whey out. Leave overnight with a fair bit of weight on top then next day put into a dry cloth and leave. You can add a bit more sea salt to the outside to stop it moulding if you like at this stage. Then after a few days you notice it drying out, it has a lovely mild taste.

You have to use whole milk. And adding salt definitely helps the taste. You just have to make sure its pure salt without anything added in.
If you search on YouTube you get the general idea. But you don't need to mess heating to certain temps and stiring for hours unless you want a specific cheese.
I might give it a try - I already smoke store bought cheddar, so this would be the next step - I love my cheese!

I think muslin cloths are what you should use to strain the curds though, should be easy to buy from somewhere.
Just reading up on making it and although you say stir and leave it for an hour - cheesemaking.com says you should keep it at a stable temperature - so how did you manage to keep it at 30deg? Were you checking the temp all the time? Did you have to adjust the cooker much? *edit oh just saw your comment where you said you don't need to stick to the temperatures...

Also can I ask where you got the culture and Rennet from? I've only been able to find freeze dried packets and tablets good for making rather large amounts of cheese.
Edited by: "Bigfootpete" 26th Apr
I got a dried packet off ebay. You can make a culture from it and just freeze it in the ice cube bags or tray. And use it like you would a yeast. You don't need much of it. I keep my sachet in the fridge and have a batch in freezer cube bags when I run put.
Also got vegetarian rennet from ebay too.
MonkeysUncle4 h, 30 m ago

I put mine in a pan, heat to 30degree Celsius. Then add mesophilic II …I put mine in a pan, heat to 30degree Celsius. Then add mesophilic II culture. Stir it in and leave it about 1hour. Then add about 10drops of rennet and 10 drops of calcium chloride. Leave another hour or so or overnight. Then when its set just cut into cubes and drain and put in a collinder and add sea salt, mix about gently then into a cloth. I used new dishcloths cut open at first as they are fine enough to hold most of the curds. Then just put into something with suitable holes in the bottom so you can weight the thing down and drain more whey out. Leave overnight with a fair bit of weight on top then next day put into a dry cloth and leave. You can add a bit more sea salt to the outside to stop it moulding if you like at this stage. Then after a few days you notice it drying out, it has a lovely mild taste.You have to use whole milk. And adding salt definitely helps the taste. You just have to make sure its pure salt without anything added in.

Christ - just go and buy cheese already!
moob5 h, 38 m ago

Christ - just go and buy cheese already!

where's your sense of adventure?
psychobitchfromhell48 m ago

It does sound a bit of a faff tbh will definitely try adding some salt next time I make paneer however.
Wongy11016 m ago

It does sound a bit of a faff tbh will definitely try adding some salt …It does sound a bit of a faff tbh will definitely try adding some salt next time I make paneer however.

and I'll try not to burn it. Quite an achievement to burn cheese
psychobitchfromhell6 m ago

and I'll try not to burn it. Quite an achievement to burn cheese

Mmmm certainly burnt enough pizzas in my time.
psychobitchfromhell21 h, 49 m ago

Scurrying off doing more interesting things than making cheese. Each to their own though.
moob44 m ago

Scurrying off doing more interesting things than making cheese. Each to …Scurrying off doing more interesting things than making cheese. Each to their own though.

I had a glut of milk and thought how hard can it be? turns out it's harder than it looks. Should've made rice pudding.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions