chemical taste in boiled water via kettle and hob

LocalFound 28th Jun 2017
Hi we have a issue when we boil water either by kettle or hob it has a chemical taste and overpowers hot drinks.

Even Anglian water are stuck for a solution

Tried new tap
New kettle
Boil via hob
NRV fitted to washing machine dishwasher

Any help appreciated
Thank you
Community Updates
AskHobKettle
17 Comments
water filter ?
Buy bottle water and boil to see if its the Kettle. and contact you water supply company to do a water test
sion22

Buy bottle water and boil to see if its the Kettle. and contact you water … Buy bottle water and boil to see if its the Kettle. and contact you water supply company to do a water test

Bottled water is fine. Water tests done and found a plasticizer in water from kitchen tap. They state from
The meter it tested fine but I didn't get
To try any lol. Also the whole estate is supplied via mdpe plastic piping
srp111

water filter ?

Tried a jug one made no difference why should I have to spend out on a under sink filter just to get
Acceptable hot drink?
Try the water at a few neighbours, using your own kettle and also theirs. If you get the same off taste, it's not your fault, but the water companies. Saying they are stuck for a solution, doesn't mean it's not their problem.

If the water at the neighbours is fine, then it's probably your problem, and you will need to think of a solution, such as relaying the supply pipe on your property.

Try samples from as many friends/neighbours as possible, both on and off the estate, as you may be able to pinpoint an area that has off tasting water, and thus find a common denominator.

Has this always been the case or is it a recent thing. This information might help determine a cause also.
Edited by: "BluePandaMan" 28th Jun 2017
BluePandaMan

Try the water at a few neighbours, using your own kettle and also theirs. … Try the water at a few neighbours, using your own kettle and also theirs. If you get the same off taste, it's not your fault, but the water companies. Saying they are stuck for a solution, doesn't mean it's not their problem. If the water at the neighbours is fine, then it's probably your problem, and you will need to think of a solution, such as relaying the supply pipe on your property.Try samples from as many friends/neighbours as possible, both on and off the estate, as you may be able to pinpoint an area that has off tasting water, and thus find a common denominator.Has this always been the case or is it a recent thing. This information might help determine a cause also.

Thank you, I have asked other neighbours
And they say that they have the same taste as me. anglian water did test neighbouring property's but stated nothing was found. We have lived her for about a year and had the problem since moved in. Thanks again
BluePandaMan

Try the water at a few neighbours, using your own kettle and also theirs. … Try the water at a few neighbours, using your own kettle and also theirs. If you get the same off taste, it's not your fault, but the water companies. Saying they are stuck for a solution, doesn't mean it's not their problem. If the water at the neighbours is fine, then it's probably your problem, and you will need to think of a solution, such as relaying the supply pipe on your property.Try samples from as many friends/neighbours as possible, both on and off the estate, as you may be able to pinpoint an area that has off tasting water, and thus find a common denominator.Has this always been the case or is it a recent thing. This information might help determine a cause also.

A plumber has said central heating paste
May of been used on the joints ?
MWC20121 h, 9 m ago

A plumber has said central heating pasteMay of been used on the joints ?

drinking water comes straight from the mains and the central heating system is sealed so drinking water would not have gone past the radiator or boiler pipes to be affected by the central heating paste?
mutley1

drinking water comes straight from the mains and the central heating … drinking water comes straight from the mains and the central heating system is sealed so drinking water would not have gone past the radiator or boiler pipes to be affected by the central heating paste?

No the stopcock he removed said stinks of central heating paste so they have used that paste on my water pipes
Therefore contaminating the water.
What I'd like to no is what damage harm could of been done drinking it as my newborn has been drinking the water
Might be worth getting something like this

amazon.co.uk/Wat…UHX

I'm pretty sure that the water companies have to do regular tests and that it'll be within the safe limits, but testing the water may give you peace of mind.
MWC201212 h, 26 m ago

No the stopcock he removed said stinks of central heating paste so they …No the stopcock he removed said stinks of central heating paste so they have used that paste on my water pipesTherefore contaminating the water.

that sounds really odd. do you mean the main stopcock to the property? i am puzzled how the central heating paste manage to get into the stopcock, but that would explain the odd chemical taste. i doubt the chemical would be safe to congest.
mutley1

that sounds really odd. do you mean the main stopcock to the property? i … that sounds really odd. do you mean the main stopcock to the property? i am puzzled how the central heating paste manage to get into the stopcock, but that would explain the odd chemical taste. i doubt the chemical would be safe to congest.

Yes the main stopcock under kitchen sink. My plumber believes they have used central heating paste rather than the correct paste for the job but he also stated it should not be used on water supply. Worried as newborn has also been drinking it and can't get advice help anywhere no one is interested. thanks for your time
We are with Anglia too, my wife kept getting a sore throat. In the end we bought a kettle with a filter and she has been fine since.
MWC201211 m ago

Yes the main stopcock under kitchen sink. My plumber believes they have …Yes the main stopcock under kitchen sink. My plumber believes they have used central heating paste rather than the correct paste for the job but he also stated it should not be used on water supply. Worried as newborn has also been drinking it and can't get advice help anywhere no one is interested. thanks for your time

Sounds like there was a leak and so they used central heating sealant of some sort to temporarily stop the leak. If the chemical taste is still present, you could replace the stopcock and ask the plumber if the pipe around that area can be cleaned or replaced if it cannot be cleaned adequately.

The paste would be dangerous to ingest on its own but as you are only getting traces of it in the water, you should be fine.
123thisisme

We are with Anglia too, my wife kept getting a sore throat. In the end we … We are with Anglia too, my wife kept getting a sore throat. In the end we bought a kettle with a filter and she has been fine since.

Anglian water have just been out again and confirmed the wrong paste had been used. We did change stopcock but can still taste so will have to now re do pipe work under sink and hope that fixes it. As it can be tasted in all taps around house. Thank you again
mutley1

Sounds like there was a leak and so they used central heating sealant of … Sounds like there was a leak and so they used central heating sealant of some sort to temporarily stop the leak. If the chemical taste is still present, you could replace the stopcock and ask the plumber if the pipe around that area can be cleaned or replaced if it cannot be cleaned adequately. The paste would be dangerous to ingest on its own but as you are only getting traces of it in the water, you should be fine.

*** Just to update we had another visit yesterday from Anglian water. It's still questionable if the wrong paste was used on joints and the stopcock has been taken away for lab testing. However anglian water did connect a stop hose to outside boundary meter point we boiled this water and the taste was still apparent?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants