Cheryl Cole and Dannie Minogue - Glasgow Airport, Slagging Glasgow accent

49 replies
Found 9th Jun 2009
Just heard on the radio that a worker at Glasgow airport overheard Cheryl and Danni slagging off the Glasgow accent as they have just arrived for auditions for the x-factor.
Being from Glasgow I know some of the Glasgow accents can be very strong but not everyone speaks that way and there are many people here with lovely accents.
Does Cheryl Cole forget where she came from. A Newcastle council estate. Remember when she started out her Geordie accent was really strong and now she has managed to tone it down slightly. Not having a dig at any Geordies on here but Cheryl doesn't exactly have the sweetest of accents herself!
Can I call her a b!tch on here. Ooops just did!

1. Misc
  2. Glasgow
49 Comments

Feck them both, who cares what they think anyways, I like the Glasgow accent, from Dundee myself, thank god I've nearly lost that accent lol.

They have a valid point ...........thats coming from a brummie ha ha

Original Poster

AshleyRFC;5443590

Feck them both, who cares what they think anyways, I like the Glasgow … Feck them both, who cares what they think anyways, I like the Glasgow accent, from Dundee myself, thank god I've nearly lost that accent lol.

Exactly! Feck em both!!! :evil::whistling:

Original Poster

smithyp1;5443594

They have a valid point ...........thats coming from a brummie ha ha

i was hoping a brummie would comment....lol. Nuff said!!:thumbsup:

Johniemac;5443608

Exactly! Feck em both!!! :evil::whistling:

Cheryl is a pretty girl, until she opens her mouth, so shes not really one to talk.

Original Poster

AshleyRFC;5443617

Cheryl is a pretty girl, until she opens her mouth, so shes not really … Cheryl is a pretty girl, until she opens her mouth, so shes not really one to talk.

Agreed. Good looking but is a bit of a chav. Her early days in Girls Aloud when out on the town werent exactly of lady like status.:o

im Scottish and cant stand the weedgie accent

Banned

I've got something I could stick in her mouth to shut her up!!

Original Poster

phatboy123;5443670

I can't stand your accent and I don't even know where your from yet!:x

Original Poster

Paddy Charlie;5443688

I've got something I could stick in her mouth to shut her up!!

PC. You've always got to lower the tone. Great!!!!:-D

phatboy123;5443670

Edinburgh?

To be fair there is 1 scottish accent that I just cant stand, goes right through me.

Its the Fife accent, ughhh.

they 2 have a cheek to talk! like all accents there is some stronger than others and i,m proud of fine

i am from easterhouse so had quite a strong glasgow one! :w00t: not quite as loud now as what i used to be :oops:

Original Poster

Theres only one accent that gets me. The scouse accent.
It's wierd though. I don't mind the guys scouse accent as it's just another accent, but the scouse girls accent just grates me big time. That high pitch squeal that comes out of their mouths. Arrghhh!!

I've lived in Glasgow for 5 years now, so my accent is pretty much gone, I dont say any Dundonian words anymore.

When I first moved here my accent was very strong, but its hard not to use wards like aye, anaw, anno now lol.

Before it was ken, eh, ba, wa, peh, teh, I'm sure you get the picture lol.

Original Poster

wulshaz;5443732

they 2 have a cheek to talk! like all accents there is some stronger than … they 2 have a cheek to talk! like all accents there is some stronger than others and i,m proud of fine

Exactly mate. If they were posh and spoke with nice accents themselves then I could maybe understand their snobery. Think cole has forgotten herself!

Original Poster

AshleyRFC;5443765

I've lived in Glasgow for 5 years now, so my accent is pretty much gone, … I've lived in Glasgow for 5 years now, so my accent is pretty much gone, I dont say any Dundonian words anymore.When I first moved here my accent was very strong, but its hard not to use wards like aye, anaw, anno now lol.Before it was ken, eh, ba, wa, peh, teh, I'm sure you get the picture lol.

LOL:w00t: LOL:thumbsup:
Think I got the picture!

Johniemac;5443772

Exactly mate. If they were posh and spoke with nice accents themselves … Exactly mate. If they were posh and spoke with nice accents themselves then I could maybe understand their snobery. Think cole has forgotten herself!

Think she's forgotten to eat aswell judging by the pics I seen of her this morning.

Original Poster

AshleyRFC;5443785

Think she's forgotten to eat aswell judging by the pics I seen of her … Think she's forgotten to eat aswell judging by the pics I seen of her this morning.

Yeah, she is a bit of a stick insect. Stick insect with a nice head and horrible accent!:p

Edit:
Sorry that was a bad one! Taxi!!!!

Johniemac;5443802

Yeah, she is a bit of a stick insect. Stick insect with a nice head and … Yeah, she is a bit of a stick insect. Stick insect with a nice head and horrible accent!:p

lol we're so mean, bet if shes reading this shes crying over her carrot stick.

Banned

Being born in oxford and speaking the queens english, i think i have the best accent because everyone can understand me. I hate really strong accents whether they are scottish, irish, welsh, australian, american or even foreign. No good talking if no one else apart from your inbred town can understand what your saying.

lumoruk;5443839

Being born in oxford and speaking the queens english, i think i have the … Being born in oxford and speaking the queens english, i think i have the best accent because everyone can understand me. I hate really strong accents whether they are scottish, irish, welsh, australian, american or even foreign. No good talking if no one else apart from your inbred town can understand what your saying.

inbred? lol

A bit rich from Cheryl, considering her accent.

Love Scottish accents, especially the Glaswegian accent.

Last time I went, I was accosted by a drunk Glaswegian, he grabbed me by the neck, and said I hate the feffing English, your not English youse?
Me: err Yes
Him Wherboots?
Me: Yorkshire
Him Ah yer scum like me then, let me buy you a swally

He then bought me a rum and pepp.

Original Poster

lumoruk;5443839

Being born in oxford and speaking the queens english, i think i have the … Being born in oxford and speaking the queens english, i think i have the best accent because everyone can understand me. I hate really strong accents whether they are scottish, irish, welsh, australian, american or even foreign. No good talking if no one else apart from your inbred town can understand what your saying.

The last I looked Glasgow had a bigger population than Oxford.
Easy calculation would mean there would be more inbred people in Oxford with most people being distant relatives.:w00t:

Edit:
Sorry, relatives with a nice accent

I hate Cheryls accent - It's like a dog miaowing.

Original Poster

DKLS;5443871

A bit rich from Cheryl, considering her accent. Love Scottish accents, … A bit rich from Cheryl, considering her accent. Love Scottish accents, especially the Glaswegian accent.Last time I went, I was accosted by a drunk Glaswegian, he grabbed me by the neck, and said I hate the feffing English, your not English youse?Me: err YesHim Wherboots?Me: YorkshireHim Ah yer scum like me then, let me buy you a swallyHe then bought me a rum and pepp.

Was it ME!!!:o

Original Poster

DragonChris;5443896

I hate Cheryls accent - It's like a dog miaowing.

LOL:-D

lol @ all the whiter than white comments..................

now over seas calls centres.............................

haha

Johniemac;5443913

Was it ME!!!:o

If you ended up getting totally bladdered on Rum and Pep with a strange Yorkshire man and his bird til 4am, Yes.

Best pub banter in the world in Glasgow.

#care

Original Poster

DKLS;5443954

If you ended up getting totally bladdered on Rum and Pep with a strange … If you ended up getting totally bladdered on Rum and Pep with a strange Yorkshire man and his bird til 4am, Yes.Best pub banter in the world in Glasgow.

Nice 1. Gotta love the banter. You yorkshire men can drink, I'll give you that.
When I lived in Sydney I had a couple of mates from Yorkshire. Boy could they party!

to be fair they have a point but I would distinguish between the different areas of glasgow as some of the less savoury parts the accents there just make me cringe.

all that awwww right mucka whit ye up tae should be beat out of them as kids.

i couldnt care less who they are taking the mickey out of, i would still hit them both like a ginger step kid.

Original Poster

ants97;5444058

to be fair they have a point but I would distinguish between the … to be fair they have a point but I would distinguish between the different areas of glasgow as some of the less savoury parts the accents there just make me cringe. all that awwww right mucka whit ye up tae should be beat out of them as kids.

I hate to hear that too. I don't speak like that and to tell you the truth, most people from Glasgow dont.
Thats chavs, neds or whatever people call them from various parts of the UK.
In my whole time working in various companies I've not yet heard a normal hard working Glaswegian speak like that.
Theres having an accent and then theres speaking slang!

I once overheard simon cowel say that everyone from Leicester was stupid.....

I said ^^^^ so it must be true?

Even if they did say it, so blummin what. lol

I don't like certain accents, it's my opinion, I'm entitled to it.

Original Poster

brettytopbanana;5444096

i couldnt care less who they are taking the mickey out of, i would still … i couldnt care less who they are taking the mickey out of, i would still hit them both like a ginger step kid.

Now thats a valid point you've made there.

Johniemac;5444013

Nice 1. Gotta love the banter. You yorkshire men can drink, I'll give you … Nice 1. Gotta love the banter. You yorkshire men can drink, I'll give you that.When I lived in Sydney I had a couple of mates from Yorkshire. Boy could they party!

I think it was the fact that I could match my new pal drink for drink that impressed him.

The only people I have ever met who can drink more than the Scots and Yorkshire folk is people from Finland, its like a national sport to them.

Johniemac;5444098

I hate to hear that too. I don't speak like that and to tell you the … I hate to hear that too. I don't speak like that and to tell you the truth, most people from Glasgow dont.Thats chavs, neds or whatever people call them from various parts of the UK.In my whole time working in various companies I've not yet heard a normal hard working Glaswegian speak like that.Theres having an accent and then theres speaking slang!

they do in various parts and if you hang about at the buchanan st end of sauchiehall street you will hear that grating twang from the trackie turned up at bottoms neds. head over to easterhouse if you dare and by god its like another language, thankfully by the time you reach morrisons at the fort most people speak with the softer twang.

ants97;5444058

to be fair they have a point but I would distinguish between the … to be fair they have a point but I would distinguish between the different areas of glasgow as some of the less savoury parts the accents there just make me cringe. all that awwww right mucka whit ye up tae should be beat out of them as kids.

Where have you been hiding? Not seen ya for days.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Anyone else bored of video gaming2953
    2. Lego Dimensions has officially been cancelled. (Statement from TT Games)1112
    3. Add one, leave one game54415464
    4. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…52115

See more discussions