Chicken Breast From Butchers - Last How Long?

Posted 1st Mar 2019
How long *should* chicken breast from the butchers last when stored in the fridge? 2-3 days??
(It really stunk)
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

27 Comments
If it stinks throw it. Pretty obvious really.
Edited by: "StonkwellBogtrotter" 1st Mar 2019
Should be a few days, depending on how cold your fridge and how good a butcher.
StonkwellBogtrotter01/03/2019 17:48

If it stinks throw it. Pretty obvious really.

Not what I was asking mate. I was asking how long should it last
AMaky01/03/2019 17:53

Should be a few days, depending on how cold your fridge and how good a …Should be a few days, depending on how cold your fridge and how good a butcher.

So 2-3 days is fine and wouldn’t encourage you to change butchers? :/
Aidan94g01/03/2019 18:02

So 2-3 days is fine and wouldn’t encourage you to change butchers? :/

Not sure what you are asking?
AMaky01/03/2019 18:12

Not sure what you are asking?

Is it normal for it to only last 2-3 days?
No it should last longer.

I never buy anything from local butchers as its always old stuff he sells. I'd gladly buy more from there if it wasn't manky old stuff, no wonder high streets are dying - most are rip off merchants.
Aidan94g11 m ago

No it can be longer, depends how its packed too.
Most have labels or you can ask about dates.
Wasn’t there a date on it?

I’d expect it to last more than 2/3 days, BUT if I weren’t using it within that timeframe I’d freeze it and thaw the night before using.
Ask your butcher?
1 day if it's fresh , just put it in the freezer.
Aidan94g01/03/2019 18:00

Not what I was asking mate. I was asking how long should it last

It should last a few days at least if kept in the fridge. I've seen packed chicken in Asda with a week on it but I wouldn't expect long dates from butchers. If it stinks it's gone bad how many days did you have it for
Edited by: "MR1123" 1st Mar 2019
MR112326 m ago

It should last a few days at least if kept in the fridge. I've seen packed …It should last a few days at least if kept in the fridge. I've seen packed chicken in Asda with a week on it but I wouldn't expect long dates from butchers. If it stinks it's gone bad how many days did you have it for

Only 2 or 3 days
andynicol48 m ago

Wasn’t there a date on it?I’d expect it to last more than 2/3 days, BUT if …Wasn’t there a date on it?I’d expect it to last more than 2/3 days, BUT if I weren’t using it within that timeframe I’d freeze it and thaw the night before using.

No date

Yeah I was planning to but things came up
Belter
If you were working in catering you’d give it three days from the time you put it in your fridge. The reality is if your fridge temperature is correct it’ll probably last a lot longer.
Depends on how good your fridge is... I would say max 2 days...
if it stinks then it’s gone off. Throw it away & next time put them in the freezer and take them out about an hour before you start cookin.
Edited by: "Merry000" 1st Mar 2019
There are to many variables for any one to tell you exactly, a couple of days should be right but No one can say for sure depends on how you stored it even between buying and putting in the fridge, when it was cut, how good and busy your butcher is. If it smells bad don’t eat it.
Aidan94g01/03/2019 18:16

No its not, if it stinks after only 2-3 days in your fridge then it was already going off when you bought it.
Chuck it out, and change your butcher.
Delbert.Grady02/03/2019 11:17

No its not, if it stinks after only 2-3 days in your fridge then it was …No its not, if it stinks after only 2-3 days in your fridge then it was already going off when you bought it.Chuck it out, and change your butcher.

I had a suspicion that was the case. Thanks I’ll look about for an alternative
  • How long does raw chicken last in the fridge or freezer? The exact answer to that question depends to a large extent on storage conditions - keep chicken refrigerated at all times.
  • How long does raw chicken last in the refrigerator? After chicken is purchased, it may be refrigerated for 1 to 2 days - the "sell-by" date on the package may expire during that storage period, but the chicken will remain safe to use after the sell by date if it has been properly stored.
  • Unopened raw chicken may be kept in its original store packaging when refrigerating; to maximize the shelf life of chicken, do not open the package until ready to use.
  • How long does raw chicken last at room temperature? Bacteria grow rapidly at temperatures between 40° F and 140° F; chicken should be discarded if left for more than 2 hours at room temperature.
stilltasty.com/foo…788

37170682-DUyKv.jpg
Edited by: "fearona" 2nd Mar 2019
If I buy fresh chicken I eat it the same day or keep in the fridge overnight otherwise straight in the freezer and defrost overnight for cooking the next day. If it stinks it's not worth risking.
Just wash it in chlorine that's what the Americans do.
Can't wait to see all their after brexit plans fail. No one is going to buy that stuff, same as hormone fed beef and gm crops. No thanks shove it up Donald's Trumper.
Aidan94g12 h, 57 m ago

I had a suspicion that was the case. Thanks I’ll look about for an a …I had a suspicion that was the case. Thanks I’ll look about for an alternative

If the butcher is doing that. Maybe environmental health need to pay him a visit. You have noticed but will the next person
MonkeysUncle2 h, 51 m ago

Just wash it in chlorine that's what the Americans do. (y)Can't wait to …Just wash it in chlorine that's what the Americans do. (y)Can't wait to see all their after brexit plans fail. No one is going to buy that stuff, same as hormone fed beef and gm crops. No thanks shove it up Donald's Trumper.

Did not expect to find brexit in response to my smelly chicken post
The problem is you don’t know how long it’s been in the butchers fridge for!
howarth31 h, 30 m ago

The problem is you don’t know how long it’s been in the butchers fridge for …The problem is you don’t know how long it’s been in the butchers fridge for!

Is that something they are supposed to inform you?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants