Found 8th Oct 2009
i have been googling a good recipe for this but there are a few. just wondering if anyone had a very tried and tested version of making this.

the simpler the better.

thanks

1. Misc
  2. Chicken
10 Comments

havent got one myself but,
have you tried the bbc recipe finder? i always find that quite good.

I normally just make a simple while/roux sauce them add diced checken but i only ever do a pasty top not whole pie x

1 small ]chicken , roasted
25g butter
2 bunches of ]spring onions , finely sliced, dark green ends discarded
150g chestnut mushrooms or button mushrooms, quartered
150g shiitake mushrooms (or more chestnut mushrooms), halved
1 tbsp ]flour
250ml milk
142ml carton double cream
2 tbsp chopped ]tarragon leaves
500g pack of puff pastry (use butter puff or brush ordinary puff with a little butter before you use it)
1 ]egg , beaten
Method
[LIST=1]
[*]Heat the oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Tear the chicken fl esh from the bone in large chunks and discard the skin and bone. Heat the butter in a large pan and add the spring onions.
[*]Cook for a few minutes until softened. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes or so, until lightly coloured. Stir in the fl our, and cook for another minute, then gradually add the milk. Add the cream, simmer until the sauce thickens. Stir in the chicken and tarragon.
[*]Roll out the pastry to the thickness of a 20p and cut 4 circles big enough to cover 4 small pie dishes. Divide the chicken mixture between the dishes and brush the rims with beaten egg.
[*]Lift the pastry on to the pies, trimming off any excess. Press down and crimp the edges with a fork. Cut a couple of slits in the pastry to let the steam out and brush all over with the rest of the egg. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the pastry is crisp and golden brown.[/LIST]
if you don't want to roast a chicken, use raw breast fillets and cook slowly before adding spring onions. and if you want to make a larger pie, put it in a larger dish and don't cut the pastry so small.

I really find a chicken,sweetcorn, white sauce and seasoning great with gravy and veg. I have short crust pastry top and bottom though

Try using tin of campbells condensed chicken or mushroom soup - so much easier. Then add sweetcorn, peas, carrots etc.

tinkers;6516975

Try using tin of campbells condensed chicken or mushroom soup - so much … Try using tin of campbells condensed chicken or mushroom soup - so much easier. Then add sweetcorn, peas, carrots etc.

+1

But I'd add in extra chunks of chicken and the shrooms.

Yum yum

And they do a low fat version of the soup that is just as nice

Original Poster

wow thanks for the replies!

landofdan;6516934

havent got one myself but,have you tried the bbc recipe finder? i always … havent got one myself but,have you tried the bbc recipe finder? i always find that quite good.

i did and i just couldnt decide what was simplest or best!

Tinkytayls;6516946

I normally just make a simple while/roux sauce them add diced checken but … I normally just make a simple while/roux sauce them add diced checken but i only ever do a pasty top not whole pie x

thanks

PapaSmurf;6516957

1 small ]chicken , roasted 25g butter 2 bunches of ]spring onions , … 1 small ]chicken , roasted 25g butter 2 bunches of ]spring onions , finely sliced, dark green ends discarded 150g chestnut mushrooms or button mushrooms, quartered 150g shiitake mushrooms (or more chestnut mushrooms), halved 1 tbsp ]flour 250ml milk 142ml carton double cream 2 tbsp chopped ]tarragon leaves 500g pack of puff pastry (use butter puff or brush ordinary puff with a little butter before you use it) 1 ]egg , beaten Method[LIST=1][*]Heat the oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Tear the chicken fl esh from the bone in large chunks and discard the skin and bone. Heat the butter in a large pan and add the spring onions.[*]Cook for a few minutes until softened. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes or so, until lightly coloured. Stir in the fl our, and cook for another minute, then gradually add the milk. Add the cream, simmer until the sauce thickens. Stir in the chicken and tarragon.[*]Roll out the pastry to the thickness of a 20p and cut 4 circles big enough to cover 4 small pie dishes. Divide the chicken mixture between the dishes and brush the rims with beaten egg.[*]Lift the pastry on to the pies, trimming off any excess. Press down and crimp the edges with a fork. Cut a couple of slits in the pastry to let the steam out and brush all over with the rest of the egg. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the pastry is crisp and golden brown.[/LIST] if you don't want to roast a chicken, use raw breast fillets and cook slowly before adding spring onions. and if you want to make a larger pie, put it in a larger dish and don't cut the pastry so small.

this looks the easiest. thanks

miffy121;6516973

I really find a chicken,sweetcorn, white sauce and seasoning great with … I really find a chicken,sweetcorn, white sauce and seasoning great with gravy and veg. I have short crust pastry top and bottom though

yum im hungry!

tinkers;6516975

Try using tin of campbells condensed chicken or mushroom soup - so much … Try using tin of campbells condensed chicken or mushroom soup - so much easier. Then add sweetcorn, peas, carrots etc.

really?! wow.... might give that a go but will try make it from scratch first. thanks!
landofdan;6516987

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/chickenandmushroompi_89040.shtmlthis one seems quite easy.

thanks
ChipSticks;6517088

+1But I'd add in extra chunks of chicken and the shrooms.Yum yumAnd they … +1But I'd add in extra chunks of chicken and the shrooms.Yum yumAnd they do a low fat version of the soup that is just as nice

ok looks like the soup version is a hit! so will try that as well

u guys are all stars. tyhanks

Original Poster

pooooooooooo!!! ran out of rep. will rep u guys when i get some powers back! really appreciate it. thanks

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/jan2009/1/4/2E450D67-FD88-45A1-6B8D9050076FED90.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA21132
    2. First batch of original Xbox backwards compatible games11
    3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247657
    4. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 191 ***1328

See more discussions