Chicken run / coop - 2x2m?

Found 10th Apr
Hi,

looking fkr for advice on keeping chicken.

Weve eve got a piece of our garden approx 2mx2m and was wondering if it would be big enough to keep 2 or 3 chickens, would be looking at rescue battery chickens.

If so could anyone recommend anywhere that builds custom coops/runs so it can be made to measure for the area? Or one off the shelf for that size?

thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
4 Comments
From a quick Google search (why didn't you do this?)...
The minimum rule of thumb is about 2 to 3 square feet per chicken inside the chicken coop, and 8 to 10 square feet per chicken in an outside run. More square footage is better. Skimping on space requirements for a flock of chickens can cause stress, cannibalism, pecking, and sometimes even death.

So 6'x6' =36'sq. You need a coop for them to roost, so I would calculate 2 at most. Problem is the ground soon turns to dust or mud, depending on the weather, and with no extra space to rotate onto you are going to end up with a very smelly garden. You also have to dispose of the droppings - if you're restricted to such a small space for the chickens I'm assuming you don't have space for a dung heap or the space to put one far away from the house.
I'm not saying don't do it, just do it with your eyes open. We had six chickens in a 20'x20' run, and they destroyed it in a few weeks, so we were moving it every few weeks to give the soil a chance to recover. We had three runs in the end..
Edited by: "mrty" 10th Apr
Id say that you dont have enough space.
No, not if you want the chicken's to have any sort of quality life, also as others have said the ground will soon turn to mud (assuming it is a grass area you're referring to). You can keep the chicken's on a concrete area and add decent quality wood chippings to cover the area but it's still not ideal and will need regular cleaning and refreshing the chippings. If the area is grass if it rains I can guarantee you that within the week the ground will be trashed.
4 square metres is nowhere near big enough for 3 chickens, half the available space will be needed just for the coop.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants