Found 13th Jun 2009
my mother in law watches both my little girl and nephew on a monday however my nephew developed chickpox on thursday and now i am panicking incase my little one gets it. my mother in law was also planning to watch them both at my nephews house as he is not well, lol.......i know that a lot of people would prefer their children to get the chickpox when there young, but ellie is only 2 so i dont think she would understand why she shouldnt itch the spots ,, my only option would be to phone in sick which i really dont want to do and neither of us are actually sick
wot do you think

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
20 Comments

If your nephew has it now and your daughter is too get it, chances are if its going to come she will have it in her system already if they spend alot of time together.
Other children no matter how hard you try don't catch it. My son had it at 2 months old, off his brother who was 3 at the time.

Really is better younger over and done with, saves missing school etc when they're older.

I would just see how she goes. My little girl is 2 on the 16th and tbh im not sure if she has had them as her aunt had them and a few days after she had around 12 spots that lasted for a week and went . So you may be lucky x

Original Poster

superskilly;5485192

If your nephew has it now and your daughter is too get it, chances are if … If your nephew has it now and your daughter is too get it, chances are if its going to come she will have it in her system already if they spend alot of time together. Other children no matter how hard you try don't catch it. My son had it at 2 months old, off his brother who was 3 at the time.Really is better younger over and done with, saves missing school etc when they're older.

hes at school so she really only spent 2 hours with him last week. but i am thinking that if she goes to his house, its more than likely she will get it as he would have spread it about ( if you know what i mean ) lol .. in her grans house there is no infection so she would have to be in close contact. does that sound stuip. lol

Original Poster

Tinkytayls;5485198

I would just see how she goes. My little girl is 2 on the 16th and tbh im … I would just see how she goes. My little girl is 2 on the 16th and tbh im not sure if she has had them as her aunt had them and a few days after she had around 12 spots that lasted for a week and went . So you may be lucky x

was she really itchy,, i am panicking as she doesnt listen to me at the best of times never mind when i am trying to help her, lol

i thought it was contagious a couple of days before spots show so if they were together she might have already caught it bless

if your nephew developed it on thurs theres not alot you can do it doesnt just start It takes 10-21 days for the symptoms to show after you have come into contact with the virus. This is called the 'incubation period'

so just cross your fingers and hope she doesnt get it but on plus side it is safer to get them younger than when older

we had a scare when our son was just 2 months when in contact wth a carrier luckily he didnt get it

No but when i checked on line they looked just like them so who knowx

you may actually be ok if nephow developed rash on thurs as"You are infectious from about two days before the rash appears until roughly five days after. Therefore you or your child should stay at home until all of the blisters have fully crusted over, and this usually happens five to seven days after the first blister appears. After the last blister has burst and crusted over, you are no longer infectious."

but i wouldnt take time of work i know its hard leaving your kids when they are unwell but like you my mum looks after my little boy and if there is 1 person you would want them to be with apart from yourself t would be your own mum ,just remember aswell she's been there down it got the t shirt

4 of my children came out with it all on the same day. Christmas eve 2007 lol.
My little ones who were around 4 and 3 were fine with it. But my 9 yr old was really very poorly.
Hence the earlier the better.

Chicken Pox is contagious a couple of weeks before the spots appear I believe. Then they are contagious until the last spot scabs over.

Most siblings I know get chicken pox between 2 and 4 weeks after the previous sibling started getting the spots.

Some children are immune to chicken pox and never appear to get them.

Some children get a few spots and don't get full immunity and can get the chicken pox again at another time.

Usually the 2nd child gets the chicken pox far worse than the first one.

Bath the children in water with bicarbonate of soda in to help dry up the spots.

My little girl was 18 months when she got hers, 3 weeks after her brother had them. Both of them were very good when I told them not to pick, and I offered to rub (more like lightly press) their itch gently with a soft cloth
if necessary.

I hope this info helps... we have had alot of Chicken POx (an outbreak 2 years ago, and now the last month at our school).

Good luck

Original Poster

thank you for all you replies - hopefully i am worrying for nothing and she wont get them lol

If it's going around, I'd say it's best to get it now before she starts school, whilst you can mildly control it and she doesn't have a cold or anything else which would make it worse, and before summer really kicks in (I think it would be worse feeling clammy, itchy and poorly in hot weather). I hope your Nephew feels better soon. I was sent to a chickenpox party by my mum so I caught it when I was young as she had it in her 30s and got it SO much worse than children do.

It might take a few weeks for them to breakout,as my eldest got it,and his sis never got them till about 2-3 weeks later,she caught them off him as she not been near any1 else with them.

hi there funnily enough my son came down with chicken pox yesterday!!! i looked on the net about it last night and it said he was contagious 2 days before anyway and until the spots all have scabs on them. so, i'm expecting my 4 year old to come out with them in 2-3 weeks on one i read you olny have to be around the person for 10-15 mins to catch is as its airbourne
funny thing is I don't even know of any of his friends with it he just seems to have them
good luck though i'm happy that mine has got it because hes now 7 and never cought them before when all his cousins had them and his schol mates. don't forget calamine lotion also piriton helps with the itching also makes them drowsey!

Ive never had ChickenPox neither have my children. We must have some immunity or something! LOL
weve all been around people with the pox etc but never actually caught it!
Hope i dont get it now as an adult, supposed to be horrendous!

I would say let them get it now rather than later.
I was 34 when I got it and I had spots in places I didn't even know I had! I sneezed and they were falling out of my nose!!!
It is not nice when you are older and I took my niece to her friends who had it to make sure she had it early as it doesnt seem to affect them as much.
Sounds awful but better now than much later.
I hope they don't suffer too much and good luck x:thumbsup:

Good Luck, hope your little one doesnt get it, my 5yr old got it under a year old and only had a few spots, yet my 6 nearly 7 yr old got it all over on his eye lids etc, but he just carried on as normal. I think it varies child to child, im hoping my 3yr old gets it over and done with soon, just need an outbreak somewhere lol

Original Poster

amcol;5487876

Good Luck, hope your little one doesnt get it, my 5yr old got it under a … Good Luck, hope your little one doesnt get it, my 5yr old got it under a year old and only had a few spots, yet my 6 nearly 7 yr old got it all over on his eye lids etc, but he just carried on as normal. I think it varies child to child, im hoping my 3yr old gets it over and done with soon, just need an outbreak somewhere lol

its defo about in glasgow if you fancy a visit lol

Banned

they are better for scarring if they get them when young, hence why most parents want their children to get them whilst little, i dont know of anyone who has scarring from having them really young, but know a fair few who all have scarring from getting them when they where older

my little man who is 3 has chicken pox at the moment. He was in contact with a little boy 3 days before that little boy developed the rash. Two weeks later, bang, there comes the rash. He's had the poxes for two weeks now. It isn't bad at all, a slight temperature and the rash. Mostly benadryl and calomine stopped him itching, but he did get one or two infected spots which needed antibiotics and its taken him a while to get over that.

I wouldn't be too worried if I were you. As you say, better for them to get it young rather than when they're older and the kiddies are infectious before the rash can be seen so he may already have been in contact with the virus.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 3 Spotify family places available33
    2. EA shuts down Visceral Games.68
    3. hotukdeals features in current edition of computer active magazine57
    4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread427914643
    5. What's you favourite 60s 70s 80s song ?983232

See more discussions