Expired

Child and pet friendly way of getting rid of slugs and snails from the garden

Found 2nd Jun 2013
My bedding plants are being destroyed within days of planting by these buggers. I've seen tubs of pellets in the shops for putting around the plants to deter the slugs, but they all state to keep kids and pets away. We have a 2 year old and a dog, so need to try a different method. Any tips or advice appreciated.
Community Updates
AskGarden
13 Comments
beer trap
Salt ? As im sure slugs/snails cant cross a line of salt without melting.
Edited by: "Simba92" 2nd Jun 2013
+1 to the beer trap
crushed egg shells
There are organic slug pellets available that are child and pet safe. They're based on ferric phosphate rather than metaldehyde. I've been using them successfully for years. Which? magazine tested them against traditional metaldehyde pellets and found they work just as well. The brand I buy is Growing Success Advenced Slug Killer because Wilkinson sell them really cheaply but there are other brands.
+ 1 for the crushed egg shells
Gun turrets mounted behind the petunias
copper strips
crushed egg shells, beer trap and salt, a friend has used egg shell method, Ive used beer trap and salt, all 3 work well.
hate these b*******y slugs found cream one crawling kitchen wall last night !!!
hey i get them in kitchen too ADVICE NEEDED TOO
ceres

There are organic slug pellets available that are child and pet safe. … There are organic slug pellets available that are child and pet safe. They're based on ferric phosphate rather than metaldehyde. I've been using them successfully for years. Which? magazine tested them against traditional metaldehyde pellets and found they work just as well. The brand I buy is Growing Success Advenced Slug Killer because Wilkinson sell them really cheaply but there are other brands.

HOW MUCH/ whats the name some times i end up having them every day and 2-3 in kitchen,
sofiasar

HOW MUCH/ whats the name some times i end up having them every day and … HOW MUCH/ whats the name some times i end up having them every day and 2-3 in kitchen,

This. Can't find it on the Wilko website but it may be available instore and cheaper than the B&Q price.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants