Child making google play purchase! Help!!

Found 14th Feb 2016
Please help! My six year old has spent £84 on a game called subway surfers on google play! I was checking my email a few hours ago and saw two paypal payment emails , l am so so gutted as money is tight atm amd just cannot afford this ! How do l stamd with this? Is it just tough poo or is there any way i can get my money back. Kiloo is the name of the game provider? My oh says to call the bank but dont know what they will do and there is no option to cancel on paypal as transaction is showing as completed. Any advise gladly received. This is just the final straw to a really crap few days. ELISE
Community Updates
27 Comments
I'm afraid the money is gone. Why has your 6yo got access to your PayPal anyway? Don't you need a password before any purchase on Google?
Whatever you do, I'd advise that you ensure that no (further) use is made of the purchased content for now, and get a password set up on your device to prevent further such purchases

This is the 'official' guidance that's relevant here: https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/2851610?hl=en-GB

Step 2: Check with your family and friends
If you don't recognize a Google Play transaction, check with your family and friends to see if:

They made the purchase, or
A child may have played a game that resulted in accidental charges
If you find out the charge was unauthorized and accidental but not an act of fraud, contact our support team for further help.

Tip: To help prevent unauthorized charges, learn how to use password protection on your device.

Edited by: "Illusionary" 14th Feb 2016
Worth trying to contact google play customer services, PayPal and the game devs. Hopefully Google play wil be able to reverse it for you. I have had purchases reversed though not for this amount from Google play. worth a shot
Not sure how it works on google play but on iPhone you contact apple and they usually give a refund. Otherwise you might raise a complaint with paypal?
contact Google play, explain the situation. but if they don't refund all. go to PayPal resolution centre and dispute it. usually Google play will ban your Google play account and u will get refund. but worth the money tbh.
that's what you get for not requiring a password for purchases, the default is to have it on, so you must have switched if off at some point
Original Poster
Absolute gutted, i could have handled £10/20 but over £80! Anyone familer with kiloo? And their policy on refunds as i have seen on some sites people saying they got the money back. Just clutching at straws now

Elise211

Absolute gutted, i could have handled £10/20 but over £80! Anyone familer … Absolute gutted, i could have handled £10/20 but over £80! Anyone familer with kiloo? And their policy on refunds as i have seen on some sites people saying they got the money back. Just clutching at straws now

do what asbs said and set up another account ?

Report unauthorized charges
https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/2851610?hl=en-GB

contact paypal

and thank your lucks stars it wasnt for £2500

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-2567912/How-did-Google-let-son-run-2-500-bill-game.html

also some reading to keep your account secure

androidcentral.com/goo…ght
Edited by: "andybriggs03" 14th Feb 2016
Original Poster
According to paypal ' a child or family member making the transaction is not classed as unorthorised' so thats paypal out the question for possible help. Cant seem to find definite answer. As last poster said I must just think it could have been a whole lot worse!
Elise211

According to paypal ' a child or family member making the transaction is … According to paypal ' a child or family member making the transaction is not classed as unorthorised' so thats paypal out the question for possible help. Cant seem to find definite answer. As last poster said I must just think it could have been a whole lot worse!

As above, your first thing to try should be Google Play support, available from 8am tomorrow.
Original Poster
Thank you l have actually emailed them the situation and hope someone nice helps me out. Just upsetting to think thats my grocerie shopping down the drain

Original Poster
Yer there is. I cant see getting a refund but have a small bit of hope. Just glad I did check my email today or there could have been more spent tommorow arrghhh!
You need to get the refund from either PayPal or Google Play. In my experience a similar situation with Apple resulted in an almost immediate refund. Then please ensure every Google play purchase requires a password in future and there's no period after making a purchase that you can make subsequent purchases without reauthorising payment. The apple default used to be 15 minutes which is how I got "done".
Never link any bank cards to Google pay etc. By gift cards instead and use them.
You don't have to add payment details to google play. I set up a separate account for my kids one, no card details entered. Just created a gmail account.
diamondnine

Never link any bank cards to Google pay etc. By gift cards instead and … Never link any bank cards to Google pay etc. By gift cards instead and use them.

​That's a great idea thanks.

My 2 children's tablets both have my Google Play account setup on them on my login so we can all share games and have always been paranoid on purchases even though I've blocked the Play store from their login and also have to have the password on EVERY purchase.

I will be deleting my card from Google in future and like you say will just be buying the odd gift card from the supermarkets if needed.
diamondnine

Never link any bank cards to Google pay etc. By gift cards instead and … Never link any bank cards to Google pay etc. By gift cards instead and use them.

​That's a great idea thanks.

My 2 children's tablets both have my Google Play account setup on them on my login so we can all share games and have always been paranoid on purchases even though I've blocked the Play store from their login and also have to have the password on EVERY purchase.

I will be deleting my card from Google in future and like you say will just be buying the odd gift card from the supermarkets if needed.
you will get it back, i do it all the time haha
Serves you right for giving a 6 year old your phone. Too many parents think they can keep their kids quiet via apps and ipads
illzo

Serves you right for giving a 6 year old your phone. Too many parents … Serves you right for giving a 6 year old your phone. Too many parents think they can keep their kids quiet via apps and ipads

thats like say you should'nt take your kids to zoo's because 100 years ago they was not around and safe, times change and kids at the age of 3 are able to navigate and organize on a tablet whereas before they would still be struggling to talk.. most apps for kids are educational aswell, aslong as the parent monitors what there doing there is nothing wrong with a new generation of smarter kids who are already learning the world there going into (TECHNOLOGY), just my opinion, not saying its better then yours so don't bite back at me
Original Poster
Thank you for the HELPFUL answers. Im delighted to say after soeaking to a lovely lady at google she has refunded me the full amount . Just soooo relieved!
illzo

Serves you right for giving a 6 year old your phone. Too many parents … Serves you right for giving a 6 year old your phone. Too many parents think they can keep their kids quiet via apps and ipads

bore off. why would you deny your own child access to a device that has almost unlimited (especially compared to what we had when we grew up) access to educational, entertainment, communication and knowledge tools that used right could very much enrich their development.
Banned
Elise211

Thank you for the HELPFUL answers. Im delighted to say after soeaking to … Thank you for the HELPFUL answers. Im delighted to say after soeaking to a lovely lady at google she has refunded me the full amount . Just soooo relieved!

Lucky you. One of our kids purchased £45 worth of xbox games and he was 8 years old.

They are so clever about IT nowadays so I guess its up to us to ensure we remove all payment methods lol
whelan189

thats like say you should'nt take your kids to zoo's because 100 years … thats like say you should'nt take your kids to zoo's because 100 years ago they was not around and safe, times change and kids at the age of 3 are able to navigate and organize on a tablet whereas before they would still be struggling to talk.. most apps for kids are educational aswell, aslong as the parent monitors what there doing there is nothing wrong with a new generation of smarter kids who are already learning the world there going into (TECHNOLOGY), just my opinion, not saying its better then yours so don't bite back at me

Only difference is i have an education in sociology and psychology and many scholars have published papers outlining how technology disrupts child's play ultimately resulting in radically disrupting their development. This results in a plethora of potential mental illnesses as well as being socially inept. Not every case though you will notice how those lower on the social ladder tend to plant ipads in their toddlers arms to 'shut them up'.
DennisG

bore off. why would you deny your own child access to a device that has … bore off. why would you deny your own child access to a device that has almost unlimited (especially compared to what we had when we grew up) access to educational, entertainment, communication and knowledge tools that used right could very much enrich their development.

Yeah because subway surfer is a tool for ultimate enlightenment. I'm sorry that o-levels were unable to provide you with a sufficient education. See my above comment.
illzo

Only difference is i have an education in sociology and psychology and … Only difference is i have an education in sociology and psychology and many scholars have published papers outlining how technology disrupts child's play ultimately resulting in radically disrupting their development. This results in a plethora of potential mental illnesses as well as being socially inept. Not every case though you will notice how those lower on the social ladder tend to plant ipads in their toddlers arms to 'shut them up'.

​You're new here aren't you? You'll make lots of friends I'm sure.
Elise211

Thank you for the HELPFUL answers. Im delighted to say after soeaking to … Thank you for the HELPFUL answers. Im delighted to say after soeaking to a lovely lady at google she has refunded me the full amount . Just soooo relieved!

good to hear

now make sure you change your password and set Google Play Store to require password for each transaction!

EliTom
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants