Child safe cocktail sticks for party?

Found 29th Sep 2012
As title really, doing my kids party food and we want cheese and pineapple on sticks, but they are young kids so don't want them poking eyes out, is there an alternative to the sharp cocktail sticks?!
Community Updates
Misc
31 Comments
I'm sure you can get plastic ones - i'd look on ebay, however...

Did you have cocktail sticks in your cheese and pineapple as a child?
Did you poke your eye out with them?

I wouldn't have an issue with putting them on a table for my kids parties.
if they are too young to be left unsupervised with cocktail sticks, then do u REALLY think they need cheese and pineapple on a stick.

hula hoops and sandwiches FTW

magicbeans

if they are too young to be left unsupervised with cocktail sticks, then … if they are too young to be left unsupervised with cocktail sticks, then do u REALLY think they need cheese and pineapple on a stick.hula hoops and sandwiches FTW

Well they are around 4, I wouldn't have a problem with my kids having them, I just worry about others who haven't been educated!!
When I was a kid I played with lots of sticks & I had a pen knife & was allowed to play with the tools in the shed.

Total amount of times I stabbed myself with a sharp object when I was under 10?

Zero.

I'm an adult now, total times I've stabbed myself with a sharp object?

Many, just many.
Ritz cracker, piece of pineapple, piece of cheese on it.

No need for the stick.. Problem solves.

Simple.. Right back to the worlds finantial crisis.

Never knew we hada problem with finants.
You could always snip the sharp bits off the ends after you've made it.
Chiptivo

Ritz cracker, piece of pineapple, piece of cheese on it.No need for the … Ritz cracker, piece of pineapple, piece of cheese on it.No need for the stick.. Problem solves.Simple.. Right back to the worlds finantial crisis.

Speaks sense occasionally
http://www1.american.edu/ted/images4/cigar.gif
Did a big batch for my daughters birthday yesterday with no accidents. In my attempts to balance out all the sugary party rings etc I added a grape to cover the point and was told by one little girl they were the best cheese and pineapple with grape on top they had ever had. Very cute!
If you are that paranoid, don't use them.

Do not use plastic, as they are more dangerous, the wood ones do not splinter easily and you can always cut the sharp tips off, so you have a blunt cocktail stick

^^Don't smoke either or the parents will report you
I was going to suggest the thin straws that the schools use for milk if you can find them, I've never seen them in the shops though.
OperateOnMe

If you are that paranoid, don't use them.Do not use plastic, as they are … If you are that paranoid, don't use them.Do not use plastic, as they are more dangerous, the wood ones do not splinter easily and you can always cut the sharp tips off, so you have a blunt cocktail stick^^Don't smoke either or the parents will report you

I'm surprised there isn't something more safe for kids, looking on ebay they have some swords but I think they are worse!
wow is this a joke?... maybe just don't use cocktail sticks and put the cheese and pineapple on a plate hahah
Don't forget to strap them onto the chair just in case one of them fails off

Check all the bushes in a 2 mile radios for pedophiles

Hand out ear protection in case a balloon gets burst

And ban the use of cameras

Are you doing a full risk assessment??

I say let 'em have the cocktail sticks - if someone loses an eye, well it'll be lesson learnt!
slamdunkin

Don't forget to strap them onto the chair just in case one of them fails … Don't forget to strap them onto the chair just in case one of them fails offCheck all the bushes in a 2 mile radios for pedophilesHand out ear protection in case a balloon gets burstAnd ban the use of cameras

Burst balloons are also a severe choking hazard so make sure you assign somebody to rush over to each piece of balloon and quickly wisk it away before it gets swallowed.

On a serious note though, we are doing a kids party for nursery and reception in November and as they are all 3-5 years old most parents would stick around, so plenty of supervision and look outs for accidents!
Here's an alternative to sharp cocktail sticks. No sharp ends anywhere.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1a/Racquetball_ball.svg/400px-Racquetball_ball.svg.png

The biggest danger to kids today is that they aren't exposed to any danger.
nicoleisapayne

Did a big batch for my daughters birthday yesterday with no accidents. In … Did a big batch for my daughters birthday yesterday with no accidents. In my attempts to balance out all the sugary party rings etc I added a grape to cover the point and was told by one little girl they were the best cheese and pineapple with grape on top they had ever had. Very cute!

Not sure if serious???

Lets disguise the sharp point with a nice soft inviting grape. So the kid sticks the whole lot in his/hers mouth and spikes a hole in the soft pallet..

Jesus, it is a kids party, just leave the sticks out of it!!!
This thread is a wind-up, right?
pghstochaj

I guess instead of cocktail sticks they could always use discarded syringes
pghstochaj

I sincerely hope so!
Kids - surprisingly - have survival instincts albeit limited.
They aren't going to stab themselves to death with cocktail sticks
I prefer to keep my children in my testicles, forever in the sperm state, much safer than the outside world.
spaceinvader

I prefer to keep my children in my testicles, forever in the sperm state, … I prefer to keep my children in my testicles, forever in the sperm state, much safer than the outside world.

I bet you would protect them there though
Cocktail sticks kill more people than lightning.

Taken from here:

SirI was interested to read the Case Report of A chicken bone in the … SirI was interested to read the Case Report of A chicken bone in the rectum (Davies,1991). As stated in the article toothpicks are not an uncommon cause of perforationof the GI tract.The wanderlust of the ingested cocktail stick has been reported earlier as causingalarming complications and even death (Kasthuri & Savage, 1988). I describe afurther brief excursion of the 'travelling tooth pick' (Cockerill et al., 1983) whichhas now chanced upon a short cut from the digestive tract to the outside world,happily on this occasion, without causing serious injury.A 59-year-old uncomplaining resident of a community care unit was noted tohave a small inflamed swelling in the right anterior triangle of his neck whichwas thought to be a superficial infection. Three days after it was first noticed aforeign body appeared at the surface of the abscess. This was extracted by a nursewho found it to be the tip of an 8cm wooden cocktail stick. This had been accidentallyswallowed with a sausage five days previously. Following its removal allinflammation settled and there were no complications.Swallowing of cocktail sticks frequently occurs because of hurried consumptionof food especially when taken with alcohol. The demented and those with diminishedpalatal sensation due to denture wearing are at greater risk. Everyoneshould be made aware of the potential dangers of these unnecessary additions tofood, and especially those concerned with the preparation of food in institutions.If sticks are really necessary they should be easily visible to the consumer, thestandard wooden cocktail stick is all too easily disguised.I. G. KENDALL

dga knows all about swallowing indigestibles
dga

Forever a sperm

http://imageshack.us/a/img337/5559/foreverasperm.png
dga

You make it sound filthy!

I do try
gotta be careful with kids, even paper is dangerous:

http://www.memorylast.net/content/graphics/animated-gifs/twilight-papercut.gif

tell u what's safe.....

tacos!
http://www.memorylast.net/content/graphics/animated-gifs/taco.gif