Childcare Voucher Scheme

Posted 17th Dec 2019
Hi

Is anyone on the Childcare voucher scheme (Salary Sacrifice) but opted to pay zero each month?

If so, does it fully terminate if you pay zero each month and therefore can’t activate again because the Government no longer provide this service?
OR is it a thing that you can rejoin so long as it’s within 12 months etc, someone else said that but I’m not convinced!?

I would like to take advantage of Tax Free Childcare but also have this voucher scheme still available to me in case it works out better in future!
Community Updates
Ask
5 Comments
I'm on the childcare voucher scheme.

I think you're right that if you set it to zero it will cancel, but I believe you can restart it again within 12 months (but PLEASE double check)

As I have paid too much into mine, I've decided to make payments of £1 to keep it active.

I don't think you can be in both schemes, so you may have to choose which is better for you - when I looked at my circumstances when the new scheme came out I was still better off on the childcare vouchers, as my daughter is now at school and don't have to worry about childcare neither scheme is beneficial to me, but opted to keep the childcare voucher scheme active just in case.
As Bob mentions, you can't have both, when you sign up you have to state whether you have been a member of a voucher scheme and send evidence that you have closed it, if you ignore they simply cancel/put your tax free account on hold.

There are calculators on the .gov website here as part of the process in signing up so you can check if you will be better or worse off - gov.uk/get…are
Bingohomer17/12/2019 07:50

As Bob mentions, you can't have both, when you sign up you have to state …As Bob mentions, you can't have both, when you sign up you have to state whether you have been a member of a voucher scheme and send evidence that you have closed it, if you ignore they simply cancel/put your tax free account on hold.There are calculators on the .gov website here as part of the process in signing up so you can check if you will be better or worse off - https://www.gov.uk/get-tax-free-childcare

Yes that’s why I want to know whether I can ‘cancel’ n show proof via payslip and then every once in 12 months contribute so the voucher scheme stays active.
The voucher scheme will come into good use for me in future. As for now in the next year or so tax free childcare works out better!

It’s bloody expensive childcare!!!!
ruheluddin8617/12/2019 19:04

Yes that’s why I want to know whether I can ‘cancel’ n show proof via paysl …Yes that’s why I want to know whether I can ‘cancel’ n show proof via payslip and then every once in 12 months contribute so the voucher scheme stays active. The voucher scheme will come into good use for me in future. As for now in the next year or so tax free childcare works out better! It’s bloody expensive childcare!!!!

Got a feeling you can't do that, I guess the idea is that they want everyone to stop the voucher scheme and go onto tax free childcare.

Personally I would look at the larger picture and see what works for you long term, and not just for the short term.

You should now have the benefit of 30 free hours of childcare at 3 year olds, so that helps - I found that a bit of a con too, not as good as it sounds.
Bob2460117/12/2019 20:44

Got a feeling you can't do that, I guess the idea is that they want …Got a feeling you can't do that, I guess the idea is that they want everyone to stop the voucher scheme and go onto tax free childcare.Personally I would look at the larger picture and see what works for you long term, and not just for the short term.You should now have the benefit of 30 free hours of childcare at 3 year olds, so that helps - I found that a bit of a con too, not as good as it sounds.

Yes will do thanks.
I know, it’s only 3 full days in fact!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions