Groups

Childhood obesity - who is to blame?

So the subject of obesity came up in another thread relating to advertising, but there's shocking figures out there about childhood obesity. It's a massive strain on the NHS and it's only getting bigger (puns unintended) so how do we stop it?

87 Comments

Original Poster

Obesity is rising among children both in their first and last years at primary school, according to the latest annual measurements of children’s body mass index (BMI) in England.
    Overall, 9.3% of four- and five-year-olds in primary reception class in England in 2015-16 were classed as obese, up from 9.1% the previous year, according to the national child measurement programme (NCMP).

The number of obese 10- and 11-year-olds in their last primary school year also rose from 19.1% to 19.8% last year – nearly one in five.

theguardian.com/soc…als

Children and Parents.

xbox/ps4 mixed with lots of energy drinks.

parents 100% are to blame !!

Banned

Parents.

Is it Brexit?

Do I win the prize

Banned

Trump and Brexit are to be blamed for it!

Original Poster

davewave

Children and Parents.

Hard to blame the children but I do think the parents are to blame.

So how do we go about changing this situation?
    Treboeth

Is it Brexit?Do I win the prize

Actually Brexit would increase the cost of food, so maybe you've found a benefit of it X)

davewave

Children and Parents.

Treboeth

You are Tony Bliar(sic) and I claim my £5

davewave

Children and Parents.

Treboeth

which children, which parents?
    They aren't all exact clones so it depends on which parents and children you are talking about.
    Brexit probably will be blamed, as per usual, or the nine foot lizards and Illuminati.

Original Poster

davewave

which children, which parents? They aren't all exact clones so it depends … which children, which parents? They aren't all exact clones so it depends on which parents and children you are talking about.Brexit probably will be blamed, as per usual, or the nine foot lizards and Illuminati.

A very good point there Dave but surely if there's an obesity epidemic and one in five 11 year olds is obese, then isn't there a case of it being a cultural issue?

A child can only be influenced by the environment created for them. Sit them infront of a TV and watch fast food ads and they will ask for fast food. Feed them burgers and they will expect burgers. Not being active enough by being too console or computer focused won't help them health wise either.

When we were having our first everyone asked 'what clothes can I get'... and every Christmas/birthday my response was 'Can you buy toys/something to touch or use in some way'. I think interaction is key for promoting an active life, spacial awareness and general health. Simply throwing a games console at a child is asking for trouble, nothing wrong with a bit of Fifa but it is if the child won't go out and kick a ball around a muddy park at the first opportunity!!

Parents are key, but to be fair, school doesn't help a jot.
    My daughter is in reception class. Prior to this, she'd been at home, eating home-cooked meals (mainly organic - blame my wife for that one) and spending her days with a parent who took her to parks/play centres/the great outdoors.
    Fast forward to her first year in school - first time she'd been introduced to margarine and white bread. She now has this most days with what I shall politely call re-formed ham. Because 'student choice' is key (she's four) she's allowed to choose this every day, despite my wishes, and supplement it with chips and a chocolate brownie. The only way around this is to send a packed lunch which opens up a whole can of social problems.
    On top of this, she spends seven hours in a small classroom with thirty other kids - when I asked her what she did yesterday afternoon, she said the teacher let them watch Alvin and the Chipmunks the movie oO. When she comes home, she's generally too tired to then do anything athletic. I've definitely noticed her put a little weight on since starting school, but it's hard to correct that when you have to compensate for a lunch full of empty calories.
    Edited by: "fivegoldstars" 16th Nov 2016

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

A very good point there Dave but surely if there's an obesity epidemic … A very good point there Dave but surely if there's an obesity epidemic and one in five 11 year olds is obese, then isn't there a case of it being a cultural issue?

Potentially, how many reasons are there besides a cultural fudge - people buy rubbish food and feed themselves or their children despite it being obvious which foods are bad and which are healthy to both children and parents.

Banned

you are only as fat as you feel.

Banned

you are only as fat as you feel.

Banned

davewave

Children and Parents.

Treboeth

Most of the food people eat in UK is junk so that's not really a negative aspect, I'd say. I rarely eat fast-food but when I do, it's a sandwich at Subway in every couple of months.

just use brute force
    http://i.imgur.com/kl8C7VQ.gif
    nothing else works these days X)

Cut benefits

Homework, Kids are so fat these days because they don't go out anymore because they've got too much homework.!

Original Poster

My personal view is that we're at a point now where the youngest generation of obese kids are following in two, maybe three generations where obesity has grown.

Therefore we have a funadamental knowledge problem when it comes to diet, exercise and food preparation. Clearly people want to be healthy but they lack either the knowledge or willpower to follow through.

So I think we need a massive reeducation program regarding healthy eating. Maybe we need in-work seminars, something government provided or maybe even something done through the schools involving parents and kids.

That might sound unworkable, so we go the other way - Punitive measures for obesity. Sounds harsh but what else is there? It could be a tax measure based on consumption, a junk food tax or something else.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2s8kdft.jpg

supermod

* If members are having difficulty logging into their original id please use the * contact link and the Admin team can assist further.
    hotukdeals.com/con…act

Edited by: "sigma" 16th Nov 2016

Obesity epidemic in children is caused by retards that believe the BMI applies to children. Some kids do have eating disorders but it's not as common as you think.

https://downsizeyourmeal.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/fat-kid-at-mcdonalds.jpg
    neither my kids nor my nephews and nieces have been to McDonalds - teach kids restraint, and if they don't like it - so what!

davewave

neither my kids nor my nephews and nieces have been to McDonalds - teach … neither my kids nor my nephews and nieces have been to McDonalds - teach kids restraint, and if they don't like it - so what!

​Burger king or KFC closer ?

ironic that many "good deals" posted here, are for rubbish snacks empty calories crisps fizzy pop etc. we are all to blame allowing so much advertising and being conned by it kids and adults

Parents....... every time.

parents

Probably doesn't help when mum and dad are fat (_;)

scottishagate

ironic that many "good deals" posted here, are for rubbish snacks empty … ironic that many "good deals" posted here, are for rubbish snacks empty calories crisps fizzy pop etc. we are all to blame allowing so much advertising and being conned by it kids and adults

only if you buy it and allow your kids to eat/drink it

Original Poster

I think that if we're serious about fixing this issue then we need to give departments like social services a greater remit to intervene. I don't know if I'd class it as child abuse but if your child is obese before they've left primary school then isn't that setting them up for a lifetime of health issues at the very least?

Probably the same reason why Scottish/Sunderland/Newcastle are people more inclined to become alcoholics than the rest of the UK - choice!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/06/12/11/2990142F00000578-0-image-a-9_1434104190014.jpg

davewave

Probably the same reason why Scottish/Sunderland/Newcastle are people … Probably the same reason why Scottish/Sunderland/Newcastle are people more inclined to become alcoholics than the rest of the UK - choice!

I resent that, it is only because we brew\distil better drinks

Oneday77

Oneday77

nothing wrong with it unless you expect others to feel happy paying for the consequences

davewave

nothing wrong with it unless you expect others to feel happy paying for … nothing wrong with it unless you expect others to feel happy paying for the consequences

Sorry did you want serious reply.
    They do say it is Grim up North, that is maybe where the choice bit comes into it.
    Though the map is a little unfair as grouping Scotland in to 1 area, is very stereotypical. (not entering into any geographical\political debates on that bit). The central belt would probably be eye blinding red, while the rest a few shades lighter.

Oneday77

Sorry did you want serious reply.They do say it is Grim up North, that is … Sorry did you want serious reply.They do say it is Grim up North, that is maybe where the choice bit comes into it.Though the map is a little unfair as grouping Scotland in to 1 area, is very stereotypical. (not entering into any geographical\political debates on that bit). The central belt would probably be eye blinding red, while the rest a few shades lighter.

​There's 14% difference between top and bottom of the league. Probably a variance in the student population.

​My general opinion.... I think the route cause is inactivity.

A lot of it is down to the fact that parents are afraid to let their younger children out these days for safety reasons.

They don't go running round after school, playing football, tig etc

At the risk of sounding old, the last two generations of children, (30 years old and below) , have not had the freedom of the generations before them.

I used to go out for hours on end.

I don't know many (if any tbh) young children who are allowed to do so these days.

Parents, they are also responsible for fat adults.

Parents are deffo responsible, but its also a lack of education.

All my kids have all been at their normal weights all their lives except for my now 12 year old,

He was fine until he turned 5-6 then started to gain weight, until he was 10 was pretty overweight, had to buy clothes in sizes 2 years above his age, and we gradually learned he had massive problems with his leg bones and as such is having some pretty serious major surgery on his legs..

So we always assumed because he was less active he couldnt loss weight! that was our lazy parenting excuse.. but also we were not educated to what the real problem was.

Now when I saw that it was affecting him emotionally as well as prob contributing to his pains in his legs we as a family had to do something, we started to look into what we were eating the contents especially the sugar or carb content, we made our kids aware of this, and we cut out lots of things like fizzy drinks and chocolates, sweets, but also stopped buying takeaways, convenience meals and started to put the slow cooker to use full time..

By doing this and simply going for a walk on the beach or coastal paths 1-2 times a week, my boy has lost all of his excess weight in less than 12 months and now is back in his own sized clothes, he still has a little more to go to be considered ideal weight, but he is doing it.. But what's got me is not just that he lost the weight, but he really looks at food in shops and checks the contents and levels.. he wont buy anything he considers bad, and he is pretty strict with it too, an example to other day he wanted a drink in the supermarket, he wont even entertain fizzy drinks, but looked at a milkshake that was reduced sugar and fresh orange, but both of these were still high in sugar content so he picked a flavoured water drink that was very low in sugar.

I said it was OK to have the milkshake as a treat but he was adamant he was happy with the water, it makes me proud when he can make a conscious choice for the better, he has never been a fruit and veg kid he hates them, but we work around that, we eat foods that we prepare only now, a takeaway of McDonalds is a monthly treat if that. and if we can we try to spend that money on a meal out which again we can all make an informed decision instead of pizza or kebabs.

My sons weight gain was lack of education from us the parents, but we didnt actively seek it until it was an issue, many people will never bother, but we can now say we did eventually do the right thing for him. and it makes me happy to see him wearing fitted clothes for his age with him not feeling embarrassed or socially awkward.

Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Which Mobile Network?22
      2. How to cancel Sky subscription44
      3. Freesat - Dave1118
      4. Easyjet - book now or wait?1017

See more discussions