Children next door keep climbing the fence and it is about to to fall now!!!

Found 4th Jun 2012
It is a newly build extension in 2005 and now the fence is about to fall because they keep climbing it to get their ball back from our garden. Also they have a swing which they put next to the fence and hit it with REAL bang. I never been in such situation and don't know what to say or do. I think fence is mine as smooth surface is away from me, but not sure about the deeds. Any idea where I stand.
Community Updates
66 Comments
Get a Big dog
Have you tried speaking to your neighbours?
Paint the top of the fence with sticky tar.. that will stop them climbing over it.
Razor Wire & Vandal Grease + A Mosquito.
dig a large hole and place a cross at the top end of it, they will never enter your garden again
Pigeon spikes on the top? Barbed wire? Anti-theft paint? Little brats...
realblender

Why not just provide access so that the boy can fetch his ball without … Why not just provide access so that the boy can fetch his ball without troubling your fence?

Or leave your back door open so he can get a snack at the same time
realblender

Yeah. It use to be like that in the old days.

Problem is the kid next door is 35 and is not interested in snacks
guv

Have you tried speaking to your neighbours?

Get into the 90's Guv. Current protocol dictates a De-friending on Facebook, a furious rant on twitter and a thread on an online shopping forum.
realblender

Why not just provide access so that the boy can fetch his ball without … Why not just provide access so that the boy can fetch his ball without troubling your fence?

I have no problem giving the ball back if they ask for it. Fence is there how do I give access? I like the tar on the top idea really.
We have a similar issue, amongst others, with our typically chav single mum next door neighbour and her seven kids.

My advice is to move.

The local council will not really be interested and will just suggest you get a solicitor involved, and you'll probably get laughed out of court.

Unless your neighbours are approachable?
realblender

Yeah. It use to be like that in the old days.

Ah the good old days.

[img]t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTkD4Rp9hFnB6MOEGCh4zrYZQsX2YGgqMmXwaw93dyt2y6Eh-X1lCSW_jV[/img]
bless em

http://gifs.gifbin.com/032012/1331747683_jumping_over_fence_fail.gif
realblender

My neighbour use to puncture our balls with a knife and throw it back … My neighbour use to puncture our balls with a knife and throw it back over the fence. We were only 8 years old. Neighbour is dead now.

what you mean is dead now? was you waiting all these years to get your revenge?
hornblowerracing

The local council will not really be interested and will just suggest you … The local council will not really be interested and will just suggest you get a solicitor involved, and you'll probably get laughed out of court.?

The repair of fence will be cheaper than a solicitor I think (have no idea about coast for either), Can I ask for contribution? I moved in 1 year ago, but I think 7 years is a short time for a fence really. Or could this be covered by builders guaranty for 10 years?
realblender

I have no problem giving the ball back Please try and resolve this by … I have no problem giving the ball back Please try and resolve this by talking to them. I suggest you buy some ice-cream.

You want me to poison them!!
If it was me i'd knock on next door and express "concern" that as their kids are climbing over the fence and it's now become unstable, that they might be in danger of getting hurt. Vandal grease is good too, the parents will soon stop them climbing if they keep having to fork out for clothes.
baffledsalmon

Pigeon spikes on the top? Barbed wire? Anti-theft paint? Little brats...

Carpet gripper on the top, much cheaper and much easier to fit/appl
Also less noticeable until too late. hehehe..

Edited by: "crebera" 4th Jun 2012
realblender

My neighbour use to puncture our balls with a knife and throw it back … My neighbour use to puncture our balls with a knife and throw it back over the fence. We were only 8 years old. Neighbour is dead now.

Murdering your neighbour because he burst you ball is a bit harsh imo.
crebera

Carpet gripper on the top, much cheaper and much easier to fit/applAlso … Carpet gripper on the top, much cheaper and much easier to fit/applAlso less noticeable until too late. hehehe..

Your a sick individual if you would like children to cut their little hands to shreds just because they wanted to retrieve a ball.
slamdunkin

Your a sick individual if you would like children to cut their little … Your a sick individual if you would like children to cut their little hands to shreds just because they wanted to retrieve a ball.

I had it done to me when I was younger. Never went into that garden again... Wonder why?
slamdunkin

Your a sick individual if you would like children to cut their little … Your a sick individual if you would like children to cut their little hands to shreds just because they wanted to retrieve a ball.

Also WHY should OP be harrased as well as out of pocket for repairs when they own their property? Do you think they want to pay a mortgage for someone else's brats to destroy their "castle"
Edited by: "crebera" 4th Jun 2012
How do you know these children are brats, could it not be that they are just a little impetuous like most children are.
Have a word with them, see what they say, if it does not go down well, come back for more advice.
slamdunkin

Agreed, kids will only do what their parents allow them to get away with, you can hardly punish a child for having received poor parenting. However parents may not be aware of this happening (hard to see how though plus if the swing hits it so hard they must surely know).

As for the tar/grease paint idea you must display appropriately sized warning signs (on both sides of the fence). I have a brand new full tin sat here as I couldn't be bothered to mess about with signs (it would ruin the fun, plus the need has stopped by speaking to the parents of the kids who was climbing it.)
What is wrong with just asking the kids not to climb the fence? If you don't shout and swear at them you should get a result.

Failing all else, as simplex once said:

simplex

This seems like a job for......

personally, if smooth finish is away from you id have thought that it was theirs.
why give the neighbour the 'good' side?

how high is the fence? if its low then access to garden probably won't stop anything as kids are stupid and will just jump over as quicker, they wont think about consequences.
but then you say swing hits it so it must be pretty high - surely in that case its faster for them to go around?
Dig a pond at your side of said fence panel wait for the ball to come over and get the video camera ready, bingo £250 from You've been framed! and the pond will have paid for itself
A problem I can see is that if there is tar or grease smeared on the top, it could just provide extra incentive for them to create a hole in the panel.

Sounds as if the problem is parent related. ie not interested in being a good neighbour
I can't believe that nobody has asked the question; why is it that you haven't taken the obvious step of speaking to your neighbour about it? If they are stroppy about it then is the time to start thinking about solicitors, deterrents etc but until you've spoken to them you don't even know if any of it will be necessary.
brilly

personally, if smooth finish is away from you id have thought that it was … personally, if smooth finish is away from you id have thought that it was theirs. why give the neighbour the 'good' side?

Traditionally the owner of a fence installs good side facing away from property. Not sure why as it seems daft but I suppose its for cosmetic appearances and to stop liability from injuries caused by rough side.
sbeard1

I can't believe that nobody has asked the question; why is it that you … I can't believe that nobody has asked the question; why is it that you haven't taken the obvious step of speaking to your neighbour about it?

You didn't read post 2 then?
realblender

WTF!? Surely you didn't? Over a ball?

OP, I think this problem is getting blown out of all proportion here. I'm sure if you just knock and and politely explain that the fence is getting on its last legs, and say that if the kids knock on, it's no problem and you will gladly throw the ball back over, that'll be the end of the problem.

(yes guv, I did read post 2 (and 33 maccy), I'm just reinforcing the common sense of it)

Think outside the box. Send all your neighbors an official looking notice of your inclusion on the sex offenders register, you can bet they will keep they're kids out of your garden then.
sbeard1

I can't believe that nobody has asked the question; why is it that you … I can't believe that nobody has asked the question; why is it that you haven't taken the obvious step of speaking to your neighbour about it? If they are stroppy about it then is the time to start thinking about solicitors, deterrents etc but until you've spoken to them you don't even know if any of it will be necessary.

Or post #33?
danmc

Think outside the box. Send all your neighbors an official looking notice … Think outside the box. Send all your neighbors an official looking notice of your inclusion on the sex offenders register, you can bet they will keep they're kids out of your garden then.

Great idea oO your fence will be safe but the rest of the neighbours will probably firebomb your home.
Edited by: "queenlush" 4th Jun 2012
queenlush

Great idea oO your fence will be safe but the rest of the neighbours will … Great idea oO your fence will be safe but the rest of the neighbours will probably firebomb your home.

One problem at a time dude, we can deal with that when it comes to it.
queenlush

Great idea oO your fence will be safe but the rest of the neighbours will … Great idea oO your fence will be safe but the rest of the neighbours will probably firebomb your home.

No heating bils as well. Win win
realblender

Doest feel that way when you are 13 years old.

I thought you said you were 8 at the time?
Or did you wait 5 years between ball busting and the dastardly deed?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants