Groups

Childrens xmas craft and baking thread

Looking for some xmas craft and baking ideas to do with my son age 3 over the festive season. Anyone have any nice and uncomplicated craft or baking ideas that they do with there littleones? Nice little homemade family gifts etc?

23 Comments

The Sainsburys mag has some good baking ones in like home made coconut ice and cheese star biscuits.

Gingerbread men?

In asda they have xmas craft stuff for £1.50 each..we got the santa xmas decorations..you can also make angels and other things to keep them busy!

Original Poster

nikkib123

The Sainsburys mag has some good baking ones in like home made coconut … The Sainsburys mag has some good baking ones in like home made coconut ice and cheese star biscuits.

Thanks nikki will get a mag next time im there

livingthelife07

Gingerbread men?

No one likes ginger so they may have to be shortbread men

mamamia7

In asda they have xmas craft stuff for £1.50 each..we got the santa xmas … In asda they have xmas craft stuff for £1.50 each..we got the santa xmas decorations..you can also make angels and other things to keep them busy!

Thanks hun , ive picked up a couple of those from homebargains

i normally buy some white card and cut some circles out of them..fold them up so your left with a triangle shape and let my son 'carefully' snip bits off the triangle..open it up and you have a snowflake, then my son either paints them or has glitter glue pens or sprinkly glitter. its easy and keeps him occupied for ages snipping different shapes from the egdes of the card.

Original Poster

katiekins

i normally buy some white card and cut some circles out of them..fold … i normally buy some white card and cut some circles out of them..fold them up so your left with a triangle shape and let my son 'carefully' snip bits off the triangle..open it up and you have a snowflake, then my son either paints them or has glitter glue pens or sprinkly glitter. its easy and keeps him occupied for ages snipping different shapes from the egdes of the card.

Ooh thanks hun , that sounds a great idea - the only thing we did last year is make mince pies coz he wasnt interested at all - this year hes v excited - an it looks like ots going to be a messy dec for me haha

My husband came up with the idea of doing gingerbread/shortbread people on xmas eve so out daughter can leave one of her own biscuits for santa!

Also Wilkinsons have kits for 98p. allsorts of stuff I've got the decoration set.
    We've also been out and collected pinecones to paint and glitter...they are in airing cupboard drying out!

I do reindeers using footprints for the face/head and then hand prints for the antlers. i do it every year with my 7yr and 3yr old. Each year the reindeers get bigger.

More details here

what about making some salt dough decorations for the tree-can be kept for years......

Original Poster

dmtuk

My husband came up with the idea of doing gingerbread/shortbread people … My husband came up with the idea of doing gingerbread/shortbread people on xmas eve so out daughter can leave one of her own biscuits for santa!Also Wilkinsons have kits for 98p. allsorts of stuff I've got the decoration set.We've also been out and collected pinecones to paint and glitter...they are in airing cupboard drying out!

I didnt think of pinecones, i remember doing them with my nan wen i was little - happy memories will deo be getting to the park weekend thankyou!!
    Gem_whl

I do reindeers using footprints for the face/head and then hand prints … I do reindeers using footprints for the face/head and then hand prints for the antlers. i do it every year with my 7yr and 3yr old. Each year the reindeers get bigger.More details here

I've never seen these before there fab

kt21

what about making some salt dough decorations for the tree-can be kept … what about making some salt dough decorations for the tree-can be kept for years......

Any ideas how to make he dough hun, that would be a great idea

How about popping some corn & making popcorn garlands for the Christmas tree? just like they did many years ago! X)

Original Poster

livingthelife07

How about popping some corn & making popcorn garlands for the Christmas … How about popping some corn & making popcorn garlands for the Christmas tree? just like they did many years ago! X)

Haha - it wouldnt make it to the tree with my popcorn monster

allfreecrafts.com/chr…tml

there is a recipe on here for m/w + other xmas ideas, I have used the oven before for salt dough, just don't roll it too thin!. Once you have dried and painted it cover in watered down pva glue or Marvin to give it a gloss and protection.

Have a look in your local craft shops and 'the works' there are often xmas packs and ideas there. other ideas can be found on the Hobbycraft website and docrafts.co.uk
    Edited by: "kt21" 24th Nov 2010

Im making cristmas wreaths, rag ones are very easy to do, or thi syear im doing a american hard gum one, i have an album on facebook full of ideas

if you have any pine trees in your area you could collect some pine cones

leave them to dry out and open, spray some of them silver/gold etc etc the other roll around in a bowl of pva glue, then into a bowl of glitter....dry

then tie on some sparkly string for some decorations

we made of these today and they turned out really good, much better than i thought they would

Edited by: "ilovepink" 24th Nov 2010

Rymans have christmas card decoration bits for 49p each. We made loads of cards kept us busy for hours.

Cut out christmas tree shapes, get them to decorate. Also salt dough stars. (2 cups flour, 1 cup salt, 1 cup water) knead. Roll out. Cut out star shape. Make a hole in top for string. bake for 30 mins on v low heat as if not will crack. Then paint yellow and add glitter.

great ideas

Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies guys - some great ideas to keep the lil man busy there. Will defo be doing the salt decorations, might try that this weekend so he can put some on are tree when its up

Im going to go get some pinecones today to dry out ready to make those and pop to town 2moz to get loads of craft things for cards etc

Skellysgirl - you've intrigued me how are you making the american one? sounds very interesting

Wilkinsons have lots of glue glitter and paints and things...cheap too..x

We made saltdough decorations last year, year before it was paperchains.. Hes made an angel for the top of the tree and he normally makes his own cards. He likes decorating handkerchiefs with Puff fabric paint, glitter fabric paints etc etc, they make nice pressies for Grandpa. Homebargains sells mugs you can decorate yourself for about £2. Oh, and we got one of those Gingerbread houses in the Boots sale Jan this year (no way would I have paid full price for that!), but ASDA are selling them for £4 at the moment (£5 in Co-op).
    I like making cupcakes.. I have a lovely little cake shop near me, they sell allsorts, fancy cutters, nice cases, toppers etc and edible glitter, it is £2.50 for a small pot (Check ebay, theyre about the same price) so its not cheap to throw around, but its nice for a treat
    Maybe you have a window or two you could decorate with that spray snow stuff.. Never done that myself though, so cant comment on it really.

Have fun! x

Original Poster

Nikki999

We made saltdough decorations last year, year before it was paperchains.. … We made saltdough decorations last year, year before it was paperchains.. Hes made an angel for the top of the tree and he normally makes his own cards. He likes decorating handkerchiefs with Puff fabric paint, glitter fabric paints etc etc, they make nice pressies for Grandpa. Homebargains sells mugs you can decorate yourself for about £2. Oh, and we got one of those Gingerbread houses in the Boots sale Jan this year (no way would I have paid full price for that!), but ASDA are selling them for £4 at the moment (£5 in Co-op).I like making cupcakes.. I have a lovely little cake shop near me, they sell allsorts, fancy cutters, nice cases, toppers etc and edible glitter, it is £2.50 for a small pot (Check ebay, theyre about the same price) so its not cheap to throw around, but its nice for a treat :)Maybe you have a window or two you could decorate with that spray snow stuff.. Never done that myself though, so cant comment on it really.Have fun! x

All of them sound fab nikki
    Edited by: "rachel.jones88" 25th Nov 2010

Original Poster

Ive got loads of craft ideas now - anyone have any nice xmas recipes? chocolate log etc...
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains109
      3. Win a Free minion usb stick1010
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2121

See more discussions