Child’s bike size advice please!

Posted 9th Apr
Good evening HUKD community...
Hoping someone can help me with a bike query! My soon to be 8 year old son has outgrown his current bike so I’m wanting to buy a new one but am stuck between 20” or 24” size wise. I’m getting confused as every bike website I’ve visited has recommended a different age bracket for the same size bikes. Typically I’d go into store to solve the problem but as we know that’s not an option!

I originally wanted to purchase this 24” bike costco.co.uk/Spo…043 but the age recommendation is 10+ and says suitable for inside leg measurement 27-30inch so I’d ruled out 24” but then...

I found this bike houseoffraser.co.uk/bra….ds which is also a 24” bike but says inside leg measurement of 24-27inch with an age recommendation of 9-12 (meets my sons leg measurement so not worried about the extra year as he’s quite tall for his age).

I’m confused as they’re both 24” bikes but come with different age/size recommendations? The second bike also comes in a 20” version with an age recommendation of 7-10 and inside leg measurement of 21-26 inches... my son is currently 24inches so it seems silly to buy something that isn’t going to last.

I guess my question is, does anyone know of any reliable sources for bike sizing height/age guidelines? What size bikes have you purchased for your child at what age?

Sorry for rambling on but I’m really keen to get it right! I know it would be ideal to wait until stores reopen however without rambling on any more waiting isn’t the ideal answer to my problem. Thanks for reading if you this far!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

23 Comments
It’s based on height, so get your sons height and then compare online height to wheel size
Karim_1709/04/2020 19:04

It’s based on height, so get your sons height and then compare online h …It’s based on height, so get your sons height and then compare online height to wheel size

I looked online at average heights for boys...
7 years 3ft 12in (121.9 cm)
8 years 4ft 2.4in (128 cm)
9 years 4ft 4.5in (133.3 cm)

My son is 7y10m and is 4ft4 so nearly the height of a 9 year old going by this chart. How do I compare this now to the wheel size?
So he is 4ft 4 meaning he needs 20” but would go for 24 inch so he grows into it

40363340.jpg
Edited by: "Karim_17" 9th Apr
What size is his current bike? Just go one size up
My sons same age as yours 8th birthday in june and he wears 9-10 10 sizes clothes hes got a 24 “
Just buy the 10+ bike from Costco, he'll grow in to it.
unless you are intending it as a surprise pop into a bike store (even Halfords) and try him on several.

You want to aim for the largest you can get him on that he is comfortable with and that really varies per child (also can via bike too).

My eldest I managed to get to 26" wheels early whilst my youngest at that same age was too much of a stretch in her riding and the limit was 24" - other than that their bikes are identical.
Imo the muddyfox one looks better for an 8 yr old
Buy the 24" - he'll grow bigger, not smaller. If the bike is a bit too big at the moment he'll cope (kids always do) & he'll soon grow into it.
Adult bikes with the same wheel size cope with height variations of at least half a meter with different frame sizes and adjustments so it's no surprise there's some variation in children's bikes too.
AL1S0N09/04/2020 19:53

What size is his current bike? Just go one size up

He currently has 16” but both 16” and 18” are recommended for age 5-7 and given he’s coming 8 and tall for his age I want something that’ll last so definitely need to skip a bike size but wasn’t sure between 20” and 24” as it appears he’s too big for 20” but too small for 24”.
sd1309/04/2020 19:54

My sons same age as yours 8th birthday in june and he wears 9-10 10 sizes …My sons same age as yours 8th birthday in june and he wears 9-10 10 sizes clothes hes got a 24 “

Thank you I think I’m going to take the plunge and go for a 24” it’s just so confusing when different websites give different age/height recommendations for them but my son is also in age 9-10/11-12 clothing so it’s good to have feedback from someone with a similar age/height child.
ChelseaRae09/04/2020 21:36

He currently has 16” but both 16” and 18” are recommended for age 5-7 and g …He currently has 16” but both 16” and 18” are recommended for age 5-7 and given he’s coming 8 and tall for his age I want something that’ll last so definitely need to skip a bike size but wasn’t sure between 20” and 24” as it appears he’s too big for 20” but too small for 24”.

Definitely get a 24” I think it will be best and like me and others have said he will grow into it ^__^
Haircut_10009/04/2020 19:59

Just buy the 10+ bike from Costco, he'll grow in to it.

It’s OOS now but I think I’m definitely going to go for a 24”, thanks
Bertz9909/04/2020 20:15

unless you are intending it as a surprise pop into a bike store (even …unless you are intending it as a surprise pop into a bike store (even Halfords) and try him on several.You want to aim for the largest you can get him on that he is comfortable with and that really varies per child (also can via bike too).My eldest I managed to get to 26" wheels early whilst my youngest at that same age was too much of a stretch in her riding and the limit was 24" - other than that their bikes are identical.

Long story short we were due to go to Disneyland but with the current situation we can’t go so I want to surprise him otherwise I would have taken him to a bike store but I don’t think any will be open at the moment anyway so my only option is to order online. Thank you though, going to go with a 24”
AL1S0N09/04/2020 20:17

Imo the muddyfox one looks better for an 8 yr old

I may have no choice now as the Costco one has since goneOOS! Thanks
Karim_1709/04/2020 19:32

So he is 4ft 4 meaning he needs 20” but would go for 24 inch so he grows i …So he is 4ft 4 meaning he needs 20” but would go for 24 inch so he grows into it[Image]

I had seen this chart but I went on a few different websites and they were all saying different sizes for different ages which confused me! Going to go with a 24” though as like you say worst case he can grow into it
Thank you everyone for your replies, I appreciate the feedback and feel more confident in my decision
We got my son this one for his 8th birthday argos.co.uk/pro…199 we went to loads of stores at the time as we had the same issue but after trying a few we decided on the 24 inch as would last him, think it seems to get confusing from this size as you appear to get different frame/ wheel combos which make them differ
jessica4109/04/2020 22:05

We got my son this one for his 8th birthday …We got my son this one for his 8th birthday https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8102199 we went to loads of stores at the time as we had the same issue but after trying a few we decided on the 24 inch as would last him, think it seems to get confusing from this size as you appear to get different frame/ wheel combos which make them differ

Thank you, I’m definitely going to go for a 24” but as you say it seems there are different frame/wheel combos which make it much more complicated, especially as going into store isn’t an option right now! Fingers crossed the one I’ve chosen is suitable
Bike shops are allowed to open at present if that helps. (But not Halfords ).
AC-ZEP-GEN-DC09/04/2020 23:41

Bike shops are allowed to open at present if that helps. (But not Halfords …Bike shops are allowed to open at present if that helps. (But not Halfords ).

Should have lead with this
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions