Chimenea -- WARNING To all who bought the clay one !!!!

Found 29th Aug 2011
We used ours on Saturday to find major cracks in it Sunday morning, its now in about 6 pieces.
Very dangerous if it fell apart whilst on !
We have a 30 mile round trip to take it back for £10
Phoned this morning for them to say they would need the product back to refund!
Very, very dissapointed!

1. Misc
  2. Sleaford
15 Comments

Banned

Just as well its only a £10 and not worth crying over then

Phoned this morning for them to say they would need the product back to … Phoned this morning for them to say they would need the product back to refund!

what a revelation!
Edited by: "boothy" 29th Aug 2011

You don't have to take it back now, just wait until you are next in the area.

they wouldnt fall apart while burning really, it will be cracking afer cooling after it has been burning and expanded

suppose if you lit a fairly small fire in it and kept it consistently burning you could fire it yourself, as it sounds like they have not been properly fire'd

not that you should have to do it

Banned

Did it rain sat night

Original Poster

Hi,
Thanks for your comments,
Actually, I am a little upset as I look forward to the nights we sit out with the chiminea on ;o(
It did not rain here on Saturday night, but even if it had of I would not have been able to move it or cover it - Too hot
We've had a chiminea for years and always been left outside to the elements and no problems.

Disposable at £10

I bet your neighbours love the smell of smoke in the air...

you only get what you pay for these days,shame tho,give off nice heat

sarahjanefay

Hi,Thanks for your comments,Actually, I am a little upset as I look … Hi,Thanks for your comments,Actually, I am a little upset as I look forward to the nights we sit out with the chiminea on ;o(It did not rain here on Saturday night, but even if it had of I would not have been able to move it or cover it - Too hotWe've had a chiminea for years and always been left outside to the elements and no problems.

Why would it upset you? its not the last one your ever going to get the chance to own, and by your own admission your going back to the shop anyway and so can get a replacement!

jeeeeez

Banned

Some folk need a reality check

It's common for the clay ones to crack, that's why no one buys them, hence they are only a tenner to buy.

If you want one, buy a cast iron one.......

Did you read the instructions:

How to use your chiminea

1. Before using for the first time, place the clay chiminea on the stand provided, on a hard flat surface. Protect the lawn, flooring and decking around it with bricks or concrete slabs.

2. Before lighting, place 50mm (2") of Gardeco Mexican lava rock or sand (not included) in the bottom in order to protect the base from direct heat.

3. Use balled newspaper, dry kindling and light with a match to get the fire going. Do not use petrol or spirit, as this could crack the chiminea.

4. The best fuel to use is dry firewood. Avoid using charcoal or coal, which can burn too hot.

5. Keep the first few fires small to allow the clay to harden.

6. It is essential to allow the clay chiminea to warm up slowly by keeping the fire small for the first 20 minutes. Add more firewood as the body of the chiminea warms up but do not build a large fire that might crack the chiminea.

7. Flames and smoke will come out of the funnel of the chiminea, while the mouth and interior will blacken with use. This is perfectly normal.

Banned

Instructions? Ppfffftt

Original Poster

......by your own admission your going back to the shop anyway and so can get a replacement!
I said "We have a 30 mile round trip to take it back for a £10" obviously
I'm not going to bother!!!
Only posted this for the safety aspect.
Post a comment
@
    Text