Chimney capping cost

Found 12th Mar
I have purchased a C-Cap, a spring-loaded plastic cowl that simply drops in your chimney, and have been quoted £75 to “fit” it !!

It will will take longer to assemble the ladders than it will to “install” the device.

Any roofers on here to give me a guide price for the job? It seems very expensive for the actual work that is required.

Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Could always pop up there and do it yourself couldn't you

As far as cost go;
> Travel to/from your property - perhaps you only want to pay for time onsite.?
> Do a job you are too scared to do - roof work terrifies me and I think its worth more than min wage let alone the cost of ladder, van, insurance, lost time for bad weather etc
> Maybe have a paid assistant - my roofers have one because, you know, in case something happens and an ambulance is needed

You bought the part, presumably to keep costs down? So there's no profit in that for the roofer

£75? Doesn't sound that bad. What were you thinking of? £20?
Seems reasonable to me, £75 or do a Rod Hull, you decide
11 Comments
Could always pop up there and do it yourself couldn't you

As far as cost go;
> Travel to/from your property - perhaps you only want to pay for time onsite.?
> Do a job you are too scared to do - roof work terrifies me and I think its worth more than min wage let alone the cost of ladder, van, insurance, lost time for bad weather etc
> Maybe have a paid assistant - my roofers have one because, you know, in case something happens and an ambulance is needed

You bought the part, presumably to keep costs down? So there's no profit in that for the roofer

£75? Doesn't sound that bad. What were you thinking of? £20?
+ public liability insurance
Sounds like a good price to me. Unless you have your own ladders and can do it yourself
Seems reasonable to me, £75 or do a Rod Hull, you decide
"It will will take longer to assemble the ladders than it will to “install” the device. " <--- so what if it does? Can the cap be installed without ladders?

The cost is the whole job as mentioned above. Be realistic and respectful of other peoples trades.
That’s reasonable. I was recently quoted similar to remove a tv aerial.

As pointed out, got you it’s a 10 min job, but it will take someone else say an hour in traveling and work time, fuel costs etc and tax.
Seems reasonable to me. Probably falls into their minimum charge. Don't forget the is a lot more to employment then time, the are the costs of travel, admin and their experience. When i did jobs I would have a minimum that was double my hourly rate and I made it clear whatever the job if it was under an hour that was the price. Can't go around spending 5 hours traveling and 3 hours working for at an standard hourly rate you would lose money.
Actually £75 is a very good price.
deleted800342
Cold
Seems reasonable to me.
Quotes I have had range from £60 to £120.

A lot of those I spoke to told me they had to pay £25 to check-a-trade, mybuilder etc which is why the prices were high.

I was guesstimating between £30-£50 but it is what it is I guess.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions