Chinese Mobile Phones

Found 5th Dec 2017
Hi, I am looking at buying a mobile phone from China. I have bought plenty of things from websites such as GearBest, LITB etc. but never a mobile phone. I see that the majority of HUKD members are delighted with the Xiaomi phones and they get great reviews elsewhere so I think I'm going to go for a Redmi Note 4 (although the price on GearBest has increased in the last hour or so, so I will leave it for a while). I know to ensure that the phone is the Band 20 version but does anybody have any further advice when buying these phones? Also, how do they compare to the Moto G5 and Huawei P8 Lite, is it worth sacrificing warranty etc. for?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
20 Comments

I would never sacrifice the warranty on a phone especially one thatsa cheap Chinese brand. Just remember to add the 20% plus handling fee on just in case you get stung that way it’s a bonus if they don’t add the vat. If it still seems an attractive price after taking those into account go for it.

You have warranty because you pay by Paypal click. No doubt Paypal will do another promo like that one again. So long as you select the standard free shipping (slow delivery) you should be fine and no extra fees will be added. The way I see it if I use my Xiaomi phone for 16 months (so far 13 months) I got my money's worth.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 5th Dec 2017

these budget Chinese directly sourced from p.r.c. sre good value xiaomi are great for ota updates
weakest point on these phones is generally the camera
Edited by: "mattmerch" 5th Dec 2017

RiverDragon835 m ago

You have warranty because you pay by Paypal click. No doubt Paypal will do …You have warranty because you pay by Paypal click. No doubt Paypal will do another promo like that one again. So long as you select the standard free shipping (slow delivery) you should be fine and no extra fees will be added. The way I see it if I use my Xiaomi phone for 16 months (so far 13 months) I got my money's worth.

Up to 15 quid to return to China, good luck with that one insured postage back to there would set you back way way more!

Dannyrobbo21 m ago

Up to 15 quid to return to China, good luck with that one insured postage …Up to 15 quid to return to China, good luck with that one insured postage back to there would set you back way way more!

Have you ever sent something back to China for a refund? Well I have click. The rewards (savings and value) far outweigh the risks you get with buying from China.

There's a paypal offer for free oversees returns, worth setting up before purchase. Not had to use it myself yet.. cross fingers

RiverDragon817 m ago

Have you ever sent something back to China for a refund? Well I have …Have you ever sent something back to China for a refund? Well I have click. The rewards (savings and value) far outweigh the risks you get with buying from China.

Yeah course I have, what an awful experience I had for my partial refund. I think everybody should be aware of the risks

Dannyrobbo8 m ago

Yeah course I have, what an awful experience I had for my partial refund. …Yeah course I have, what an awful experience I had for my partial refund. I think everybody should be aware of the risks

So that's a no then. You don't send something back for a partial refund do you, if you sent something back then you would've got a full refund. For you to agree on a partial refund then you would've flopped on the first hurdle. You must have agreed on keep the item + they give you partial refund.
First thing you always do is open a case with Paypal (ball is in your court) then whatever they offer you i.e partial payment, you say no.

Will never buy from China sticking to my iPhone x for now!

Xboxgamer32120 m ago

great contribution to the thread

RiverDragon84 h, 58 m ago

So that's a no then. You don't send something back for a partial refund do …So that's a no then. You don't send something back for a partial refund do you, if you sent something back then you would've got a full refund. For you to agree on a partial refund then you would've flopped on the first hurdle. You must have agreed on keep the item + they give you partial refund.First thing you always do is open a case with Paypal (ball is in your court) then whatever they offer you i.e partial payment, you say no.

No that’s where you are wrong, I sent it back and they disputed the fault and offered the partial refund or a return of the device at my cost. PayPal didn’t help and sided with them I pretty much ended up out of pocket. You assume everybody has a positive experience with PayPal and a Chinese company, maybe you should have a quick look at google and educate yourself it’s not all rainbows and butterflies.

Dannyrobbo30 m ago

No that’s where you are wrong, I sent it back and they disputed the fault a …No that’s where you are wrong, I sent it back and they disputed the fault and offered the partial refund or a return of the device at my cost. PayPal didn’t help and sided with them I pretty much ended up out of pocket. You assume everybody has a positive experience with PayPal and a Chinese company, maybe you should have a quick look at google and educate yourself it’s not all rainbows and butterflies.

No because you didn't open a Paypal case with them in the first place (Paypal steps in and holds the money). I know all the in's and out's of buying from China. If you opened a Paypal case (#1 thing you should've done) in the first place then they would either eventually give you a refund or ask you to send back the item tracked (depending on the value of the item).

Basically what happened was you bought an item from them and they gave you the run around because you are and still is an inexperienced buyer.

''I sent it back and they disputed the fault and offered the partial refund or a return of the device at my cost''

Soon as its tracked back to China Paypal would've refunded you (only if you'd opened a case with them BUT you didn't nor did you send anything back to them). They gave you a partial refund because you kept the item (yes you flopped on the first hurdle).

Original Poster

Xboxgamer32116 h, 33 m ago

Aren't you special.

RiverDragon812 h, 28 m ago

No because you didn't open a Paypal case with them in the first place …No because you didn't open a Paypal case with them in the first place (Paypal steps in and holds the money). I know all the in's and out's of buying from China. If you opened a Paypal case (#1 thing you should've done) in the first place then they would either eventually give you a refund or ask you to send back the item tracked (depending on the value of the item). Basically what happened was you bought an item from them and they gave you the run around because you are and still is an inexperienced buyer. ''I sent it back and they disputed the fault and offered the partial refund or a return of the device at my cost''Soon as its tracked back to China Paypal would've refunded you (only if you'd opened a case with them BUT you didn't nor did you send anything back to them). They gave you a partial refund because you kept the item (yes you flopped on the first hurdle).

Its not worth arguing with you because you clearly know the inns and outs of all PayPal cases that have ever happened or are due to happen.

However You are wrong it doesnt always go as you say all of the time a quick google will tell you otherwise if you can’t accept my turn of events.

Dannyrobbo44 m ago

Its not worth arguing with you because you clearly know the inns and outs …Its not worth arguing with you because you clearly know the inns and outs of all PayPal cases that have ever happened or are due to happen. However You are wrong it doesnt always go as you say all of the time a quick google will tell you otherwise if you can’t accept my turn of events.

Grow up kid, we both know your lying.

RiverDragon815 m ago

Grow up kid, we both know your lying.

a fault develops after use that gearbest deemed was my fault. PayPal offered no protection and sides with gearbest. Read the buyer protection around faults it’s not as clear cut as you are making out.

as regards to me lying think whatever you like I have no reason to lie, just for everybody who lives in the real world be careful buying from gearbest even with PayPal protection.

Dannyrobbo9 m ago

a fault develops after use that gearbest deemed was my fault. PayPal …a fault develops after use that gearbest deemed was my fault. PayPal offered no protection and sides with gearbest. Read the buyer protection around faults it’s not as clear cut as you are making out.as regards to me lying think whatever you like I have no reason to lie, just for everybody who lives in the real world be careful buying from gearbest even with PayPal protection.

You lie to backup your story, you never done anything you mentioned. You're just a kid with nothing better to do.

RiverDragon821 m ago

You lie to backup your story, you never done anything you mentioned. …You lie to backup your story, you never done anything you mentioned. You're just a kid with nothing better to do.

Yeah okay. you are wrong, know it and have nothing constructive to add.

Dannyrobbo28 m ago

Yeah okay. you are wrong, know it and have nothing constructive to add.

Next time you buy anything with Paypal and it develops a fault, open a Paypal case first. Then you don't have to come on here and lie.

RiverDragon87 h, 9 m ago

Next time you buy anything with Paypal and it develops a fault, open a …Next time you buy anything with Paypal and it develops a fault, open a Paypal case first. Then you don't have to come on here and lie.

Thanks for the advice...
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 6th Dec 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions