Expired

Chinese phone stuck with Customs since 8th March...

Found 19th Mar
Hey guys,

I like to think I have been a pretty savvy buyer of Chinese goods, and probably bought 20 items from China in recent years...

Never really had any major issues and always try to do my homework before buying, also usually have a general rule if buying a phone not to spend more than £80-100, as well aware the back up might not be there if things go wrong.

This time however, I might have fallen unlucky, despite using the free delivery option, I've noticed a phone I've purchased for Mrs Diddy from AliExpress has been stuck at UK customs since 8th March according to the tracking service. Previously things are usually delivered within 2-3 days of arriving in the country.

Just curious what is going to happen now?

If it is with Customs, what are the charges am I facing on a £68 Xiaomi Redmi 5A phone and how/when will I be contacted?

On previous items the true value is never usually marked on the package and a few have said "$5 MP3 player". While others say nothing about content, and very rarely do they come with a delivery note stating the price you paid. So interested how customs will work out the value.

Is there a chance the tracking facility on AliExpress might just at be saying its with Customs, but will be released and forwarded on to me with no charges in next few days?
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
You'd pay VAT and the admin fee from the courier or RM.

They can check what the model is worth I guess if they inspect the package and see it's a phone and not an mp3 player etc. as declared.

I'm amazed at how they don't inspect stuff at customs more often from China as there must be quite a few "mp3 players" being imported from there and it's impossible that hasn't caught anyone's attention. It's common knowledge Chinese vendors mark phones as mp3 players and similar.

It's more likely to be just a delay in processing anyway. There isn't really a way to know if or when you'll be contacted but if a long time passes and the tracking doesn't change then consider it as having gone missing.
Edited by: "hearts22" 19th Mar
Have you used the tracking number on the Royal Mail site?
I had this problem on an Rc car that was £27 but customs marked it as worth £250.

I just refused to pay the fees so they sent it back, emailed gearbest and once they received it back in China they sent me another exact one which got through fine.

The exact same model without the branding is over £200, also purchased the Baka 5b model for over 80% off the U.K. price but with no branding but made in the same factory. With these savings I am sticking to buying from China instead of U.K.
I had this problem too a while back. The tracking stated it was at 'Heathrow DC'. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to speed this up...
You just have to wait for it to process through customs and be delivered.
My smartphone sat there for 2 weeks before being delivered and the tracking didn't update at all following the departure from Heathrow!
mastablasta1 h, 40 m ago

I had this problem on an Rc car that was £27 but customs marked it as …I had this problem on an Rc car that was £27 but customs marked it as worth £250. I just refused to pay the fees so they sent it back, emailed gearbest and once they received it back in China they sent me another exact one which got through fine. The exact same model without the branding is over £200, also purchased the Baka 5b model for over 80% off the U.K. price but with no branding but made in the same factory. With these savings I am sticking to buying from China instead of U.K.

So they valued it correctly then.

Especially if they looked up the ‘same’ model.
Original Poster
Zak_K9 h, 13 m ago

Have you used the tracking number on the Royal Mail site?

Thank you for suggesting this!

I never knew you could track international items on the Royal Mail website, while AliExpress says it is stuck with Customs, Royal Mail are saying they tried to deliver it at the ungodly hour of 7am on Saturday (even though I don't have a card or remember hearing a knock on the door) and currently awaiting collection from my local delivery office.

I'll be heading down there tonight to collect!
hearts2210 h, 58 m ago

You'd pay VAT and the admin fee from the courier or RM. They can check …You'd pay VAT and the admin fee from the courier or RM. They can check what the model is worth I guess if they inspect the package and see it's a phone and not an mp3 player etc. as declared. I'm amazed at how they don't inspect stuff at customs more often from China as there must be quite a few "mp3 players" being imported from there and it's impossible that hasn't caught anyone's attention. It's common knowledge Chinese vendors mark phones as mp3 players and similar. It's more likely to be just a delay in processing anyway. There isn't really a way to know if or when you'll be contacted but if a long time passes and the tracking doesn't change then consider it as having gone missing.

They don't have enough time to check every package
For £68 phone the charges shouldn't be much
If custom says it's worth a lot more money then get a refund

My £210 phone only had a £12 custom charge
Edited by: "Norseg" 19th Mar
Norseg5 h, 57 m ago

They don't have enough time to check every package

I know... but I haven't heard of any of these "MP3 players" being seized . Good for those who buy from China anyway!
hearts2239 m ago

I know... but I haven't heard of any of these "MP3 players" being seized …I know... but I haven't heard of any of these "MP3 players" being seized . Good for those who buy from China anyway!

If they go 'missing'
Insurance would only give them their $5 back
Edited by: "Norseg" 19th Mar
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants