Chinese phones and installing google play

Posted 27th Oct
Hi guys I have purchased a ASUS Rog phone 2 last night on eBay , apparently it doesn’t come with google play store , and I was told that I can download it within couple of mins and it works like global version . My question is : how reliable is this in terms of functionality and security ?? will it work like the international version once Google Play is installed on it? Will it not cause any problem in the future ? Any info / advise is appreciated .
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

25 Comments
I received a Chinese smartphone as a present and honestly it was the bane of my life. Firstly it shipped with software flagged as dangerous. The packages were in the firmware image so had to flash the firmware using a photo translation program on another phone. Solving the software issues didn’t fix hardware however. This particular model had well known faults in the battery circuit and randomly ran for the hills (shut down). As with any gambling, only place the bet if you are willing to lose 100%. Good luck.
You can “sideload” google play
google.co.uk/amp…mp/
Rooting a phone and even the steps _might_ have implications on device security.
LeighChester27/10/2019 22:41

I received a Chinese smartphone as a present and honestly it was the bane …I received a Chinese smartphone as a present and honestly it was the bane of my life. Firstly it shipped with software flagged as dangerous. The packages were in the firmware image so had to flash the firmware using a photo translation program on another phone. Solving the software issues didn’t fix hardware however. This particular model had well known faults in the battery circuit and randomly ran for the hills (shut down). As with any gambling, only place the bet if you are willing to lose 100%. Good luck.

Of course I do not wanna lose , or buy a phone which will cause issues in the future, I have just read this article and looked at this YouTube video that said that the major issue will be security , because when the person tries to test it (Huawei mateb30 pro ) on “SafetyNet check “ it fails the rest , so that is a huge risk .
Edited by: "charly2019" 27th Oct
One reason that a phone is built without google play is to bypass the protection that offers. If you purchased already (hopefully with recourse) then take a look on receiving the phone.
AW007927/10/2019 22:59

https://www.gsmarena.com/asus_rog_phone_ii_zs660kl-9770.php According to …https://www.gsmarena.com/asus_rog_phone_ii_zs660kl-9770.php According to this,it comes with the Play Store .

No way ? Is it talking about the Chinese version ? I will be so happy if it comes with google play and google play services etc —- I have already messaged the seller to cancel my order if it doesn’t come with google play . Waiting for his reply . Hope for a good news : )
charly201927/10/2019 23:08

No way ? Is it talking about the Chinese version ? I will be so happy if …No way ? Is it talking about the Chinese version ? I will be so happy if it comes with google play and google play services etc —- I have already messaged the seller to cancel my order if it doesn’t come with google play . Waiting for his reply . Hope for a good news : )

If it doesn't come with Play Store,cancel it .
Edited by: "AW0079" 27th Oct
AW007927/10/2019 23:15

If it doesn't come with Play Store,cancel it .

The Chinese versions doesn’t come with google play , only global version does ... and Yah for sure , I have already asked the seller to cancel it if it doesn’t come with google play store , I don’t wanna install it and cause myself a problem .
charly201927/10/2019 23:17

The Chinese versions doesn’t come with google play , only global version d …The Chinese versions doesn’t come with google play , only global version does ... and Yah for sure , I have already asked the seller to cancel it if it doesn’t come with google play store , I don’t wanna install it and cause myself a problem .

That's the best thing to do .
Have to agree.
Sideloading the Google play apps isn't an issue.

Main issues with buying Chinese phones are...

Brand - if a smaller brand that's when you might see things like malware on it. With an Asus phone you should be fine

Bands. Chinese markets don't use the same 4g / 5g network bands as us and you often see them without band 20 which I think is used on Vodafone and three. Check it has this as this can't be sorted with software changes

The seller. No matter where I buy from, I always insist the phone comes packed and not touched by the seller. I'm not willing to have anyone other than me put software or tweak an electronic device I own, they hold far too much personal information nowadays. Ensure it comes sealed and unaltered.

Then when you get it, presuming you still do, you can install the play store apps (btw, the main reason they're not installed in Chinese phones is they don't use them in China, nothing to do with circumventing the checks) and any malware / antivirus software you'd like to give yourself note piece of mind.

Hope that helps
Asus is Taiwan...
doncoop28/10/2019 07:00

Sideloading the Google play apps isn't an issue.Main issues with buying …Sideloading the Google play apps isn't an issue.Main issues with buying Chinese phones are...Brand - if a smaller brand that's when you might see things like malware on it. With an Asus phone you should be fineBands. Chinese markets don't use the same 4g / 5g network bands as us and you often see them without band 20 which I think is used on Vodafone and three. Check it has this as this can't be sorted with software changes The seller. No matter where I buy from, I always insist the phone comes packed and not touched by the seller. I'm not willing to have anyone other than me put software or tweak an electronic device I own, they hold far too much personal information nowadays. Ensure it comes sealed and unaltered.Then when you get it, presuming you still do, you can install the play store apps (btw, the main reason they're not installed in Chinese phones is they don't use them in China, nothing to do with circumventing the checks) and any malware / antivirus software you'd like to give yourself note piece of mind.Hope that helps

Thanks for your information it really helped , I agree ASUS is a big company , the seller confirmed that the phone does come with google play ... for the condition it shows NEW but and now I asked him about if it’s brand new sealed phone and untouched , and if it comes with band 20! Confirming all that I should go a head and ask him to ship it ?
charly201928/10/2019 07:40

Thanks for your information it really helped , I agree ASUS is a big …Thanks for your information it really helped , I agree ASUS is a big company , the seller confirmed that the phone does come with google play ... for the condition it shows NEW but and now I asked him about if it’s brand new sealed phone and untouched , and if it comes with band 20! Confirming all that I should go a head and ask him to ship it ?

I would say yes if it is all sealed, has band 20 and Google play installed. That would be the global version.

If it is sealed but doesn't come with Google play but has band 20 then you're good also, just a bit of work to install the apps needed.
doncoop28/10/2019 08:05

I would say yes if it is all sealed, has band 20 and Google play …I would say yes if it is all sealed, has band 20 and Google play installed. That would be the global version.If it is sealed but doesn't come with Google play but has band 20 then you're good also, just a bit of work to install the apps needed.

Thanks for your advice once again , recent confirmation from the seller is as follows “ Yes, the phone is brand new in the box and the device it is international version. It is good with brand 20 in U.K. It will take 1-3 business days for processing after receiving payment, and 5-10 business days for shipping as our posting.

It is international version 😁 I’m so happy .
charly201928/10/2019 07:46

And ?

Mainland china retailer probably treat it as 'import'?
I doubt how likely you would get a cheaper China version.
Edited by: "Cisco060606" 28th Oct
Aren't these phones meant to have internal screen issues. A lot of people have complained to ASUS about this and ASUS aren't taking responsibility.

have a read here

and here

and here

There's loads of horror stories regarding these phones
Cisco06060628/10/2019 12:53

Mainland china retailer probably treat it as 'import'?I doubt how likely …Mainland china retailer probably treat it as 'import'?I doubt how likely you would a cheaper China version.

The seller confirmed it that it is an. International Version that comes with google play and everything . It ain’t Chinese Rom .
DevilsReaper28/10/2019 13:00

Aren't these phones meant to have internal screen issues. A lot of people …Aren't these phones meant to have internal screen issues. A lot of people have complained to ASUS about this and ASUS aren't taking responsibility.have a read hereand hereand hereThere's loads of horror stories regarding these phones

That was for the first release of Rog phone , the Rog phone 2 got launched in just September - Oct this year .
charly201928/10/2019 13:57

That was for the first release of Rog phone , the Rog phone 2 got launched …That was for the first release of Rog phone , the Rog phone 2 got launched in just September - Oct this year .

I was thinking of getting the ROG 2 but due to the problems with the other phone and number of people complaining i thought i'd give it a miss.

Went with the oneplus 7t instead
charly201928/10/2019 13:57

That was for the first release of Rog phone , the Rog phone 2 got launched …That was for the first release of Rog phone , the Rog phone 2 got launched in just September - Oct this year .

DevilsReaper28/10/2019 15:50

I was thinking of getting the ROG 2 but due to the problems with the other …I was thinking of getting the ROG 2 but due to the problems with the other phone and number of people complaining i thought i'd give it a miss.Went with the oneplus 7t instead

Looking at all the reviews on forums and YouTube about Rog Phone 2 , I must say it’s all positive and well impressive . “ One plus 7T “ That’s a good choice as well !! 🏻
charly201928/10/2019 16:08

Looking at all the reviews on forums and YouTube about Rog Phone 2 , I …Looking at all the reviews on forums and YouTube about Rog Phone 2 , I must say it’s all positive and well impressive . “ One plus 7T “ That’s a good choice as well !! 🏻

If they had a repair centre in the UK then i would definitely have gone for it. Just the thought of having to send it to taiwan if something went wrong put me off. I know its probably the same for the 7T but i had the 5T before and never had any issues
DevilsReaper29/10/2019 07:51

If they had a repair centre in the UK then i would definitely have gone …If they had a repair centre in the UK then i would definitely have gone for it. Just the thought of having to send it to taiwan if something went wrong put me off. I know its probably the same for the 7T but i had the 5T before and never had any issues

To be honest issues can occur to any phones you never know , it’s all electronics and unpredictable wether an item will be fault free for the rest of their lifetime or not. Every known brand has its own fans and customers to certain extent. But I understand that you being cautious with regard to not having their repair in Uk , but any slight negative thoughts can put you off . But ya most of these Asian phones are doing quite good considering they aren’t old in the market. Most of them has gained the trust of people ! Huawei being an example , even without google play , million of people still purchase their recent devices. Ultimately, the reviews and videos Rog 2 received within the past month since it’s been received has been quite positive generally . But OnePlus is a great company ! I had OP6 before . And I loved it .
charly201929/10/2019 08:37

To be honest issues can occur to any phones you never know , it’s all e …To be honest issues can occur to any phones you never know , it’s all electronics and unpredictable wether an item will be fault free for the rest of their lifetime or not. Every known brand has its own fans and customers to certain extent. But I understand that you being cautious with regard to not having their repair in Uk , but any slight negative thoughts can put you off . But ya most of these Asian phones are doing quite good considering they aren’t old in the market. Most of them has gained the trust of people ! Huawei being an example , even without google play , million of people still purchase their recent devices. Ultimately, the reviews and videos Rog 2 received within the past month since it’s been received has been quite positive generally . But OnePlus is a great company ! I had OP6 before . And I loved it .

Yes true, every manufacturer gets faults and i'm just being too cautious. ROG 2 is the best phone on the market hands down and decently priced and would have been my next phone if they had a base in the UK. Hope it works out for you.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants