Expired

Chinese phones and S4 Clone - Any good?

Found 16th Jul 2013
So I want to spend around £100 on a new phone, and rather than getting a crappy android phone from the UK, I thought it would be better to get a quad-core phone from China.

I've been looking at quite a few, and the price is really tempting - but I have no idea whether they will last long or not

Would any of you reccomend chinese phones, and if so which ones in particular (for £100)

This clone S4 has been tempting me: priceangels.com/PA-…tml

And this phone looks pretty good as well:
pandawill.com/cub…tml

So yeah, it would be great if you give me some advice
Thanks!
Community Updates
28 Comments
Avoid like the plague.

I bought my 12 year old sis an iPhone 5 clone, or as it's called "Goophone", had nothing but problems.

It stopped working as well, opened it up to find the battery positive wire came off, so had to re-solder it.

It's just so glitchy and crap. Ended up just getting her a proper iPhone.

You might think you're saving money, but you're not.

The specs are fake most of the time anyways and software is horrible. The same way they fake USBs as 128gb when they're like 2gb.

Do yourself a favour and buy a real phone, trust me, not worth the hassle.
I've had a Samsung galaxy note clone for nearly a year and it's been fantastic, I'm using it now. BUT just sent for an S3 clone from Amazon for my wife and an exact copy of a Note ii came instead and it was 2g junk worth about £20 so beware!
Original Poster
KM4353

Avoid like the plague.I bought my 12 year old sis an iPhone 5 clone, or … Avoid like the plague.I bought my 12 year old sis an iPhone 5 clone, or as it's called "Goophone", had nothing but problems.It stopped working as well, opened it up to find the battery positive wire came off, so had to re-solder it. It's just so glitchy and crap. Ended up just getting her a proper iPhone. You might think you're saving money, but you're not.The specs are fake most of the time anyways and software is horrible. The same way they fake USBs as 128gb when they're like 2gb.Do yourself a favour and buy a real phone, trust me, not worth the hassle.

Sounds pretty bad... D: Then again, wouldn't an actual chinese brand be more reliable? Lenovo and Huawei are brands popular in the UK which sell phones in China as well, so theres a good chance that a phone from them won't fall apart. Thanks for letting me know though!
Edited by: "hershkataria" 16th Jul 2013
Original Poster
pat915m

I've had a Samsung galaxy note clone for nearly a year and it's been … I've had a Samsung galaxy note clone for nearly a year and it's been fantastic, I'm using it now. BUT just sent for an S3 clone from Amazon for my wife and an exact copy of a Note ii came instead and it was 2g junk worth about £20 so beware!

Yeah, it depends on whether you buy from a reliable seller or not - out of interest, where did you get your galaxy note from?
hershkataria

Yeah, it depends on whether you buy from a reliable seller or not - out … Yeah, it depends on whether you buy from a reliable seller or not - out of interest, where did you get your galaxy note from?

It was from HD something or other but Dracotek is widly regarded as the best.
I have a Jiayu 3gs bought from ebay, x-man0802. Cost £136,quad core dual sim ,gorilla glass,freepost came in 10 days no taxes paid and a slip case included so I'm very pleased but you can't expect a perfectly smooth experience.I would go through ebay rather than the chinese listing sites and SERIOUSLY use paypal,so you get some kind of legal comeback ,and do check the frequency of your network(s) against the phone especially if you use 3g/4g services
A cloned phone really is not worth the hassle. Unless it is not noticeable externally/internally and software wise. Unfortunately clones in most cases means poor quality unless you know where to look or have a good supplier (pref uk based).

This is what's wrong with the world today.

You want it to look like you have an expensive phone, not get the quality and aftercare which comes with buying an expensive phone.

Completely style over substance. Hope your **** Chinese phone breaks. Still, you could pull it out and pretend it works, then you'll still look cool...
Original Poster
sancho1983

This is what's wrong with the world today. You want it to look like you … This is what's wrong with the world today. You want it to look like you have an expensive phone, not get the quality and aftercare which comes with buying an expensive phone. Completely style over substance. Hope your **** Chinese phone breaks. Still, you could pull it out and pretend it works, then you'll still look cool...

Erm...no, not at all...
I just want the best phone I can get for £100, I really don't give a crap how the phone looks.
You like randomly jumping to strange conclusions, don't you? -.-
I have the F7100 from dracotek (Note II clone) great for the price of £120.
I don't play games but the standard functions work as they should (although spellcheck doesn't work)
hershkataria

Erm...no, not at all...I just want the best phone I can get for £100, I … Erm...no, not at all...I just want the best phone I can get for £100, I really don't give a crap how the phone looks. You like randomly jumping to strange conclusions, don't you? -.-

Buying some knock off from China will certainly not be "the best phone you can get for £100"

That is a certainty.

No , the Chinese dual sim phones are a better deal than anything you can get in the UK for the same price. In the UK your paying 20% VAT for a start. Go with Dracotek and you'll have a shiny new phone in 10 days time.
Original Poster
sancho1983

Buying some knock off from China will certainly not be "the best phone … Buying some knock off from China will certainly not be "the best phone you can get for £100"That is a certainty.

The best phone I can get here for £100 is a Samsung Galaxy Ace, which is definitely not better than well-known, chinese branded phone, such as Lenovo (which actually other products in the UK). If you are so certain I can get a better phone here for £100 then please do let me know...

hershkataria

The best phone I can get here for £100 is a Samsung Galaxy Ace, which is … The best phone I can get here for £100 is a Samsung Galaxy Ace, which is definitely not better than well-known, chinese branded phone, such as Lenovo (which actually other products in the UK). If you are so certain I can get a better phone here for £100 then please do let me know...

One step up from the Ace is the Huawei G300 here, it's about £69 from Argos + a £10 top up so £79 or so. Ok so it's not massively powerful but it's great for the price.
DON'T DO IT !!

I was in China last week on a business trip and was browsing in a phone store with Chinese colleagues looking at what was on offer ...

Most of these phones are very poor build quality

All are hacked Android - some very badly.

Many cannot be changed into English - Simplified Chinese only.

The OS is not officialy Android so they cannot be flashed with custom ROMs - you get what you get.

In most cases there is either no Google Play Store or apps will not instal

All in all - AVOID

Even the educated / relatively well off Chinese avoid these are buy branded phones at near European prices because these phones are so bad / unreliable.

I guess that's why they ship the to Europe - to off load on the gulable

EliTom
Banned
I think you have to be a little clearer in what you expect. A clone may be reasonable or it may be a pile of junk. You're unlikely to get anything like the experience that you would from a decent smartphone. Think about it - Google was by all accounts breaking even or even losing money with their pricing of the Nexus 4, so if you're after something as good as that but at well under half the price then corners have been severely cut somewhere (or the specs are straight out lies with regards to some of the clones). And don't count on it being automatically 20% cheaper as you're not paying VAT, like alluded to earlier on in this thread, as the chances are you'll be paying VAT on it when it comes through customs (unless you order from a UK stockist/retailer). A "Chinese" phone could be anything from an unknown clone maker to Huawei to arguably an iPhone! You'll possibly get a little more for your money with a Huawei, Lenovo or even something like a phone from Acer. If you want to buy it in this country so you know you won't be stung for customs duties and so you are unlikely to have warranty issues then for a low to mid range phone manufacturer with good android community support and a generally reasonable to good manufacturer reputation you'll find it difficult to get better than the Huawei models.
Banned
You might find a decent clone. It's a risk though. And it's unlikely to run as smoothly as one from a more well known manufacturer. You really can't expect S4/S3/N4/HTC One performance from an £80 phone (plus import duties). Something may work and it may look fine superficially but the guts will be very different, regardless of the mark ups involved.
Terrabytes

eliTom, you have only seen a tiny fraction of what is on offer and … eliTom, you have only seen a tiny fraction of what is on offer and obviously only low end goods at that.Open your eyes.

if you say so !

EliTom
Terrabytes

The internal market is very different from the export market.

maybe you have more experinec of China that me - I just know that the Chinese guys I know in China avoid such no-name brands like the plague.

I did look at some Lenovo phones in a Lenovo shop but teh prices were similar to the UK / Europe, so not even worth the effort.

In fact most branded goods with decent / upper end quality are at European price points - only that tat is kind of cheaper in China

EliTom
Original Poster
Thanks a lot for the advice guys.
I've been thinking about it, and I think my best option is to go for a cheap Windows 8 phone, probably one of the Lumias. Since the OS is fast so a high-spec phone isn't important. I know the app store is garbage, but I have a bb so I'm pretty used to it..
Anyway, thanks again
Honestly, you won't find anything new under £130 better than the Huawei Ascend Y300 (not the older model G300 recommended above), and you can get it for as little as £59 on Pay and Go upgrade, it's unlocked no matter what network you get it on from them so any pay and go sim will do.
carphonewarehouse.com/mob…300
my phone is a 920 clone htc what a phone great phone £150

Edited by: "manit" 20th Apr 2014
I have had a Star brand phone (S3 clone) bought from Dracotek for nearly a year and it has been excellent. I have no criticisms of it at all. However, the downside with Chinese imports is that if you do get a fault it will be a huge hassle sending it back, even to a reputable company.
I don't see why you don't buy the Moto G at £99.99. It's a quadcore phone and the best you'll get for your budget. If it had been available when I got my phone, I would have bought it without a doubt.
Banned
Moto G bro.
Original Poster
X_Y

Moto G bro.

If that phone was out when I made this post, I obviously would've got that haha

Ended up getting an Xperia SP, awesome phone
boohai

I have had a Star brand phone (S3 clone) bought from Dracotek for nearly … I have had a Star brand phone (S3 clone) bought from Dracotek for nearly a year and it has been excellent. I have no criticisms of it at all. However, the downside with Chinese imports is that if you do get a fault it will be a huge hassle sending it back, even to a reputable company.I don't see why you don't buy the Moto G at £99.99. It's a quadcore phone and the best you'll get for your budget. If it had been available when I got my phone, I would have bought it without a doubt.

buy ins on ebay SquareTrade 2 yr warranty £30.99
I got one last year from ahappy deal. the phone only worked for a day. check all reviews before you buy from anyone, because it is hard to get your money back when the phone goes wrong
chris1958

I got one last year from ahappy deal. the phone only worked for a day. … I got one last year from ahappy deal. the phone only worked for a day. check all reviews before you buy from anyone, because it is hard to get your money back when the phone goes wrong

buy ins on ebay SquareTrade 2 yr warranty £30.99
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions