Chinese smartphone vs branded smartphone like apple, samsung etc.

Found 7th Apr 2016
I am currently using samsung tab s t705 as tablet and smartphone but starting to get tired of carrying it around. The phone I would like to replace it with is expensive at the moment so while I wait for the price of the phone I want to reduce, I need a stop gap phone and sell my tab s t705. I have been looking at Chinese smartphone and the specification on some of this Chinese phone are incredible at low price compare to the high price of well well known brand with smiling specifications. Looks and specifications can be deceiving though with Chinese smart phone as the price of some Chinese smart phones seem too good to be true. I would like to know if Chinese smartphones can perform well like we'll branded smartphone like apple, samsung, nexus and so on. What is the best Chinese smartphone I can buy that would work here in the uk, do I have to root a Chinese smartphone before it can perform well and install apps.

21 Comments

We have 2 doogee x5 pro phones and they are brilliant for money. On downside the Camera is poor and plastic screens. All Google apps work and we get regular software updates from doogee. My son has dropped his on a tiled floor and it's still going. I have no idea if they came rooted but worked out the box on all UK network bands. Band 20.. 800 mhz is the one that's sometimes missing form chinese phones, which is the 02 network. And sometimes Vodafone in some areas I think? Been looking at a Ulefone Power myself. Wow. Get that one! That's some high spec phone for the money.Or consider the doogee f5. Both work on all UK networks. Also pay using PayPal if you buy direct for protection as I would not pay direct using a card. I think gearbest take PayPal

try the Huawei p8

I would say it all depends... The well known Chinese brands are recommended like Xiaomi, Oppo, Meizu etc. You don't have to root the phone, however if the phone exist only in china you may have to flash a new rom to get rid of all the chinese crap..
I bought my Lenovo Vibe Shot from merimobiles.com, they have great reviews and I can recommend them too. They also have an option for couple of quid extra to get your phone flashed and / or rooted so you don't have to worry about it...

I have an oukitel which I find to be really good. It could have something to do with the huge 100000mAh battery that means I've used it pretty much all day so far and it still has 88% battery :). I know Oukitel do some other really good phones too. Not as many bells and whistles as an HTC / Samsung but definitely worth a look.

got doogee x5 pro for £33 good value disposable phone

oneplus is a good chinese brand

Depends on the brand, Xiaomi for example sold over 70 million phones last year and are selling significantly more phones than LG & Sony.

I'd only buy a Chinese phone from one of the very big players, the cheap ones have decent specs but awful software which is never updated.

The other thing to watch out for is that most importers/3rd party sellers load software with dodgy apps or adware built in so make sure you know how and are happy to wipe and reflash it yourself, otherwise kiss your data goodbye.

I personally wouldn't buy a phone from the major brands again, I've had many Chinese phones like One Plus, Elephone, Cubot, Doogee, UMI and they have been perfectly adequate sometimes the camera isn't as good as the larger brands but I very rarely use it anyway. If you stick to the larger of the Chinese brand you will be fine. If you get stuck with ROM's theirs plenty of advice on XDA. My personal favourite Chinese phone is the Elephone P8000 as it has a large 4150Mah battery which lasts me 2 days between charges. The best phone for the money would be the Doogee X5 Pro for IIRC £34. Just make sure the phone has all the UK bands on it as some can't use Vodafone or O2 sims as the band is missing.

try the Honor 5x. It has a UK guarantee, UK support and decent spec for 149 when on special. Has support for UK 4g, good camera and great battery life. Avoid the Chinese imports with no warranty that don't support all UK 4g bands.

Look at Xiami or ZTE.

I've had a Doogee x5 pro and initially I loved it. However, it freezes often, the camera is pointless, recovery is in chinese and some chromecast compatible apps refuse to see the chromecast (you don't even get the cast button on some). You've no support if you buy direct from china.

Paddy_o_furniture

Look at Xiami or ZTE.I've had a Doogee x5 pro and initially I loved it. … Look at Xiami or ZTE.I've had a Doogee x5 pro and initially I loved it. However, it freezes often, the camera is pointless, recovery is in chinese and some chromecast compatible apps refuse to see the chromecast (you don't even get the cast button on some). You've no support if you buy direct from china.

​Doogee use there own version of Android so compatability with chrome cast or Android boxes is a known issue.

People bang on about these knock off elephant phones and what not, but stick with what you know. In every Gearbest thread of one of them dodgy phone threads there is always an issue...

Apps in chinese, updates not working, signal crap

Steer clear

benjammin316

People bang on about these knock off elephant phones and what not, but … People bang on about these knock off elephant phones and what not, but stick with what you know. In every Gearbest thread of one of them dodgy phone threads there is always an issue...Apps in chinese, updates not working, signal crapSteer clear

​Yeah, don't ever try anything new, that'd lead to chaos......

reddeviluk

​Yeah, don't ever try anything new, that'd lead to chaos......

It's not about trying new things Bro. Just read the Gearbest threads on here, if that doesn't put you off, good luck to you and your chinese apps

But that's the distributor, not the phones... I bought something faulty from Tesco, so never shop at another supermarket again?

wayners

​Doogee use there own version of Android so compatability with chrome c … ​Doogee use there own version of Android so compatability with chrome cast or Android boxes is a known issue.

Source?
Chromecast is a basic android feature now, really shouldn't have problems with it in any build.

PayPal are doing free world wide returns just now. Handy if you get a faulty one.

go for vodafone smart ultra 6

I don't really consider Huawei a "Chinese" brand anymore. Most people use the term to refer to lower quality phones that have risks buying buy Huawei phones are readily available from UK retailers so if there's a problem then just take it back to the shop.
Also aren't parts for most phones manufactured in china/asia anyways? In which respect u could say Samsung Sony etc are Chinese phones coz they are still made there lol

Original Poster

little_green

I don't really consider Huawei a "Chinese" brand anymore. Most people use … I don't really consider Huawei a "Chinese" brand anymore. Most people use the term to refer to lower quality phones that have risks buying buy Huawei phones are readily available from UK retailers so if there's a problem then just take it back to the shop. Also aren't parts for most phones manufactured in china/asia anyways? In which respect u could say Samsung Sony etc are Chinese phones coz they are still made there lol

I know it's funny, yeah most products are made in China for well know brand but yet most people won't buy products from a China man. I suppose if your buy from a well know brand to know where to take the product if fault. Buy from a China man then you may have no where to trace him back to if item is faulty.

ibl0010

I am currently using samsung tab s t705 as tablet and smartphone … I am currently using samsung tab s t705 as tablet and smartphone but starting to get tired of carrying it around. The phone I would like to replace it with is expensive at the moment so while I wait for the price of the phone I want to reduce, I need a stop gap phone and sell my tab s t705. I have been looking at Chinese smartphone and the specification on some of this Chinese phone are incredible at low price compare to the high price of well well known brand with smiling specifications. Looks and specifications can be deceiving though with Chinese smart phone as the price of some Chinese smart phones seem too good to be true. I would like to know if Chinese smartphones can perform well like we'll branded smartphone like apple, samsung, nexus and so on. What is the best Chinese smartphone I can buy that would work here in the uk, do I have to root a Chinese smartphone before it can perform well and install apps.

I had a ZTE BLADE S6 lasted 9months till I dropped it in water.great phone,good battery and camera, worked fine with all apps on Android looked like an iPhone 6 from distance really dont have anything bad to say about it. Now on a 2year contract with a Z5 but if this phone packs up I will go Chinese again
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants