Chinese takeaway meal ideas?

Found 30th Jan 2016
Hi there,
I'm not an adventurous eater and i don't know what most of the foods on a chinese menu are... I just want to know what foods you can get from a chinese which ARE NOT sweet and sour or very spicy. I also dont want to sink as low as fish and chips...
Thanks
Community Updates
MiscMealTakeaway
35 Comments
Crispy duck! (Nom nom nom)
Beef in black bean
Try the foo yung omelette dishes or crispy duck with pancakes or anything you prefer; beef, chicken prawn or mixed vegetables in black bean sauce or oyster sauce ?
we like beef in black bean sauce with broccoli or mushroom. i'm also a big fan of tofu mixed veg, normally comes in a light sauce. chicken chow mein is a classic but tends to be greasy, chicken or special fried rice is normally nice. lemon chicken is good if done right, otherwise can be a bit gloopy. of course, a lot depends on the chinese restaurant you are ordering from. make sure you read reviews first.
Original Poster
Thanks for responses. I like the sound of dishes with Duck The chinese i am ordering from is long established and has a lot of regulars so im sure i can trust them
chuckiedoll

Crispy duck! (Nom nom nom)

It's the only answer!

Crispy duck pancakes with Hoi Sin Sauce, yum.

Also, seaweed. Which I think is deep fried cabbage? but man is it tasty
Edited by: "benjammin316" 30th Jan 2016
kung po?
char sui and mushrooms. My favourite is beef in blackbean
My favourite is special fried rice. Usually comes with various meats, prawns, peas. Yum yum...
As others have said, anything in black bean sauce, seaweed and my kids favourite duck and pancakes.
Kung po is a hot dish which is nice but I prefer garlic, salt and chilli dishes.
Now got then urge for Chinese or Thai, which for me means a long drive for a decent one.
Original Poster
liamf12

As others have said, anything in black bean sauce, seaweed and my kids … As others have said, anything in black bean sauce, seaweed and my kids favourite duck and pancakes.Kung po is a hot dish which is nice but I prefer garlic, salt and chilli dishes.Now got then urge for Chinese or Thai, which for me means a long drive for a decent one.

​Haha i knew it would end up making people want to get a chinese tonight Lol. Thanks for the explanation, Black bean sauce has been mentioned numerous times so might go for that and duck. I will let you lot know what i get in the end and my opinion after eating...
Mixed meat (sometimes called house special) chow mein.
Original Poster
King Prawn foo yung and noodles????
Original Poster
noodles or rice?
Original Poster
Sadly Not but i have had Sweet and sour Pusi in the past..
Beef or chicken in black bean sauce is tastiest I think.
I get chicken chow mein, basically chicken, noodles and veg (you can ask for without the veg, i do) with a light flavoured sauce, I'm not good with strong flavours or spicy things, but this is perfect.

Edited by: "lizzie3" 30th Jan 2016
Another vote here for special chow mein. My local takeaway does crispy shredded chilli beef which is really nice too. You could ask for it without fresh chilli.
Ask for Sweet & Sour chicken with curry sauce or gravy instead of the sweet & sour sauce.. It's just chicken bits in batter..
Char Sui fried rice with a carton of curry sauce !

Some good suggestions above, particularly Crispy Duck Pancakes, Crispy Shredded Chilli Beef , Lemon Chicken and any Chow Mein of your choice.

If you can take a little heat, Singapore Noodles with King Prawns etc. are delicious. Chinese Style Duck is also lovely if you want rice with your Duck. Enjoy.
Original Poster
Thanks for your answers everyone. I ended up getting King prawn foo yung and noodles. Its very nice but there is just too much! My plate is piled up to the ceiling! Might go for one of the chow mein dishes next time. thanks again
Yep, chow mein is nice. So that's now duck & pancakes, seaweed, chicken in black bean, special chow mein, special fried rice (gotta have rice), pork with chilli, salt and garlic, crispy shredded beef and peking style pork for us. Looks like Chinese for breakfast tomorrow too, yum.
A bit late now, but I like a chicken or house special foo yung with chips and a pot of curry sauce, what is it with chinese takeaway chips, they aren't especially good as a standalone, but with a chinese meal they are perfect
Edited by: "mikey_d" 30th Jan 2016
Just ordered Chinese. Damn. Thanks OP....
satay
Kung Po chicken, if you're not very adventurous it's a little step up from sweet n sour chicken, but with nuts and a bit of chilli thrown in. TBH it depends on your takeaway. If you buy from anywhere that offers free chips and rice with number 1-100 you may aswell go to your local chippy,lol.
Downtheturf

Thanks for your answers everyone. I ended up getting King prawn foo yung … Thanks for your answers everyone. I ended up getting King prawn foo yung and noodles. Its very nice but there is just too much! My plate is piled up to the ceiling! Might go for one of the chow mein dishes next time. thanks again

It won't go to waste, you'll be hungry again in about an hour. X)
steamed dumplins either with veg or other meat in them
crispy chilli beef , pancake roll
Banned
deeky

Beef or chicken in black bean sauce is tastiest I think.

Sweet and sour fish fingers with special mushy pea rice.
Banned
I got a chinese the other day and the chips were well over done and the jumbo sausage was well dry, wont be eating there again. Ive always found a chinese that can do good chips always does great chinese.
Banned
lizzie3

I get chicken chow mein, basically chicken, noodles and veg (you can ask … I get chicken chow mein, basically chicken, noodles and veg (you can ask for without the veg, i do) with a light flavoured sauce, I'm not good with strong flavours or spicy things, but this is perfect.

Chicken chow mein in black bean sauce is awesome.
365pizza

Sweet and sour fish fingers with special mushy pea rice.

Isn't there someone on here who is a bit of an expert on Chinese matters? Not you, obviously.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants