Chirping/beeping sound in the house which we can not locate

Posted 21st Feb
Hi guys,

as in title, since 3-4 weeks we have chirping/beeping sound (basically sounds like smoke alarm battery dying) in our house, which we are unable to locate and stop.

The sound is the loudest upstairs, in our back bedroom.

We thought that it may be a smoke alarm, as it sounds like that, we have changed the battery, tested it but it is not that.

We thought that it may be a smoke alarm of our neighbors, I read that the sound of dying battery in smoke alarm goes for 7 days - but it has been almost 30 and it has not stopped.

The sound is in even intervals of 30-60 seconds throughout a day, 24/7.

It started to get really annoying, as we have no clue what it is and how to stop it. For some reason it does not seem to come from our house, it is impossible to locate and we have no battery powered devices in our house besides smoke detectors.

Any ideas?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Larlen21/02/2020 20:28

Obviously there's a submarine in your loft.
Do you have a cat flap?!

When we moved into our first house 11 years ago we did not realise they had a battery operated cat flap. It used to beep every 5 minutes. It was TORTURE.

After HOURS of hunting the house, checking smoke/carbon alarms, gas meters and boilers etc I sank against the back door at a complete loss. Then it bleeped right in my ear

Probably doesn't help...but my therapist said I needed to talk about it more.

Hope you find it!
Do you have a carbon monoxide detector my old one bleeped when batteries were low
38 Comments
Did you check ALL smoke alarms?
Buckyball21/02/2020 20:27

Did you check ALL smoke alarms?

We have two in our house and we replaced batteries in both of them (even though they were no beeping, just to be sure).
Do you have a cat flap?!

When we moved into our first house 11 years ago we did not realise they had a battery operated cat flap. It used to beep every 5 minutes. It was TORTURE.

After HOURS of hunting the house, checking smoke/carbon alarms, gas meters and boilers etc I sank against the back door at a complete loss. Then it bleeped right in my ear

Probably doesn't help...but my therapist said I needed to talk about it more.

Hope you find it!
...actually...read your post again...I hope you don't have a cat flap upstairs
Do you have a carbon monoxide detector my old one bleeped when batteries were low

We have two in our house and we replaced batteries in both of them (even …We have two in our house and we replaced batteries in both of them (even though they were no beeping, just to be sure).

Outright remove the batteries from all the smoke alarms that you know of and see whether if the beeping continues. If the beeping continues then at least you know 100% that it is nothing to do with the alarms (either due to low battery or a fault causing them to beep). Also, some home cordless phones also beep when low on battery.
Sorry @Larlen that sounds incredibly frustrating

Haven’t got anything remotely helpful to add I’m afraid.

Hope you feel better @Jason for sharing your cat flap story
myusernamehasgone23421/02/2020 20:42

Sorry @Larlen that sounds incredibly frustrating Haven’t got a …Sorry @Larlen that sounds incredibly frustrating Haven’t got anything remotely helpful to add I’m afraid.Hope you feel better @Jason for sharing your cat flap story

On the topic of flaps have you seen my latest discussion

is that too far

AndyRoyd21/02/2020 20:55

Or more obviously: some other battery-powered device stored in loft ?
Could it be you're house alarm, ours beeps when we have a power cut and continues until we reset from the control pad, due to the main unit being in the loft that's where the sound comes from on ours
Oh this sounds so frustrating!

I take it you've actually seen your neighbours since the noise started and there's no possibility of it being some form of alarm in their house?

My first thought was that it sounds like something in the loft, have you tried going up there to see if it's any louder in the loft?
If you have solar panels your control box beeps if it’s not producing any power
@ me when you find out please, I’m intrigued now
Smoke alarm in loft maybe. People do put them there
Kids toys, worst ones are the ones that talk in the middle of the night but we had those stupid hamsters going off when ours were younger when the batteries went low.
If you can narrow it down to a room, maybe turn out your cupboards and drawers. I could hear a noise similar to what you describe when I was at my folks some time ago, quite faint so they couldn't hear it but it was driving me mad. Turned out to be some electronic device stashed in the cupboard.
Sounds like the neighbours have a smoke alarm which is warning you that the battery is running out.
Do you have an electronic safe hidden under the floorboards or behind a picture and the battery's low?
Edited by: "esar" 22nd Feb
Our yale alarm beeps intermittently if the WiFi box loses power or signal. Has next door got a house alarm?
I have no idea....though I really want to hear the outcome!!
Not to add to your woes, but your house is probably bugged and the beeps could be distress signals to the mothership in Wuhan.
eslick21/02/2020 22:32

Kids toys, worst ones are the ones that talk in the middle of the night …Kids toys, worst ones are the ones that talk in the middle of the night but we had those stupid hamsters going off when ours were younger when the batteries went low.

Yep, we've had quite a few kids toys that make some unusual noises when the batteries are going down.

Also musical clothing, particularly xmas jumpers. We had one stashed in a vacuum bag in the loft, and every so often it would shift and trigger 'jingle bells'. It's amazing how loud a jumper can be late at night!!
To distinguish the exact frequency and tone of the sound, try You Tube. Typing in "beeping sound every 30 seconds or a Minute" provides some interesting, relevant results. Hopefully this will help track back the incessant mechanical device that is creating the noise.
Have you checked for bird nests etc
we had the same problem and it was a faulty smoke alarm. ours was a mains one with battery backup.
have you turned the electric off in your house to see if it stops?
Scoot5621/02/2020 20:36

Do you have a carbon monoxide detector my old one bleeped when batteries …Do you have a carbon monoxide detector my old one bleeped when batteries were low

my tenant kept hearing a beep in the lounge so i told them it was the smoke alarm and that they should buy a new battery for the alarm. they replaced the battery only to realise it was the carbon monoxide detector, which was in the through kitchen.
Is anyone else worried that we have not heard back from the OP!
Burglar alarm battery?
mork-0922/02/2020 10:45

Is anyone else worried that we have not heard back from the OP!

tinnitus
Thanks for all the responses. We have checked the attic yesterday, but nothing there either. Our neighbors have been away for almost a month time and it does not seem that they are back yet so we think it may be something in their house; will try to speak with them when we see them.

Still odd, as the beeping continues for over three weeks already and I read that dying battery sound lasts for seven days at max.

Will see!
An aeroplane has crashed into their house and that is the ping from the black box. Don't worry, they only last 30 days so it will stop soon.
Larlen22/02/2020 15:58

Thanks for all the responses. We have checked the attic yesterday, but …Thanks for all the responses. We have checked the attic yesterday, but nothing there either. Our neighbors have been away for almost a month time and it does not seem that they are back yet so we think it may be something in their house; will try to speak with them when we see them.Still odd, as the beeping continues for over three weeks already and I read that dying battery sound lasts for seven days at max.Will see!

Well it's obvious if they have been away for almost a month and the sound has been going on for almost a month that it's going to be from their house.Could have saved us all this trouble if you told us that in the first place.

So obvious that it's their answerphone.
Larlen22/02/2020 15:58

Thanks for all the responses. We have checked the attic yesterday, but …Thanks for all the responses. We have checked the attic yesterday, but nothing there either. Our neighbors have been away for almost a month time and it does not seem that they are back yet so we think it may be something in their house; will try to speak with them when we see them.Still odd, as the beeping continues for over three weeks already and I read that dying battery sound lasts for seven days at max.Will see!

Turn your electric meter off see if it goes.

Edit just read the above comment.
Edited by: "MR1123" 22nd Feb
m1keyp1key22/02/2020 17:55

Well it's obvious if they have been away for almost a month and the sound …Well it's obvious if they have been away for almost a month and the sound has been going on for almost a month that it's going to be from their house.Could have saved us all this trouble if you told us that in the first place. So obvious that it's their answerphone.

it is more worrying that the OP can hear the sound from inside the neighbour's house. the walls must be paper thin.
mutley122/02/2020 18:49

it is more worrying that the OP can hear the sound from inside the …it is more worrying that the OP can hear the sound from inside the neighbour's house. the walls must be paper thin.

I can hear our answerphone from the bottom of our garden, depending which way the wind blows. Sound carries especially if the window frames have vents in them.
m1keyp1key22/02/2020 18:52

I can hear our answerphone from the bottom of our garden, depending which …I can hear our answerphone from the bottom of our garden, depending which way the wind blows. Sound carries especially if the window frames have vents in them.

i can sometimes hear the neighbour's phone ringing if i am in the garden but not when i am inside the house.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants