choice of 2 laptops

Found 22nd Apr 2017
trying to decide on 2 laptops. obviously I am aware one is a laptop the other is 2 in 1 but say we ignore that and the price. what is the better laptop?
uk-store.acer.com/swi…r-6
or
currys.co.uk/gbu…tml

1. Ask
  2. Laptop
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Laptop
17 Comments

Yoga has discrete graphics and i7 but is slightly bulkier
Acer lighter and slimmer with integrated graphics and i5
Which is better depends on if you want light and slick or more powerful but slightly bulkier - both nice though.

Edited by: "Bertz99" 22nd Apr 2017

Specs are similar on both. Both have full HD screen, both have i7.. Don't worry too much about the processor generation, 8GB ram on both...I would go with Lenovo. It has dedicated graphics.
Edited by: "yogSH" 22nd Apr 2017

Tbh they're both pretty poor choices for the money.

Original Poster

ritchiedrama

Tbh they're both pretty poor choices for the money.

​acer has 15% off at the moment bringing it down to £552.49 including delivery. is that still not a good deal? is there another laptop I should look at?

yogSH

Specs are similar on both. Both have full HD screen, both have i7.. Don't … Specs are similar on both. Both have full HD screen, both have i7.. Don't worry too much about the processor generation, 8GB ram on both...I would go with Lenovo. It has dedicated graphics.

Link on Acer gives "Intel® Core™ i5-7200U processor 2.50 GHz"
Edited by: "Bertz99" 22nd Apr 2017

quincie87

acer has 15% off at the moment bringing it down to £552.49 including … acer has 15% off at the moment bringing it down to £552.49 including delivery. is that still not a good deal? is there another laptop I should look at?

Like your deal for the yoga it got heat as ssd 8gb jump up in cost. You can see in other deals the Dell at 350 that went hot with similar spec is scratch and dent and not an ultrabook. With that discount it's a good buy imo.

How important is the 14'' screen? Can the laptop be 15.6''?

I'm currently using a lenovo yoga 15.6" i7 6500U with 920m and i love it, it has the best touchpad out of any laptop I've ever used and the build quality is top notch. The speakers are also really good.
Edited by: "scottydd" 22nd Apr 2017

Original Poster

RiverDragon8

How important is the 14'' screen? Can the laptop be 15.6''?

​I will use it on the sofa alot and feel a full size laptop will be too big

scottydd

I'm currently using a lenovo yoga 15.6" i7 6500U with 920m and i love it, … I'm currently using a lenovo yoga 15.6" i7 6500U with 920m and i love it, it has the best touchpad out of any laptop I've ever used and the build quality is top notch. The speakers are also really good.

What do you mean by 920m?

It makes me laugh when people knock the spec for the money and then don't offer an alternative. My dad used to have a saying that went something like .......Put your money where your mouth is.

I have owned both of these brands and not looked at the specs yet but i am swayed by Lenovo and if the Lenovo has dedicated graphics then that would be a deciding factor for me. Lenovo appear to offer good value and tend not to come with anywhere near as much bloatware as Acer. Have you had a look at Dell or HP X360 range.
Edited by: "Smartguy1" 22nd Apr 2017

Original Poster

Smartguy1

It makes me laugh when people knock the spec for the money and then don't … It makes me laugh when people knock the spec for the money and then don't offer an alternative. My dad used to have a saying that went something like .......Put your money where your mouth is.I have owned both of these brands and not looked at the specs yet but i am swayed by Lenovo and if the Lenovo has dedicated graphics then that would be a deciding factor for me. Lenovo appear to offer good value and tend not to come with anywhere near as much bloatware as Acer. Have you had a look at Dell or HP X360 range.

​yes looked at both but can't get them quite as cheap

quincie87

yes looked at both but can't get them quite as cheap

I am on my laptop now so will have a look. I don't like using my tablet for surfing. Problem of getting older is I prefer a bigger screen.

The i5 7th generation processor of the Acer scores a marginally higher score on Benchmark compared with the i7 6th generation processor of the Lenovo. Although looking at a review I just read it says the Lenovo has an i5 7th gen processor.

The Lenovo has a nice 360 degree hinge system same as my Yoga 300 which comes in real handy for watching videos.

The Lenovo has a backlit keyboard, very handy. Optional on the Acer

For me I think I would choose the Lenovo based on your two options although I do find myself looking at the following. Not sure if a 13.3" is suitable for your requirements but if so then this is another one in the mix. It doesn't state which version of the i5 processor it has but the same model on PC World says its the same as the Acer you been looking at. If you buy from Very and choose BNPL at the checkout you get 10% back off the list price. They do it automatically after a month or 6 weeks or so.

very.co.uk/del…prd

Edited by: "Smartguy1" 22nd Apr 2017

Original Poster

Smartguy1

I am on my laptop now so will have a look. I don't like using my tablet … I am on my laptop now so will have a look. I don't like using my tablet for surfing. Problem of getting older is I prefer a bigger screen.

​yeah I have a 10 inch tablet but never use it.

Original Poster

Smartguy1

The i5 7th generation processor of the Acer scores a marginally higher … The i5 7th generation processor of the Acer scores a marginally higher score on Benchmark compared with the i7 6th generation processor of the Lenovo.The Lenovo has a nice 360 degree hinge system same as my Yoga 300 which comes in real handy for watching videos.The Lenovo has a backlit keyboard, very handy. Optional on the AcerFor me I think I would choose the Lenovo based on your two options although I do find myself looking at the following. Not sure if a 13.3" is suitable for your requirements but if so then this is another one in the mix. It doesn't state which version of the i5 processor it has but the same model on PC World says its the same as the Acer you been looking at. If you buy from Very and choose BNPL at the checkout you get 10% back off the list price. They do it automatically after a month or 6 weeks or so. http://www.very.co.uk/dell-inspiron-13-5000-series-intel-core-i5-processor-8gb-ram-256gbnbspssd-133-inch-full-hd-touchscreen-2-in-1-laptop-with-optional-microsoft-office-365-home-aluminium-silver/1600153251.prd

​thanks for the help. 13.3 is fine. looking at anything between 13 and 14 as think that will be best for using on sofa

quincie87

​thanks for the help. 13.3 is fine. looking at anything between 13 and 14 … ​thanks for the help. 13.3 is fine. looking at anything between 13 and 14 as think that will be best for using on sofa

I've just bought the Lenovo one that you linked and it's being delivered tomorrow so let me know if you have any questions about it, if that helps at all
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions