Choice of gaming pc

Found 26th Dec 2017
I have a few options, see below and reply with what you think is best for fairly undemanding gaming and general use:

1. amazon.co.uk/dp/…4NA
Specs in the pic at the bottom, 6 months old, buying off someone for £650
Wait for January sales/build one
2864658-hY6i0.jpg

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
8 Comments

Looking at number 3 the Corsair VS350 PSU is a throw away PSU as It's a low end PSU. You'll been looking at 550 minimum. Wouldn't touch a 1050ti either as the GTX 1060 3GB is only a little more but a huge upgrade.

kester7615 m ago

Looking at number 3 the Corsair VS350 PSU is a throw away PSU as It's a …Looking at number 3 the Corsair VS350 PSU is a throw away PSU as It's a low end PSU. You'll been looking at 550 minimum. Wouldn't touch a 1050ti either as the GTX 1060 3GB is only a little more but a huge upgrade.

550W for a 65W CPU and a 1050ti? Do you also suggest an 400bhp car to drive to the shops?

@BeardedBanker Would you be buying a new screen anyway? If so then I'd go for a PC with an AMD card rather than an nVidia one. Freesync produces flat out better results than a comparably priced budget nVidia system & monitor.

EndlessWaves24 m ago

550W for a 65W CPU and a 1050ti? Do you also suggest an 400bhp car to …550W for a 65W CPU and a 1050ti? Do you also suggest an 400bhp car to drive to the shops?@BeardedBanker Would you be buying a new screen anyway? If so then I'd go for a PC with an AMD card rather than an nVidia one. Freesync produces flat out better results than a comparably priced budget nVidia system & monitor.

So when OP wants a better GPU they need to buy another PSU ? The GTX 1050ti is really a high end htpc card, better than a GT 1030 but expensive price per performance against a GTX 1060 3GB.

kester7653 m ago

So when OP wants a better GPU they need to buy another PSU ?

Not 'when'. If he wants to upgrade in a few years time and if he doesn't want to change the computer at the same time and if he's going to go up the range enough to use up the large margin a 350W PSU has for his current system and if cards haven't come down from their current very high power consumption and so on.

It's worth pointing out as a possibility, but your post gave completely the wrong impression - especially when the current trend in tech is towards smaller and lower power devices. When a Nintendo Switch can run Skyrim on 11W, using hundreds of watts to run slightly newer versions of the same sort of games isn't going to last forever.

kester7653 m ago

expensive price per performance against a GTX 1060 3GB.

A GTX 1060 3GB is 35% more expensive and 45% faster. That's a performance per watt difference of just 6.8%. It's pretty much identical price per performance.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves2 h, 8 m ago

550W for a 65W CPU and a 1050ti? Do you also suggest an 400bhp car to …550W for a 65W CPU and a 1050ti? Do you also suggest an 400bhp car to drive to the shops?@BeardedBanker Would you be buying a new screen anyway? If so then I'd go for a PC with an AMD card rather than an nVidia one. Freesync produces flat out better results than a comparably priced budget nVidia system & monitor.

I will be using a fairly old screen for now, then when I do upgrade to a better graphics card I will look into a better monitor.

kester761 h, 44 m ago

So when OP wants a better GPU they need to buy another PSU ? The GTX …So when OP wants a better GPU they need to buy another PSU ? The GTX 1050ti is really a high end htpc card, better than a GT 1030 but expensive price per performance against a GTX 1060 3GB.

I would not be upgrading for a good few years until I have some more money for a monitor as well.

I know with the i7-7000 option I am compromising on graphics card but I am not too fussed about ultra graphics and 100fps. I expect graphics cards will get cheaper after the mining craze and then I'll get a much better GPU and power supply.

Was just getting some confirmation that it was a good deal as it looks good enough for my needs now, and easily upgrade-able in the future (only need GPU and PSU).

Thanks for the replies guys!

BeardedBanker1 h, 0 m ago

I will be using a fairly old screen for now, then when I do upgrade to a …I will be using a fairly old screen for now, then when I do upgrade to a better graphics card I will look into a better monitor. I would not be upgrading for a good few years until I have some more money for a monitor as well. I know with the i7-7000 option I am compromising on graphics card but I am not too fussed about ultra graphics and 100fps. I expect graphics cards will get cheaper after the mining craze and then I'll get a much better GPU and power supply.Was just getting some confirmation that it was a good deal as it looks good enough for my needs now, and easily upgrade-able in the future (only need GPU and PSU).Thanks for the replies guys!

Up to you but a GTX 1060 will do 1080p gaming and VR.

PSUs last between several builds so work out good value for money and not much more than budget models. It seems you're saving a small amount for a big hit in performance. PSUs tend to just increase in price so no saving there.

I'm not sure about the mining craze as it has been going that long I doubt it will just fizzle out.

Original Poster

kester7634 m ago

Up to you but a GTX 1060 will do 1080p gaming and VR.PSUs last between …Up to you but a GTX 1060 will do 1080p gaming and VR.PSUs last between several builds so work out good value for money and not much more than budget models. It seems you're saving a small amount for a big hit in performance. PSUs tend to just increase in price so no saving there.I'm not sure about the mining craze as it has been going that long I doubt it will just fizzle out.

If I did my own build I would get a better PSU but the one above is already built with the smaller PSU, and I would be buying secondhand. I'll have a think but thanks for your help

BeardedBanker17 m ago

If I did my own build I would get a better PSU but the one above is …If I did my own build I would get a better PSU but the one above is already built with the smaller PSU, and I would be buying secondhand. I'll have a think but thanks for your help

No way of negotiating the PSU out ?
Post a comment
@
    Text