Choosing a laptop - it's a minefield. Please help choosing one.

Posted 17th JunEdited by:"jaykaygeetoo"
Dear fellow HUKD members,

I know there are billions of factors that decide how to choose a laptop, but hopefully I have enough information provided for one of you experienced geniuses to help me choose one.

Requirement:
- Heavy Zoom usage with webcam
- large and reliable storage
- fast and quick boot
- great screen resolution and
- Security is important
- Must be Windows (as I have a lot of word documents that I need between other devices)
- looking for a reliable brand (Not HP)
- budget: £1000????
- 15" - 17"

Thank you in advance, to the wonderful community for helping out.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

77 Comments
you forgot the main one - picking a budget
And budget?
I knew that I forgot the most important thing. #faceplam - updated
jaykaygeetoo17/06/2020 22:43

I knew that I forgot the most important thing. #faceplam - updated

Btw HP is reliable.

Your needs don't really need that much performance at all, do you basically just want something that is pretty?

What screen size do you want.
Edited by: "Jordan_Taylor" 17th Jun
Jordan_Taylor17/06/2020 22:46

Btw HP is reliable.Your needs don't really need that much performance at …Btw HP is reliable.Your needs don't really need that much performance at all, do you basically just want something that is pretty?What screen size do you want.

My last few interactions have been shocking.

What do you mean pretty?

15"-17"
Edited by: "jaykaygeetoo" 17th Jun
jaykaygeetoo17/06/2020 22:50

My last few interactions have been shocking.What do you mean pretty?15"-17"

Pretty meaning designed to look nice
Lenovo seem to have some ok offerings
Edited by: "Toby_126" 17th Jun
Slightly over budget, might be able to find cheaper elsewhere but that’s one decent spec laptop

johnlewis.com/len…mQ=
Toby_12618/06/2020 00:02

Slightly over budget, might be able to find cheaper elsewhere but that’s o …Slightly over budget, might be able to find cheaper elsewhere but that’s one decent spec laptop https://www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-ideapad-s540-15iwl-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i7-processor-8gb-ram-1tb-ssd-geforce-gtx-1650-15-6-inch-full-hd-mineral-grey/p4875308?tmad=c&tmcampid=7&s_share=jlappios_Y29tLmFwcGxlLlVJS2l0LmFjdGl2aXR5LkNvcHlUb1Bhc3RlYm9hcmQ=

lenovo.com/gb/…3UK?cid=gb:sem|se|google|g-uk-shopping-pla-brand-amd-consumer-laptops-TFSM1Q12YF||||9464675033|94327824897|pla-876091443016|shopping|shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyKyBubqK6gIVF4myCh2EUw5IEAQYASABEgLsd_D_BwE

I prefer this £925 with code CUPO75
Jordan_Taylor18/06/2020 04:50

https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-5-series/Lenovo-Legion-5-15ARH05/p/82B50043UK?cid=gb:sem|se|google|g-uk-shopping-pla-brand-amd-consumer-laptops-TFSM1Q12YF||||9464675033|94327824897|pla-876091443016|shopping|shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyKyBubqK6gIVF4myCh2EUw5IEAQYASABEgLsd_D_BwEI prefer this £925 with code CUPO75

OP seems cautious (reasonable when about to drop a grand) so will likely not be comfortable with a non-UK-merchant.
You could buy a £500 machine & upgrade the ram & ssd. Job done for £600
AndyRoyd18/06/2020 05:10

OP seems cautious (reasonable when about to drop a grand) so will likely …OP seems cautious (reasonable when about to drop a grand) so will likely not be comfortable with a non-UK-merchant.

Cautious buying from lenovo?
Jordan_Taylor18/06/2020 05:23

Cautious buying from lenovo?

I wouldn't be the only punter reluctant to throw a grand at a foreign merchant.
AndyRoyd18/06/2020 05:25

I wouldn't be the only punter reluctant to throw a grand at a foreign …I wouldn't be the only punter reluctant to throw a grand at a foreign merchant.

box.co.uk/82B3002QUK-Lenovo-Legion-5i-17_2943314.html
box.co.uk/82B50042UK-Lenovo-Legion-5_2938438.html

Then I'd just get the 17" version from box.

I've ordered pc's from lenovo before with no issues but whatever floats your goat

I like the Legion 5, it's got a decent chassis
Edited by: "Jordan_Taylor" 18th Jun
AndyRoyd18/06/2020 05:25

I wouldn't be the only punter reluctant to throw a grand at a foreign …I wouldn't be the only punter reluctant to throw a grand at a foreign merchant.

Is there a maker of pcs in the UK?
Jordan_Taylor18/06/2020 05:31

box.co.uk/82B3002QUK-Lenovo-Legion-5i-17_2943314.htmlbox.co.uk/82B50042UK-Lenovo-Legion-5_2938438.htmlThen I'd just get the 17" version from box.I've ordered pc's from lenovo before with no issues but whatever floats your goatI like the Legion 5, it's got a decent chassis

Lenovo via Box = full UK-based consumer obligations so no issue.
Willy_Wonka18/06/2020 05:33

Is there a maker of pcs in the UK?

"Maker" is not the issue; "merchant" is. Many foreign merchants hide their foreign location behind seemingly UK store fronts.
AndyRoyd18/06/2020 05:37

"Maker" is not the issue; "merchant" is. Many foreign merchants hide their …"Maker" is not the issue; "merchant" is. Many foreign merchants hide their foreign location behind seemingly UK store fronts.

So who would you advise buying from?
Requirement:
- Heavy Zoom usage with webcam - Anything should work without your after a specific type of web cam built in
- large and reliable storage - how large? Always make backups to an external location
- fast and quick boot - so ssd just need to know the size
- great screen resolution - 1080 or are you looking for higher?
- Security is important - the user is the biggest security risk, just use common sense and ensure the AV is always upto date
- Must be Windows (as I have a lot of word documents that I need between other devices) - Without they are using specific functions Word documents can be opened on pretty much any os including online via the official Microsoft office portal/apps
- looking for a reliable brand (Not HP) - HP is reliable a lot of businesses use them because of the reliability....
- budget: £1000????
- 15" - 17" - Which one? 17" is a lump to travel with due to the shape and will notably heavier. You can also get a monitor if you need a larger screen, but can't reduce the size of the laptop.
Toby_12618/06/2020 00:02

Slightly over budget, might be able to find cheaper elsewhere but that’s o …Slightly over budget, might be able to find cheaper elsewhere but that’s one decent spec laptop https://www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-ideapad-s540-15iwl-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i7-processor-8gb-ram-1tb-ssd-geforce-gtx-1650-15-6-inch-full-hd-mineral-grey/p4875308?tmad=c&tmcampid=7&s_share=jlappios_Y29tLmFwcGxlLlVJS2l0LmFjdGl2aXR5LkNvcHlUb1Bhc3RlYm9hcmQ=

This seems really nice. Thank you!!
Slightly over the budget is not an issue,

Thank you!!
Willy_Wonka18/06/2020 05:16

You could buy a £500 machine & upgrade the ram & ssd. Job done for …You could buy a £500 machine & upgrade the ram & ssd. Job done for £600

You have not met me and never seen my skills on sorting things.
joedastudd18/06/2020 09:45

Requirement:- Heavy Zoom usage with webcam - Anything should work without …Requirement:- Heavy Zoom usage with webcam - Anything should work without your after a specific type of web cam built in- large and reliable storage - how large? Always make backups to an external location- fast and quick boot - so ssd just need to know the size- great screen resolution - 1080 or are you looking for higher?- Security is important - the user is the biggest security risk, just use common sense and ensure the AV is always upto date- Must be Windows (as I have a lot of word documents that I need between other devices) - Without they are using specific functions Word documents can be opened on pretty much any os including online via the official Microsoft office portal/apps- looking for a reliable brand (Not HP) - HP is reliable a lot of businesses use them because of the reliability....- budget: £1000????- 15" - 17" - Which one? 17" is a lump to travel with due to the shape and will notably heavier. You can also get a monitor if you need a larger screen, but can't reduce the size of the laptop.

Fantastic idea about the screen size.
Jordan_Taylor18/06/2020 10:43

https://www.box.co.uk/82B3002QUK-Lenovo-Legion-5i-17_2943314.html also a …https://www.box.co.uk/82B3002QUK-Lenovo-Legion-5i-17_2943314.html also a good shout

Are these box ones only exclusive to them, as I cannot find this model anywhere else?
jaykaygeetoo18/06/2020 10:45

Are these box ones only exclusive to them, as I cannot find this model …Are these box ones only exclusive to them, as I cannot find this model anywhere else?

No, it's just recently released so taking time to roll out

Over budget and over kill but this is a beautiful machine,
currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-rog-zephyrus-g14-14-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-gtx-1650-ti-512-gb-ssd-10206074-pdt.html

I think it's got a webcam in the box?

Tbf the recommendations I'm making are all overkill for anything you want to do but i guess it allows you the power to do what you want and keep some resale value.

If you wanted something to just hit the nail on the head then you don't need to spend anywhere near 1k
Jordan_Taylor18/06/2020 10:57

No, it's just recently released so taking time to roll outOver budget and …No, it's just recently released so taking time to roll outOver budget and over kill but this is a beautiful machine, currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-rog-zephyrus-g14-14-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-gtx-1650-ti-512-gb-ssd-10206074-pdt.htmlI think it's got a webcam in the box? Tbf the recommendations I'm making are all overkill for anything you want to do but i guess it allows you the power to do what you want and keep some resale value.If you wanted something to just hit the nail on the head then you don't need to spend anywhere near 1k

Never thought buying a laptop would be such a difficult decision..

That laptop definitely looks lot packed in the box...except a built-in webcam, Thank you!!
jaykaygeetoo18/06/2020 11:24

Never thought buying a laptop would be such a difficult decision..That …Never thought buying a laptop would be such a difficult decision..That laptop definitely looks lot packed in the box...except a built-in webcam, Thank you!!

No worries, feel free to dm me with any questions so your discussion doesn't get full of my comments etc.
41134331-RXQCP.jpg
They also do a dark grey one
Jordan_Taylor18/06/2020 11:26

No worries, feel free to dm me with any questions so your discussion …No worries, feel free to dm me with any questions so your discussion doesn't get full of my comments etc.[Image] They also do a dark grey one

That is a thing of beauty!! Thank you!
jaykaygeetoo18/06/2020 12:07

That is a thing of beauty!! Thank you!

No worries, worth watching a few reviews and stuff too
Looking for the perfect laptop is truly a minefield. After 1 year and 6 laptops all I can say is don't rush into it. Only get it when you are 1000% satisfied that that is the perfect one.
notalwaysright1919/06/2020 03:24

Looking for the perfect laptop is truly a minefield. After 1 year and 6 …Looking for the perfect laptop is truly a minefield. After 1 year and 6 laptops all I can say is don't rush into it. Only get it when you are 1000% satisfied that that is the perfect one.

Get one with a good rated processor & solid build & then just add ram & upgrade SSD if required.
notalwaysright1919/06/2020 03:24

Looking for the perfect laptop is truly a minefield. After 1 year and 6 …Looking for the perfect laptop is truly a minefield. After 1 year and 6 laptops all I can say is don't rush into it. Only get it when you are 1000% satisfied that that is the perfect one.

The problem is that by the time I have liked one after days of research, someone comes along and says, "Why don't you go for extra something." All the research gone out of the window.
jaykaygeetoo19/06/2020 11:16

The problem is that by the time I have liked one after days of research, …The problem is that by the time I have liked one after days of research, someone comes along and says, "Why don't you go for extra something." All the research gone out of the window.

All these people who give such advice are the building blocks towards the end result. And if you're paying that much you might as well go for the best.
Willy_Wonka19/06/2020 03:46

Get one with a good rated processor & solid build & then just add ram & …Get one with a good rated processor & solid build & then just add ram & upgrade SSD if required.

People say this like it's easy
notalwaysright1919/06/2020 11:55

All these people who give such advice are the building blocks towards the …All these people who give such advice are the building blocks towards the end result. And if you're paying that much you might as well go for the best.

Agreed and finding that is so difficult.
jaykaygeetoo24/06/2020 12:37

Agreed and finding that is so difficult.

Keep going. You'll get there in the end and It'll be worth it.
deleted11933
Is battery or weight important to you?

My work laptop costs £2k and yet I cannot get 2 external monitors to work on it without crashes if I put one up to 1440P.

My personal laptop cost me £50 second hand and then I dumped in an SSD. It is more than adequate for normal usage.
A £400 laptop will do the job, and add an external monitor for maybe £120. Pocket the cash. But that is just me.
Still not found the one you want mate?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants