Chopping Boards. Wood v Bamboo?

22 replies
Found 8th Nov 2016
I'm after some new chopping boards for the kitchen. It seems a lot of them are now bamboo, and not wood.

Can anyone tell me which are the best and whether shelling out for a good wooden one is worth it?

Thank you.

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.

22 Comments

I hate seeing the grime and dirt ingrained in a wooden chopping board. And I never use one. I use plate as the dirt in the chopping board really puts me off. I don't use chopper. I use a pair of scissors and use a serrated knife on a plate.

doesn't make any difference imo. I have both.

Original Poster

davewave

doesn't make any difference imo. I have both.

Which would last longer? Wood or bamboo?
And would my sharp knives cut into the bamboo one?

Banned

bamboo better
just ask the pandas

Banned

Marble or Steel
Edited by: "YouDontWantToKnow" 8th Nov 2016

aym280

I hate seeing the grime and dirt ingrained in a wooden chopping board. … I hate seeing the grime and dirt ingrained in a wooden chopping board. And I never use one. I use plate as the dirt in the chopping board really puts me off. I don't use chopper. I use a pair of scissors and use a serrated knife on a plate.

Cool story oO

chimp14uk

Which would last longer? Wood or bamboo?And would my sharp knives cut … Which would last longer? Wood or bamboo?And would my sharp knives cut into the bamboo one?

bamboo is harder than wooden

Wood or bamboo will eventually score and mark. I think granite is probably the best.

Glass?

More hygienic IMHO.

I would say glass is the best.

Glass and granite boards aren't for chopping.

Buy a good quality wood one and it will last 20 years, look fantastic, and is just as hygienic as any other.

I use glass. No problem.

RO4CHY

Wood or bamboo will eventually score and mark. I think granite is … Wood or bamboo will eventually score and mark. I think granite is probably the best.

themorgatron

Glass and granite boards aren't for chopping.Buy a good quality wood one … Glass and granite boards aren't for chopping.Buy a good quality wood one and it will last 20 years, look fantastic, and is just as hygienic as any other.

Indeed. Glass and granite boards will damage your knives.

I've had both, still got the wooden one but the bamboo one split. Check Amazon. amazon.co.uk/dp/…7RJ

Bamboo is better than other woods, tougher and resists cuts for longer.

Wood is better than plastic, wood releases natural antiseptics that kill bacteria.

Plastic is better than marble or glass, as they dull the knife blade very quickly.

Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice, I think I will invest in some bamboo ones.

God help those knives when people are recommending glass. (Negating any trolling comments).

Gentle_Giant

Bamboo is better than other woods, tougher and resists cuts for … Bamboo is better than other woods, tougher and resists cuts for longer.Wood is better than plastic, wood releases natural antiseptics that kill bacteria.Plastic is better than marble or glass, as they dull the knife blade very quickly.

Remember that this just means it halts the spread of bacteria through the board and doesn't mean you can just ignore basic food prep. Also you need to regularly season the board with cutting board oil.
commonsensehome.com/woo…ds/

Edited by: "kester76" 9th Nov 2016

Bamboo - I've tried all sorts - glass or granite will blunt your knives faster.

Bamboo cleans easily and is tougher than wood too.

kester76

Remember that this just means it halts the spread of bacteria through the … Remember that this just means it halts the spread of bacteria through the board and doesn't mean you can just ignore basic food prep. Also you need to regularly season the board with cutting board oil.http://commonsensehome.com/wooden-cutting-boards/

Dont worry, I have always got 5 stars from the food inspector when he turns up.

Yes, you have to follow normal hygiene rules, but the doomsayers who claim that bacteria can grow in the cuts on wooded boards are wrong - due to the natural properties of the wood.
You have to be MUCH more careful with plastic boards, as they also cut up; if you have to use plastic (I do at work), you need to use VERY hot water, use colour coded boards, and replace them regularly.

Gentle_Giant

Dont worry, I have always got 5 stars from the food inspector when he … Dont worry, I have always got 5 stars from the food inspector when he turns up.Yes, you have to follow normal hygiene rules, but the doomsayers who claim that bacteria can grow in the cuts on wooded boards are wrong - due to the natural properties of the wood. You have to be MUCH more careful with plastic boards, as they also cut up; if you have to use plastic (I do at work), you need to use VERY hot water, use colour coded boards, and replace them regularly.

I bring out the festering damp sponge lol
Like others I tend to use kitchen scissors to cut meat as I can't be trusted with a sharp knife

how about one of those silicone mats that you can now buy. I don't have one myself but in interested in anyone's opinion of them.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I’m in dire need of a dash cam with remote viewing capability over 4G914
    2. Computer upgrades67
    3. Dog advice please. Think my Labrador is dying after catching the cold77
    4. Any ideas for eye glare protection from computer screens?89

See more discussions