Christmas

Posted 1st Dec
I want to discuss what I should get for my parents for Christmas. Or should I get them money. I don’t know! Help!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
Ask them if there's anything they'd like. I hate "tat" been bought for me and I would rather somebody buy me something I actually want
I'd ask aswell. It may take away the element of surprise but it's better to get it right I think..
The older I get the more I hate waste, I have been known to think (to myself) "I wish you'd have kept the money" when my other half buys me flowers for instance..
People want to show their love and care I guess, but ultimately it's not the stuff that counts.. they might want something like a day out with you, I dunno..
How old are they?
Love.
No really.
You could book them a stay at a hotel for a weekend or get them experience vouchers so they can book something themselves?
No idea, never met them
Second vote for the experience vouchers. I'm 64, and we've been married 41 years. Got everything we need and if we want something we buy it. Our kids used to buy us what they 'thought we needed'.Most of it is in a drawer somewhere, or the loft. Then my daughter bought us an experience package. We went to the wedgewood factory, and stayed in a hotel nearby. Had a great time. Half the fun was choosing something ourselves.
Totally recommend the experience option, and totally recommend Wedgewood tour to anyone.
Maybe afternoon tea somewhere nice.
Oh because we know your parents well enough to provide suggestions...
nannafish01/12/2019 09:28

Maybe afternoon tea somewhere nice.

This is a good shout. Afternoon tea at the ritz is a lovely experience. Took my mum for her birthday and it’s so worth the money. About £50 a head
Izzy Wizzy let's get banned.🧞
Speaking as a parent with grown-up children, there really is nothing that they can buy me that I need or want and I suspect that is why you are posting your question.

The trouble really is that marketing and peer group pressure insists that we spend, spend, spend and that has made us largely forget that, whatever you beliefs are at this time of the year, spending time with family should come first.

To me, it is an absolute farce that Person A buys Person B a present that they likely do not want or need for £25 and Person B gives Person A a present that they likely do not want or need for £25 and then rinse and spin for everyone else in the exchange of gifts. With that scenario, everyone is better off not buying anything.

On that vexing question of presents, I have tried to get everyone to buy in to setting a maximum spend of, say, £10 and the following idea.

Either the gift is edible and so eaten before or by New Year or fun(ny) so that when the fun(ny) wears off it can go to the charity shop or into recycling.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions