Christmas (Festivus) treats - Top 2 from Which irrespective of price

Found 21st Nov 2017
Results of ... blind taste test of mince pies, Christmas puddings, fizz and red wine. Again, it means a couple of extra stops when you’re buying your Christmas food, but we think it’s worth it when the alternative means settling for less.

Top 2 of each

Mince Pies
M&S The Collection Mince Pies £2.50/6
71% Best Buy The clear winner for most of our experts, who felt that the fruitiness and citrus notes of the juicy filling live up to the pretty appearance of these prize pies. One expert also praised the seasoning of the pastry, which helps to bring out the buttery flavour.

Asda Extra Special All Butter Mince Pies £1.85/6
69% These star-topped pies are good all-rounders. Experts praised the selection of fruits in the lightly-spiced mincemeat. The crumbly, buttery pastry was also a hit, with our panel rating these pies highly for texture.

Pudding
Lidl Deluxe 24-month matured Christmas pudding £11.99, 907g (£13.22/kg)
81% Best Buy Packed with a ‘good variety of nuts and fruit,’ this pudding impressed our panel. They liked the texture, and the differently sized fruits and nuts gave it a cracked homemade look. Some of our panel praised the ‘boozy aroma,’ although they felt the amount of alcohol made this quite an adult pud.

Sainsburys Taste the Difference 18 Month Matured Cognac Laced Christmas Pudding £9, 900g (£10/kg)
75% This pudding has a good level of fruit and a great aroma of spice. There are large chunks of nut in it though, which put one of our experts off.

Champagne
Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label Ponsardin NV Champagne £39 ( LINK £24 - 25% off / 6 bottles)
83% Best Buy It may be the most expensive fizz on test, but our panel praised the ‘rich and opulent style’ of this Champagne. They felt that it was nicely balanced and had ‘good length of flavour’. One of our panel felt it would benefit from aging for a couple more years.

Waitrose Blanc de Noirs Brut NV Champagne £21.99
82% Best Buy This is the cheapest of our Best Buys. It has flavours of lemon sherbet and a nicely balanced acidity. Our panel thought this was a complex style, and one thought that it would be a good Champagne to drink with a meal.

Prosecco
Spar Prosecco Valdobbiadene DOCG £12
78% Best Buy With a ‘pleasant balance’ and ‘meaty, savoury style’, our experts liked this prosecco. It has flavours of pear and white peach and a ‘lovely fizz’. It is the priciest prosecco on test, but look out for discounts when you pop to the corner shop.

Asda Fillipo Sansovino Prosecco £7.98
77% A nice balance of sweetness and acidity make this a very drinkable prosecco. It’s ‘fruity’ and ‘floral’ with ‘clean, fresh and light aromas’.

Red Wine
Tesco Finest GSM 2015 £8 ( LINK £6 - 25% off / 6 bottles)
77% Best Buy One of our panel described this red as ‘bright, juicy and fleshy’, and another thought it was classy and fresh. It’s got good style and structure GSM is a blend of Grenache, Syrah and Mourvèdre.

Co-op Fairtrade Irresistible Malbec 2015 £7.49
76% This wine was well-liked by our expert panel. It’s a ‘big, fat’ style with lots of robust flavours and a jammy style. It’s not an easy going wine for serving at a party though.
Community Updates
Misc
8 Comments
Champagne and a Gucci mince pie.........noice
Mince pies and red wine.
david_wavid2 h, 45 m ago

Mince pies and red wine.

I do hope you have the Christmas you deserve.
I make my own Xmas pudding, Delia's recipe is great.
davewave44 m ago

I do hope you have the Christmas you deserve.

Thank you and a very merry Christmas to you.
Awww, I can feel the good will to all men in here. Isn't this lovely?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants